Fraggle Rock film in development

BEAR

Reaction score
The thing is, if some of the human cast are known actors they should not be ones who would distract from the film because of their name. In other words don't use the celebrities name as a means for press and getting people to see the movie. The actors should be good enough to be able to take on a role that is somewhat secondary or supporting and not play themselves. They should play a character. The girl who played Jenny in Muppets Take Manhattan I think is a nice example of this. She never pulled focus and didn't distract us too much from the stars (Kermit and the Muppets), but she was there just enough.
People complain a lot about MCC, MTI, and MWOO because the star of the Muppet movie was a celebrity and not the Muppets.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Bear, I hadn't finished your post yet and I was thinking, someone like Jenny!

Now, I forget. Does the plot (potentially) involve going into outer space?
You're right then, there will need to be people. But like you said, they should not be the focus **cough MWoO** of the movie.

BEAR

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Bear, I hadn't finished your post yet and I was thinking, someone like Jenny!

Now, I forget. Does the plot (potentially) involve going into outer space?
You're right then, there will need to be people. But like you said, they should not be the focus **cough MWoO** of the movie.

Right, it can be someone somewhat known maybe, but not overly popular (a la Ben Stiller or Nicole Kidman--God forbid). A newcomer possibly. Who WAS that actress who played Jenny? I don't know how well known she was prior to MTM but I am sure it wasn't much. But someone secondary/supporting. A straight man or foil for the Muppets. That is what worked before

unclematt

Reaction score
Bear, I know this is off topic but I just read your quote for the first time and I pictured Jim standing over the sink with Sprocket by his side and I teared up. Great quote!!!

BEAR

Reaction score
unclematt said:
Bear, I know this is off topic but I just read your quote for the first time and I pictured Jim standing over the sink with Sprocket by his side and I teared up. Great quote!!!

Thanks. That was always my favorite moment from that special. Such a perfect ending. It is quite possibly one of, if not THE greatest quote from any Muppet project, in my personal opinion. He captures the spirit of Jim Henson quite well.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Indeed...

Jim was a great guy and did lots of great things and was totally under appreciated by a lot of people.

unclematt

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Indeed...

Jim was a great guy and did lots of great things and was totally under appreciated by a lot of people.
Underapreciated for sure. So glad there is a sight like this where we can show our appreciation. He is one of my heroes and never forget hearing the news that he had passed away.

spcglider

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
Not only does that ideal repules me, but it in no way, shape, form, or fashion, what so ever; resembles what Fraggle Rock was about, or how Fraggle Rock was. Not one bit! In the least! I'm sorry, but I just needed to get that out. Thank you and have a good day.
What about rescuing Uncle Matt isn't like Fraggle Rock? What about fraggles thinking outer space is a weird place is unlike Fraggle Rock? What about fostering a spirit of co-operation between the Fraggles, Doozers and the Gorgs is unlike Fraggle Rock?

I must admit that I posted these thoughts cynically, but what exactly about this is unlike Fraggle Rock? The cameos? Perhaps unlike Fraggle Rock, but a Muppet tradition altogether. Putting Muppets into the real world? Muppet tradition as well.

Fraggle Rock was a children's show. A smart one, but a children's show nonetheless. Don't expect the Fraggles to grow up with you. They won't. They didn't. And that is the best thing about them.

-Gordon

spcglider

Reaction score
By the way, I'm not trying to be beligerent (it probably reads like I am and if that's the case, I apologize). Believe me, I'm not actually trying to start an argument! :smile:

I was originally expressing what I thought would be the most logical direction for the script to take considering all the mitigating factors of making a Fraggle movie some 20 years or so after the fact. The stuff that I wrote was pure speculation... but based upon past models. Looks like i was at least partially right. And it looks like The Fraggles will beat Sid & Marty Krofft to the punch. This movie sounds very similar to what the new H.R. Pufnstuf Movie was supposed to be like. But that stalled.

Someone earlier said that if you want the Muppets to continue to be successful, you have to ALLOW them to try. I agree with that. Even with all the stuff I mentioned in my previous post, if the right script is written the movie will be GOOD. But that's something completely out of our hands.

It appears that this film is under the guidance of REAL Muppet people. Even the bean counters will be Muppet bean counters as far as I can tell. We should be able to trust them to do a good thing. This film will be a true litmus test of the "new guard" at the Jim Henson Company.

-Gordon