Fraggle Rock fanfic: Everything Seems To Sing

Redsonga

Reaction score
"Homesick? I am not homesick…" The sound of Brio's low soft spoken voice to her left where the small fraggle had wandered back to walk with Marray without her noticing made Mokey hop in surprise . "How silly…"

"Aren't you now, Honey?" Marray said, the air alive with the unspoken weight of something in his voice Mokey could not quite understand.

"I am not..only..the water did…" Brio trailed off, her tone betraying what might have been a dreamy look, if the area behind her glasses was not filled with the blankness of pale green skin.

"Oh ho, here we go again, the 'water of the Great Pond shining with the fire of coal' bit." Marray shouted with a sigh of exasperation.

"I think it sounds pretty." Brool's gentle boom echoed after Marray's remark so quickly, Mokey was almost certain of some sort of mind link between the whole group that would have spanned even greater distances.

Brio leaned toward Mokey waving her hands in slow dramatic motions on the surrounding cave walls, the faint accent she had heard before creeping back into her voice.

"The water of the Great Pond would shimmer so clearly each midday... it would make the coal like living fire of white and the pink Stinging Ones dance..the waves so tasting of salt."

"It sounds wonderful." Mokey breathed at the imaginary picture of endless surf.

"It sounds fine," Marray butted in, his normally clam partly hidden tail twitching a little. " It’s the underlining beat those Wavggles lay down that isn't as nice as their home."

Brio glanced toward the ground a little as if weighted down by a quick reminder of an old shame, while Mokey looked on, puzzled.

"How could fraggles not be nice?"

"I am afraid my people were less that caring to Marray. Jail did not suit him."

"Your people had jail?" Mokey echoed in surprise, rolling the unfamiliar word over in her mouth like a spoonful of slimy okra soup. "But that's…that is, fraggles never.."

"Ah, pay it no mind, Lily." Marray said with a laugh, putting a hairy arm around her shoulder. "It all water under the sky, a song that's been played and all that…"

'Lily?' Mokey mouthed silently, before she was whisked away by the cat like performer who had taken to whispering in her ear, Lanford chewing weakly but protectively on the edge of the guitar case on his back.

"Anyway, it has come to my mind that the last time we were together, we were never introduced in the most understanding of introductions."

Mokey pulled slightly away from Marray to dislodge the chewing Lanford from the cat's back as politely as one could stop a carnivorous plant from devouring a instrument.

"But.. Cantus already told me your names…"

"Ah yea, our boss may have started you off, but let me be your guide though the wonderful world of elaboration."

He bowed down deeply in a gentlemanly fashion where they had reached the front of the line, walking just behind the minstrel leader in step.

"I am Marray-Babok-Carbunkel-Snickerend-Macfur-The 3rd." He pointed upward toward the much taller Cantus with a serious nod.

" I'm head of keeping our fearless leaders' mind attached to something rockside now and then."

"He does his job..well." Cantus said simply, giving the smaller creature a return nod of acknowledgement.

Mokey heard someone mummer something in a language she had never heard before behind them.

"That long title is only his stage name." Brio chimed in helpfully in conclusion.

Marray whipped around behind Brio, resting his furry chin on her head as she bit down on the edge of her muzzle ever so slightly.

"This sweet dear is Brio. She gets us where we're going."

Brio glanced upward at her traveling companion.

"I draw the maps, the stars and rock moss, they get us where we are going."

Marray flashed the glasses wearing fraggle a wide smile and made his way over to the next member of their band, spinning Mokey back to look at the large loin like beast with whoop.

He patted the big creatures' oversized banjo at his side with a satisfying thumping sound.

"This big softie is my best buddy, Brool. He's in change of food and all the necessaries.."

Mokey felt an involuntary shiver run from her head to the tip of her tail as Brool leaned down to look her in the eye, a look that once upon a time, she was almost sure of it, meant this monsters' kind had made a dinner of dozen a fraggles at least once a week.

"You eat much?" Brool asked, his deep echoing tone that grew from his teeth lined jaws not at all matching his light high singing voice.

"No…at least, I don't think I do…" Mokey peeped with a quick shake of her head.

"That's good…we don't have much.." Brool added, his giant voice dying down into an sorrowful rumble.

"It's… okay," Mokey said, reaching out to give the big creature the best reassuring pat she could manage. " I'm sure I won't mind…"

"And last but not least we've got the little guy, Balsam .."

Marray pointed out into a seemly random shadow along the cave wall as it gave a loud click at the sound of the name.

"Doesn't talk much, sings more. He's our scout."

The small shadow darted here and there before drawing near again to their traveling line.

"Scout? What does he.. scout for?" Mokey rubbed her eyes after trying to follow the small musicians path.

"Anything that we do not wish to become acquainted with at the present time."

Cantus answered as Balsam landed on his back for a moment, making a faint whirring sound of agreement before flying off again to hop among the rocks.

"…And where we're going that's an awfully long list." Marray finished.

"O..oh…Is it really?" Mokey asked, mostly to herself, the reality of her undertaking just now beginning to leak over the edges of her early loneliness as she rubbed one of Lanford's remaining leafs for comfort.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Whoa...The conversations between Mokey & the Minstrels seem so real and geuine. I could totally see it within my mind's eye. Well done. Oh, and more please?

Redsonga

Reaction score
Whoa...The conversations between Mokey & the Minstrels seem so real and geuine. I could totally see it within my mind's eye. Well done. Oh, and more please?
I'm glad you like it :smile:. There will be more of course:excited:

Redsonga

Reaction score
A new part should be ready in a couple of days, this is just a note to say the the FF.Net edited version of this fic (with pictures) can also be found now on FanNation, a rebirth of the Fanlib website :smile:. (Also, this site has the feature of linking stories into a series, which I am going to use with Midnight Place and To Sing, I'm just not sure what to call this group of stories yet :stick_out_tongue: Oh well...)

wwfpooh

Reaction score
which I am going to use with Midnight Place and To Sing, I'm just not sure what to call this group of stories yet :stick_out_tongue: Oh well...)
And hopefully, you'd also mix in the mini-story that comes after Midnight Place, too.

Redsonga

Reaction score
*bumpedy* Almost done with the next chapter..this one is..interesting...Oh fraggle rock, you and your monsters :stick_out_tongue:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I do :smile:. And I am sorry about the lateness of this one, I am just finishing All Hallows and then getting right back to it :smile: