Goths, Punks, Freaks, and Muppets - Is it all Very Wrong?

beaker

Reaction score
>>>I know - personally I'd rather see a punk kid wearing a Kermit shirt than a Starbucks chugging Gap kid, but neither really bothers me. The more Muppets the merrier!<<<

As long as the punk takes a shower...then again the whole punk thing was so 80's. Hey Cantus, you sure youre only in fourth grade? Hmmm...

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
I know - personally I'd rather see a punk kid wearing a Kermit shirt than a Starbucks chugging Gap kid, but neither really bothers me.
(Hides his Brownie Frappachino and scrunches down so Jamie doesn't see his Gap shirt) "Oh hey Jamie, what's up?":rolleyes:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Punk is back - so is metal and grunge. It's a free-for-all these days in fashion and music (unless you watch TRL, of course). That's really the shape of the decade. However you happen to feel - that's whats going on in the circles I'm in at least. I think it's fantastic. :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Punk is back - so is metal and grunge. It's a free-for-all these days in fashion and music (unless you watch TRL, of course). That's really the shape of the decade. However you happen to feel - that's whats going on in the circles I'm in at least. I think it's fantastic<<<

Thats major sad, following long and dead trends just because eMpTyV and corporate radio and mall shops tell you its cool.
Its hard to take seriously all the slipknot limp bizkit backward baseball cap wearing rap-metal kids these days. What is this, 1998? 99% of girls I see dress like its 1976 with those pants and tops. sheesh. Back in the 90's in high school and college I dressed pretty out there, and hated society and blah blah blah.

And sadly yeah...but what is shaping this decade? The 70's was disco funk and rock in roll...the 80's was new wave skinny ties regan arcades and cheeseburgers. the 90's was grunge, rap metal goatees and politically correct. what the heck is the 2000's?
seems like its still 1998 minus the Clinton scandals.

GWGumby

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
what the heck is the 2000's?
Yeah, and where are those darn flying cars already?!

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Yeah, and where are those darn flying cars already<<<

exactly! No, you know what it feels like still? The 90's.
Still the same confused youth and fashions, same republican lets kill people rhetoric on tv...yet same politicall correct bs as well.
Heck even a lot of the movies seem to be the same mindless action stuff. 1999 looked like to be a brave new year to a new era with advances in technology, brave new movies and ideas, etc...then when Y2K hit boom...the same ol 90's crud. So what will define this era? Not a few months after the devestating cherry on the top of last year(What had to be the worst year in decades) people are still back to their cynical angsty ways. One look at the news and life around shows its business as usual...ie the dogma and quagmire that is the 90s...a virtual heck that noone can get out of for now.

And you know what's sad? The last turn of the century it was a brave futurist perfect anything is possible great striders era...
the era of flight, cinema, etc...everything being invented, the sky was th elimit. This turn of the centruy? The era of the blah blah, bling bling, and the ho hum.

...and yeah, where are those flying cars?

kansasteen14

Reaction score
um why cant non muppet fans buy muppet products.I think it's really stupid saying that,I mean what do ya want for everyone to show their MC or Toughpigs I.D. to buy muppet merchandise,thats just retarded

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
what the heck is the 2000's?
not to be rude, but so what?

if someone wants to wear crap from the 70's then let 'em. if that's what they're comfortable with then more power to them.

i don't know about you, but about half my "wardrobe" is comic book style shirts. it's not what is popular but it's what i like, and i enjoy wearing them whenever possible. everyone has their version of the "comic book shirt". something that other people wonder how they could wear it in public. but since when did it fall to us to tell people what they can and cannot wear? and when did the fact that it's popularity died in the early 80's mean that something could never be worn again?

it seems to me that the real "look" of 2000+ has been the look of self-expression. a real "i don't care what you're into or why you're into it, but you are so i might as well just get over my own pre-conceptions and deal with it like an adult" kind of thing.

i mean, where did it become my place to tell other people that they're wrong? it's just clothes. would you rather we all became nudists...because even then everyone'd still look different.

just a thought...

Natalie

Reaction score
hey, i don't really know what to think, whether this is good or bad or whatever. I guess i don't care who wears muppet stuff or not, if you want to, go ahead. I usually don't dress like that, I wear all Wet Seal (i work there) but of course i need to let my other personalities show once in a while, so i'll wear muppet stuff. And as for the 2000's, i think in a few years it'll be more defined.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>it seems to me that the real "look" of 2000+ has been the look of self-expression. a real "i don't care what you're into or why you're into it, but you are so i might as well just get over my own pre-conceptions and deal with it like an adult" kind of thing<<<

Um, or more correctly..."Faux" self expression, meaning people wearing shirts stores, mtv, and the radio and trends tell them is cool. Thats why the once underground anime Dragon Ball Z is worn by every hip urban kid in the mall.

Heck yeah, ya sound like me...100% of the shirts i wear are black hobby related, or 'comic' book shirts(ie: from hot topic, online or comic shops) they would include my fave bands, and lots of invader zim/anime/video games/muppet shirts. I wear 100% of the time shorts and a black tshirt with one of the above.

But when 99.9% of girls wear shirts that say '****', 'angel', 'innocent', tongue rings, circa 1976 jeans...and all the guys wear abercrombie, have razor wire tattoos around their arms...its a sad state of affairs.

As far as 70's retro chic, I dont have to explain why that just looks bad. The Muppets and the advent of the video game were probably the only cool thing from that wrestched era...as I cant recall a time when fashion looked so hideous. I rather see 80's fashion back in...heck 1680's Victorian fashion than 1970's!!!