Gonzo puppet

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
That's right, I almost forgot about Disney. You don't want to mess with the mouse. They'll even sue small children! :eek: :eek:

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Sorry guys...

Sorry guys. Next time I'll have my lawyers review my posts before I submit them. I was just speaking freely to others that I thought were Muppet fans as I am. Did I join a legal forum? I could have sworn I was on Muppet Central.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
You're taking it the wrong way. Most of us do make our own versions of the Muppets puppets, but what they say is true. Maybe just watch how you word your auction, i.e; personal home use, or something like that.

We're just trying to watch your back man! :big_grin:

P.S. he looks great! :wink:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
bezalel said:
Sorry guys. Next time I'll have my lawyers review my posts before I submit them. I was just speaking freely to others that I thought were Muppet fans as I am. Did I join a legal forum? I could have sworn I was on Muppet Central.
Touché :stick_out_tongue:

There's no need to be defensive Bezalel! We're all fans here. You're relatively new to the forum and may not be aware that there have been many, many puppets like these pop up over the years on ebay and in virtually every case they're delisted and you're also potentially exposing yourself to legal problems (unlikely but it happens once and awhile). It's just information. Do with it what you will.

While I don't personally agree with selling unlicensed replica puppets myself (that's just my personal position, not necessarily a judgement against anyone who does) if you did want to sell a Gonzo you might have more luck and fewer hassles selling it privately to a fan on here as some others have opted to do.

BorkBork

Reaction score
Great work there. Why not tell us how you did it? That would be awesome :smile:

Iokitek

Reaction score
Actually bezalel, there are some people here who worked with the Muppets. And to them it actually might be a personal thing. It would be to me too. They are not just fans but they were even personally involved with the creation of Gonzo perhaps. Copying someone elses stuff may be meant as a tribute to those people. But if you try to make money off of it then it's just wrong IMO. And IMO a TRUE Muppet fan would not do this.

Besides get a grip on yourself. Nobody means you any harm. They are trying to give you some advice so you might avoid getting into legal problems. Some people are actually that kind to others. You might want to try that too sometimes.

I agree with BorkBork that I'd like to see some more on how you built your Gonzo :smile:

WiGgY

Reaction score
And IMO a TRUE Muppet fan would not do this.

I hate when people say stuff like this. It's just a bad thing to say. WHo are you to say what a TRUE fan is? The guy put a lot of hard work into the puppet and wants to sell it to someone that may not be able to put the same kind of work into their own puppet. As long as the puppet isn't in actual puppet shows, what is the real problem?

buckshot

Reaction score
bezalel...that puppet looks great. i'll third the request to learn more on how you made him. very nice! :big_grin:

Iokitek

Reaction score
WiGgy:

Like I said, it's my opinion. I'm allowed to have one. Just like you are allowed to have one. I understand what you mean and can imagine all your different examples. But to me that doesn't change my opinion about this.

Besides , contrary to what you suggest, he is actually suggesting to use it in a puppet show as a cameo appearance if you hadn't noticed. Instead of discouraging the possible buyer to do this he's actually offering the idea. And then he also says that he's just building this Gonzo to test it out and then sell it on eBay. To me this seems wrong. IMO Instead of selling it he should either keep it for himself or donate it to someone. The person who buys this from him does not do so because they are looking for a puppet but actually for a muppet. Everyone knows this is true.

So the way I see it he's abusing someone elses name to sell his products. I guess that's the only way I can explain what my problem is with these transactions. We need to respect each others property. I think it's already bad enough that almost 90% of all puppets are almost identical to the muppet style. But again that's just one of my personal opinions that you should not take as a personal offense.

My advice is that if you wish to sell something then you should sell your own thing. You do not own the copyrights of other people's stuff. And besides, My personal opinion doesn't even matter anyway since there are laws for these kinds of situations. :wink: That was actually more or less the point of my post.