Fraggle Rock fanfic: Everything Seems To Sing

Redsonga

Reaction score
And so you shall, for Becky doesn't leave things incomplete mostly.
*lol* Mostly?:coy:

But I post my chapters in two halfs...You are lucky you were not here when I was was first posting Midnight Place, I think I had a gap of two months? :stick_out_tongue::sympathy:

Funny thing here and tiny bit off topic, but yesterday, I saw a train with the name Cantus on it, and through about all the stories I have read here with him as a character. Funny, but very true.
I'd like to see the place that is named after him on the coast...

Your dialogues are really good, and I like how you write Cantus, very mysterious.
Thank you ^.^. The reason I am slow sometimes is I don't really plan my stories because that kills the idea for me. I just sort of listen to the characters. And Cantus was telling me a very good story that I couldn't tear myself away from...

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Don't worry, Becky. When you're ready, we'll be here.

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
The reason I am slow sometimes is I don't really plan my stories because that kills the idea for me. I just sort of listen to the characters. And Cantus was telling me a very good story that I couldn't tear myself away from...
I'm like that too. When I write, I seriously cannot plan a story. I did that once and it ended up coming off a bit dry. It was definitely not one of my favorite stories. It was also only 70 pages. Today my fan fiction tends to max close to 100 pages. Currently, I am posting one that has 250 pages and another has over 400 pages (and that's not even done yet). :wink: Neither of these are outlined. Perhaps outlines do work for some, but I have found for me, they do not work at all.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I'm like that too. When I write, I seriously cannot plan a story. I did that once and it ended up coming off a bit dry. It was definitely not one of my favorite stories. It was also only 70 pages. Today my fan fiction tends to max close to 100 pages. Currently, I am posting one that has 250 pages and another has over 400 pages (and that's not even done yet). :wink: Neither of these are outlined. Perhaps outlines do work for some, but I have found for me, they do not work at all.
I'm not good at writing long stories actually, the most I've ever been able to write is fifty pages so far..I've found that it starts to fall apart if I try to force it to be anything so I'm not quite sure when I will ever write a hundred pages (But then, you are 12 years older than me, so maybe I will learn with time to. I mean just lately I have been learning to actually finish stories I start, I use to never be able to do that :smile:). Someday maybe...But then, there are a lot of just fine published short story authors in the world..and to focus on page count over the story may be as bad for things as outlining... to me, at least.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
yva said:
Perhaps outlines do work for some, but I have found for me, they do not work at all.
I may have a small notepad file with dates or descriptions and stuff, but I don't use outlines either. By the time I post something, I've usually been daydreaming about it over and over again for months (or at least weeks), exploring every scene, every bit of dialogue until it "feels" right.

redsonga said:
I'm not good at writing long stories actually, the most I've ever been able to write is fifty pages so far..I've found that it starts to fall apart if I try to force it to be anything so I'm not quite sure when I will ever write a hundred pages (But then, you are 12 years older than me, so maybe I will learn with time to.)
Maybe. I had trouble getting up to even a 100 pages when I was younger.

But there's nothing wrong with short stories. It's pointless to draw something out to 100 pages if you can get the gist across in 20. It largely depends on an author's focus. For a story with only one major plot, few if any subplots, etc ... a short story is just fine. It's only when you try to describe basically half the universe (LOL) that it becomes necessary to add a little length. :big_grin:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Or if there's multiple subplots going on at the same time.

Yva Minstrel

Reaction score
My stories tend to be very involved with a main plot, but a lot of subplots going on. I have a Fraggle story in mind, which I have started scribbling notations for, but right now I am trying to polish up another story. Someone said that it is slow, but I do not like to rush stories and most of the stories in that particular grouping are rushed. If I can get the story done in 20 pages, then great. My first story (posted when I was 23) was 15 pages long. and today most of my one shots are about 3-8 pages in length. I guess it just depends on the story idea, the plot device, and how far it moves along.

But, maybe this bit belongs in another thread...who knows? I don't want to bog down your story with meanderings like this. Oh and I do agree with redpiggy about this, short stories are fine. I do write them, if I feel motivated to, but generally I have about 4 stories going at once, so maybe that's just me.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
To each their own. And speaking of own, I cannot wait to own some more of this story. That said, more please, Becky.

Redsonga

Reaction score
But there's nothing wrong with short stories. It's pointless to draw something out to 100 pages if you can get the gist across in 20. It largely depends on an author's focus. For a story with only one major plot, few if any subplots, etc ... a short story is just fine. It's only when you try to describe basically half the universe (LOL) that it becomes necessary to add a little length.
I guess it depends on the author to...By nature, when I just let myself write like I do in my fraggle stories here, I am not a description heavy author:stick_out_tongue:.
However I belong to other fandoms were the only 'good' writing liked there is overblown with description of every little thing. To them, I am a good writer because I can do this style, but it is so out of character for me that I have been working on the same story for five years now, and am lucky to write a chapter a year:embarrassed:
But, maybe this bit belongs in another thread...who knows? I don't want to bog down your story with meanderings like this. Oh and I do agree with redpiggy about this, short stories are fine.
It's okay, I like talking about writing^.^. Subplots can add length of course, but mine are usually so small that they are like mini- plots..or I dunno if they could even be called that, more like mini happenings between lunch and dinner...

*goes back to writing*:excited:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And each and every bit of writing would be artistic genius on your part.