1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Going Insane Over Eyes

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Puppetplanet, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

BTW, Buck, you have such a plethora of puppetry knowledge. I wanna be like you when I grow up. :)
  2. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

Uh....I think you're OLDER than me Foz. lol :p
  3. Phantom

Phantom New Member

Bunch of young whipper-snappers.
  4. Fozzie Bear

:eek: :mad:
  5. puppet builder

puppet builder New Member

A little work, but worth it...

Hey Michelle,

Do it the way Jim did... (with some lightweight updates)

1. halve ping pong balls with sharp razor blade
    2. carve a piece of foam to fit inside and glue
    3. drill a hole into the foam, insert plastic screw set leaving some sticking out for the post (available at any hardware store)
    4. very lightly scuff surface before applying primer and eventually paint

Take Care,
    puppet builder
  6. DPuppets

DPuppets Member

Eyes

As a builder myself I have found two things that come out being good eyes. One is to buy them from Mercury Plastics. They are good price...and if you are going to experiment...you need extras. Also you can get a very cheap vacum form machine and make any shape and size you want. I bought one for only $99 but you can make one for less than $20.
    Darren
    www.dpuppets.com
  7. Tztz

Tztz Member

hey darren :)

can u please tell me how do you make mouths?
  8. Buck-Beaver

Hey, I am in NYC right now so I am going to try and head over there tomorrow afternoon and pick some up.....someone told me they will do a certain amount of walk-in business. I let `ya know what I find.
  9. Phantom

Phantom New Member

Can you elaborate?

Ben
  10. DPuppets

DPuppets Member

can u please tell me how do you make mouths?

I do my mouths last in the building my puppets. I constuct the head and then I start work on the mouth. My hand grip is pretty much what David Pannabecker uses...I have modified it some...to fit what I like.

As for the vacum form machine. You can buy plans on the web. And build one very cheap. Just do a search for plans on vacum form machine. All you do is heat up a piece of plastic...but before you do that you mold a eye or what every out of wood or harden clay. You set that in the middle of the machine...lay your hot plastic over it and vacum pulls the plastic right over the form you want to shape. So, in doing this you can build any eye shape you want. And even eyelids that fit perfect. Hope that helps some.
    Darren
  11. Phantom

Phantom New Member

Thanks. I may try that, after I've been at this a little longer. Besides,my garage looks like some mass puppet crime scene and my wife is wanting to park a car in there--something about winter weather coming. She'd never go for it...yet.

"It was horrible. There wuz foam everywhere. Pools of contact cement on the floor. Pieces of fleece hanging from the ceiling. Truly this is the work of a mad-man"

Ben
  12. Fozzie Bear

Then it's "just painT and stitch." It should have been PAINT (I'm sure of it).

So, rather than "huh", I wanna ask "How?" Details, Pino! :)
  13. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

Hey Buck... will you marry me? :flirt: ;)
  14. FISH'N'WOLFE

FISH'N'WOLFE New Member

Also try using styrofoam balls, the plain white ones (THEY ARE NOT POROUS) not the semi-white shiny ones which are porous. You can sand them, shape and mold em', thread a screw into them, whatever and they come in several sizes. They also do not dent easily, unless you plan to drive over them, you'll be safe *laugh* And for you out there who are interested, for the black dots I cut open googley eyes and presto; you have dots. They also, come in different diameters- :)
  15. Fozzie Bear

Also for pupils (has it been mentioned already) you can use those sticky scratch resistance pads that you stick to the bottom of knick-knacks before scratching your furniture.
  16. Phantom

Phantom New Member

I use a grommet tool (the little part that cuts the hole) on felt. Works pretty well.
  17. whatadoddle

whatadoddle New Member

The Eyes have it!

I am in the throes of making a blinking cat puppet. It will also move it's mouth by remote (hopefully) I have decided blinking and moving is too much. Any U.K. eye suppliers or suggestions please?
    Also any suggestions about rigid head construction to help with mounting the eyes (currently using wooden framework.)
    If I don't stop fiddling with this puppet, my kids will have me certified and hubby will disown me!
    Any tips about eyelids and blink mechanisms, I have an eye obsession!
    what plastic do you use for vacu forming?
    Any tips re: moving his head side to side?
    Thanks
    Whatadoddle
    How do I put a Pic on my sign on?
  18. Buck-Beaver

19. FISH'N'WOLFE

FISH'N'WOLFE New Member

20. whatadoddle

whatadoddle New Member

Thank you so much for your reply Buck- Beaver I don't know why I didn't join sooner!