1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Fraggle Rock Animated

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Count von Count, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Active Member

it's never too late to start planing for 9\24\08, which would also be a good time.
    Also, what is the "more than one person tribute"?
  2. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

It is when a majority of the Muppet personalities from SS, TMS, & FR all joined together in tribute to their creator. The tribute can be viewed here.
  3. Colbynfriends

Oh, thats what it was. its so obvious. thank you for helping me. this video makes me want to cry, so does the one from Jim's Memorial Service, though I prefer this version, there both equaly Heart warming
  4. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Agreed. Seeing nearly all--minus those of Labryinth & Dark Crystal (and those for other franchises via The Creature Shop)--of Jim's creations standing there and pouring their hearts and soul out into the tribute was nothing short of awe-inspiringly tearjerking and heartfelt. :D
  5. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Huh ... I remember watching this ... and I honestly don't remember seeing the Fraggles there ... weird...
  6. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Oh they're there. Gobo, Wembley, and someone else are there in the very back, also pouring out their heart and soul (though it is probably Jerry Nelson voicing Robin and Gobo--as the song is being sung by everyone--but with different performers manning each of the puppet characters).
  7. Colbynfriends

I think the other Fraggle is Mokey, but t'm not sure. Let me check.
    Edit: it is Mokey, but she isn't in the back. the only other muppets in the back are: Statler, Waldorf, Sam the Eagle, and Lew Zeland.
  8. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Well, I just mean that the Fraggle gang are behind most of the other characters & are hard to make out.
  9. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I believe that it's currently titled "Comedy Night Done Right"
  10. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

References like Star Trek, Oz, and Jetsons, as they were used in the show, would fall under parody law. The only time Disney was skiddish about it is when they released the The Tick DVD's, and were afraid Marvel would sue them for the use of a parody character. Of course, at that time Disney and Marvel were in a dispute over the Saban produced Marvel shows (Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, etc) that Disney acquired when they bought ABC family.

But for the actual film footage of Star Wars, Indiana Jones, et Al, not to mention stuff that Columbia let them use (as they were in partnership with Henson at that time), then we'd have the problem. But I do feel, if they really wanted to release it on DVD, they could just go out of order, and start from the last season, or just do "Best Ofs", as they used little or no found footage in most of those episodes (and quite a few only used public domain stock Black and White Footage).

Question is at this point, do they even care to release them on DVD?

I believe he was talking about Scary Scary Monsters, a brief product idea that resulted in a bunch of kids books, and nothing much else. Not to be confused with what you're thinking about, Little Muppet Monsters (AKA Muppets, Babies, and Monsters). LMM was only a failure because Jim didn't think it was a good fit, and personally canned the show after 3 episodes.
  11. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

I honestly thought it was of a much lower quality than the original Fraggle Rock, and not even as well thought out or animated as Muppet Babies. For the most part they used the same songs from the original TV series and wrote new stories around them using an all new cast that sounded nothing like Jerry, Dave, Steve and the rest of the gang. It just seemed like such a waste of effort when the original was far better anyway.
  12. I actually really enjoyed the animated series when it was on the air! I've gone back and watched the episodes again recently, and I still think they're great. Much better than some of the "material" that passes for children's cartoons these days.
  13. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Yeah, but for the time period it aired in, it was bested by various other cartoons. At least the original series was the best, surefire thing of 1983. ^_^
  14. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Indeed. Instead of the ego maniac he is now, Hogan in the 80's was actually worth cheering for. Now, the only real people--sans very few of the new faces (and I stress "very few", like Mr. Kennedy [Ken-ne-dy] & M.V.P)--worth rooting for are the Brothers of Destruction, The Undertaker & Kane.

But just as the "E" now lacks the ingenius spark of The Attitude Era (due to lack of competition, what with TNA buring itself ala WCW of old), the animated version of Fraggle Rock was nothing without the puppeteered original to prop it up. :D
  15. Drtooth

Well, the cartoon was good for what it was... and frankly, the animation was better than Muppet Babies (first season animated into aside) ever was. That last season where everything was brightly colored to the point where it was blinding especially.

But I always wondered... why not just take 13 episodes of the TV show, edit them down to fit the time slot, and just rerun them for Saturday mornings instead?

But once again, this was all us poor kids got, since FR was on cable, and a premium station at that. Took me until I was 20 something to see full episodes.

Anyway-
    You know, I tried to watch that, but I couldn't. I mean, had they actually wrestled, it would have been a much better show. Oddly enough, I'm a bigger fan of animated wrestling than the real stuff... Ultimate Muscle, Mucha Lucha, and even Celebrity Death Match. But I felt something was missing. It was a wasted oppertunity, due to censorship guidelines anyway. Seemed like a routine cartoon with just a few famous names attatched to it. Kinda depressing actually. But I did love 2 things about it. Cap'n Lou Albano didn't do his own voice, yet a couple years later, Dic cast Lou as Mario (the best Mario there's ever been, IMO). And I love how Brad Garret did the voice of the Hulkster. Shame that he's tied up with that unfunny new show, since Brad was a great VA.
  16. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

I got lucky, I guess, 'cause even though I personally didn't have cable, I had nearby family or friends that did & I saw a majority of the episodes when they intially aired. It was just misfortune that ended up taking me from the fandom until I rediscovered my Muppet adoration and thereby joined this site.
  17. Count von Count

Count von Count Active Member

Much better than some of the "material" that passes for children's cartoons these days. -------stephen
    That's true!
  18. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Agreed. Regardless of the version, Jim Henson, Jerry Juhl, and the rest of the writers and cast knew what they were doing when they made the show.

*hopes to show the original puppeteered episode Fraggle Wars, to show how pointless fighting amongest members of the same species is, whether in the same nation or in other nations (i.e. Iraq)*

Opening Theme

Fraggle Wars Part 1
    Fraggle Wars Part 2
    Fraggle Wars Part 3

Closing Theme

Now, if a show geared primarily for children--yet beloved worldwide by both children and adults--can show "mature" adults how to respect the balance of life, then surely, people--of all ages, genders, lifestyles, creeds, or what have you--can learn from it! ^_^
  19. Drtooth

That depends. There is some great stuff out there. You just have to look very, very hard. TMNT (before that FF relaunch the toy company rushed them into- another story for another day) and Spectacular Spider-Man are among the best new things I've seen in recent years. And Tom and Jerry Tales (with an episode even written by Joe Barbera shortly before his death) is amazingly close to the original (if you compare it with the other TV versions, which frankly were terrible. Even the Hanna Barbera version)

But the show stuck as close as possible to the original puppet version as closely as possible. The character personalities were all in tact, and most of the the voice actors were good (Junior Gorg being the furthest from anything even remotely the same).

Something we could drive into everyone's heads a million times, and our higher ups will still tell us it's in everyone's best interrests to shove violence upon others. Even going as far as warping religious texts. Yes, we need Fraggles again in this day and age, but only for those who are able to listen.