sarah_yzma

Reaction score
it's only 6.49 on wal-mart.com

at least it was!

Sarah

Koozbanian Foob

Reaction score
Interesting...

I am quite torn to be honest. While I to think that Gonzo is best left unidentified, I also must say that I really liked MFS.

The reason I asked the question in the first place (aside from the idle curiousity that sometimes grips my twisted mind :wink: ), is that I'm working on an RPG idea that sees an expanded "Pigs in Space" universe, with Pigs representing Human and other species as crew members (ala Mr. Spock, T'Pol and Phlox, etc.).

I thought it might be cool to include a member of Gonzo's species in the story.

Thanks for the dialouge and ideas!

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by Phillip Chapman
Don't forget about the MFS audio commentary with Gonzo, Rizzo, and Kermit. This gives some insight as to what was intended to be part of the film and what was "real" (at least in the Muppets world).
Hm, it's been a while since I watched the film with commentary. I'll have to watch again sometime soon.

Here's hoping they get Frank Oz -- who seems to enjoy doing commentaries -- for a MTM Special Edition. It would be nice to have James Frawley for TMM (what's he been doing since Ally McBeal?). The icing on the cake would be to have Jerry Juhl on all three of them.

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
Yeah, Gonzo confimrs that him being an alien IS real in the commentary on the DVD.

I still don't see the problem with this. INstead of being a whatever, he's a whatever from another planet...so what? Does it really ruin gonzo for you? He's still the same Gonzo as always...

for your RPG, you shoudl call gonzo's race the whatevers :big_grin:

Koozbanian Foob

Reaction score
Originally posted by Stryder Wolfe

Actually...I was considering something along those lines :smile:

WiGgY

Reaction score
Originally posted by Stryder Wolfe
Yeah, Gonzo confimrs that him being an alien IS real in the commentary on the DVD.

I still don't see the problem with this. INstead of being a whatever, he's a whatever from another planet...so what? Does it really ruin gonzo for you? He's still the same Gonzo as always...

Well Gonzo isn't the same Gonzo we knew but it has nothing to do with MFS. Gonzo has really changed. The voice is definatly less annoying now. :big_grin: He also seems to be done with the physical performance art and is getting into the more artsie stuff. Remember "Bats" and of course the 12 days of Christmas in AVMMC. It's not a bad change. Seems logical really.

BTW. Does anyone else think the character of Luke Formage, or whatever his name is, would have been played better by say Robin Williams? That's who I pictured him as. I know Robin didn't play him but I I doubt people would have been annoyed with the character if he did.

Oh yeah! I also think Gonzo's species is "whatever". Turns out everyone was right when they called him that. :concern: :big_grin:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, here's how I look at it. And you all KNOW that I"m a freak about the chronology of the Muppets' story.

Looking back through time, seems there was a reference to outer space by Gonzo in TMS (but I don't truly remember), but he looked into deep space while singing "Going to Go Back There" and on the 'Unpigged' album he sang at "Jimmy's Buffet" about "Mr. Spaceman." All references throughout Gonzo's history points to outer space and going back, etc.

At the same time, he got his start as a Frackle.

Therefore, I figured there's some outerspace planet with Frackles on it that came to earth at some point and Gonzo got left. Hence why he's never known what he was except a "whatever" and didn't fit in until he found out that he's different.

As far as "canon," DaffyFan2002 won for biggest laugh of the day with his statement above! LOL!!

I, for one, do accept MFS as part of the Muppets Chronology (for the most part). But, it's only my opinion.

F:concern:Z

Chinchilla

Reaction score
Does every Muppet have to fit into a speices category? Or do all the non-gonzo undefineable beings have to be labeled "monsters"?

I have no trouble accepting Gonzo as a Whatever from Outer Space. But I hope his species stays the mysterious Whatevers... and not even the oldest, wisest, most studious of them knows what they are or where they came from.

And I hope rooted deep in the species unconcious is a devotion to a chicken-like nuturing love goddess!

C

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Gonzo is not from Outer Space.

His species is literally unknown, therefore he is a mystery, a "whatever".

To me, anyway.

And yes, it ruins it for me if we knew what he was, since that was the essence of Gonzo---not bein' able to pinpoint what he was or where he came from.

It's like findin' out Kramer's first name on "Seinfeld" (sorta). It just lost somethin' on the character after that. :rolleyes:

I haven't watched MFS, and have no plans to ever do so.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

As far as "canon," DaffyFan2002 won for biggest laugh of the day with his statement above! LOL!!
With what? I wasn't trying to be funny. :confused: