Goths, Punks, Freaks, and Muppets - Is it all Very Wrong?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Couldn't have said it better myself, Annika. When one slams the style of another arguments are bound to happen, but its good to keep things in perspective. There are cool people and unsavory ones in every type of dress - that's why it's not only difficult to judge someone by how they look, but counterproductive. It just kicks butt that there’s Muppet stuff out there at all!

beaker

Reaction score
Holy cow! How could ya not love this woman's writing style???
Annika, thats got to be one heck of an articulated peice on decade's fashion. I forgot decades dont get a identity til halfway in...heck ya even make meantion of Catcher in the Rye and late 70's UK punk fashion retread. Not bad.

And once again Jamie comes away from one of my posts with a totally different interpretation. First you thought that I didnt like signs because there wasnt enough effects(I thought they showed too much alien) and now...

>>>I hang with all sorts of people - even you are trying it box my friends and me without knowing us. Just plain silly. From Goths and punks to skaters and Gap clad folks - I hang out with them all and there really is little difference between any of them. The only prejudice I have is against the negative sort. Mean people suck. <<<

I never said one thing about how they are...I was just commenting that no matter how 'inidividualistic' one thinks they are, they really arent. There are four basic alterna dress styles in sf and all around here. Punk, goth, 50's(ie: rockabilly, betty paige, swing, you know the look), and emo/indie(ie: nerdish looking on purpose, atari shirts, weezer, etc) None of which are original or new. In fact, if ya look at them they all harken back to something very old. Punk(late 70's uk) Goth(80's uk) 50's(well, 1950's), and the whole emo/indie kid thing is very early 90's. Course there's when whole raver thing which I wont go into.

>>>When one slams the style of another arguments are bound to happen, but its good to keep things in perspective. There are cool people and unsavory ones in every type of dress - that's why it's not only difficult to judge someone by how they look, but counterproductive. It just kicks butt that there’s Muppet stuff out there at all!<<<

Yeah, its great theres Muppet stuff everywhere...sadly mostly just the main 5, but good nonetheless.

All I was saying is that people who dress slightly odd or genre as stated above, arent as original as theyd like to think, thus defeating the whole original thing. I cant tell ya how tired the whole tattoo and piercing thing is.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
No misunderstanding here. Sounds like you are generalizing and putting people in boxes that you do not personally know because of some arbitrary criteria you have cooked up. It seems that you care way too much what other people are doing. If you think tattoos are tired - don't get one. It's as simple as that. But to judge the motivations of others is incredibly presumptuous and often incorrect. Who are any of us to judge what constitutes an individual? Just a meaningless waste of time and most of those who are being judged probably don’t give a flip, so really why should I? LOL!. Not debating the point with you further, it really is silly.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Not debating the point with you further, it really is silly<<<

well, as seeing as ye always have to have the last word(judging from the action figure threads)...^_^

>>>Sounds like you are generalizing and putting people in boxes that you do not personally know because of some arbitrary criteria you have cooked up. It seems that you care way too much what other people are doing<<<

Whoah frogboy meister...back dat mouse up and click to the original post I made. I really dont think you got any of what I was saying. You seem to think I was making a *personal* judgement call on people who dress out there...Heck even I dress quite out there(not as much as I used to) But not to my surprise, you again mistake what I said. I just had one argument...you said people dress offbeat for individuality, when I pointed out its almost like a parody of itself.

Well, at least Annika got what I was saying. And back to the original original post...Hot Topic, Banana Republic, sharper Image, Chuck E Cheese...its good to see the Muppet stuff abound for the first time in a decade.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
The swing thing comes from the 40s, not the 50s. (Sorry, just a point of order there.) Really, it has its roots in the Jazz Age with the flappers.

Wana talk about how the Punk scene in the 70s was really a revisioning (and a very successful one) of the 50s rock look? They took the leather jackets, jeans, boots, and slicked hair to a whole new level and turned it on its head. But that's how evolution works-- we take the old, twist it around, and make it new again (or at least try to make it new again).

And the big hair, glam rock thing in the 80s? That goes back to big hair in the 50s. But we can keep going back with glam rock-- as Sam the Eagle once learned the hard way-- all the way to powdered wigs and silk stockings. :stick_out_tongue:

Anyway, Beaker, glad you enjoyed my post. Good to know those college loans weren't a total waste.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>as Sam the Eagle once learned the hard way-- all the way to powdered wigs and silk stockings. <<<

Personally I think the 1670's Victorian fashion is way cooler than the 1970's fashion a lot of people seem to be stuck on. I say bring on the foppish powdered wigs and austentatious coats!

Anyway, Beaker, glad you enjoyed my post. Good to know those college loans weren't a total waste<<<

hehe, very good post indeed!

And for those who want an introductory to punk 101 uk style, rent the Sex Pistols documentary the Filth and the Fury.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Actually, the Victorian period refers to the reign of Queen Victoria, 1855-1901. In the US, the Victorian period is commonly thought of as post Civil War to about 1910.

the 1670s would fall in the Restoration period in England, I think. It's the colonial period in America. No idea about the rest of the world.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Alright, alright, alright.... interested in making a dent in goth fashion? Go to www.gothornot.com and place your votes. I'll warn ya though, so far I have yet to see one Muppet shirt!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
OMG I love that site. How funny. Some definitely ungoth people mixed in there.