Goths, Punks, Freaks, and Muppets - Is it all Very Wrong?

radionate

Reaction score
Doesn't everyone kinda go through some kind of a goth stage? I know I was hanging with goth kids for awhile, and still have friends who are semi-goth.

We are all who we are here at MC and that's the beauty of it. Go to the What do you look like thread, and you'd be surprised at what you see. Most people look nothing like you'd expect them too, and like Jamie said, "Peoples is Peoples".

grail

Reaction score
there's a "what do you look like" thread?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah...I'm a former glam goth kid though. I never have subscribed much to any clique, as I like to remain an individual.

The long black and punk colored hair, the dark clothes, ripped fishnets, black lipstick and funky fingernail polish were all fun for a while and it really worked for me. But I found them to be off-putting to others.

One day I dyed my hair blond for a month as a joke and hopped back into my Levis and people seemed to be even nicer to me. Not to mention it helped my social life (wink, wink). And it's great only spending three minutes getting ready and not having to sleep on black pillowcases and only use black towels for fear of staining them with hair dye. Needless to say the change stuck!

It's sad how perceptions have to do with what you wear and how you look, but it happens all the time and none of us are immune. We all reference our own experiences and they can give us a rather limited view of something much bigger. I have to admit that I, of all people, look at my thirty-something punked-out teachers with a little less respect than I should. Don't know why that is. Maybe it's just the stereotypes of what a teacher is supposed to be that have been drilled into my head. I certainly would feel different about them in a different atmosphere.

Getting back on the topic (or maybe it's too late for that) the recent pairing of the Muppets and Weezer could be considered strange and in line with the very thing this thread is about. The band is known for their drug-referenced hits, "Hash Pipe" and "Dope Nose". I don't really object to it, but it opens an entirely different discussion.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
the recent pairing of the Muppets and Weezer could be considered strange and in line with the very thing this thread is about. The band is known for their drug-referenced hits, "Hash Pipe" and "Dope Nose". I don't really object to it, but it opens an entirely different discussion.
Good point! I didn't think of that, but I am sure that it will have an affect on the "teen" market and their perceptions of Muppets. Although Weezer may be too mainstream for the Goth crowd. Perhaps we will see fewer Goth teens sporting Muppet garb after all.

beaker

Reaction score
More examples of it beign 1997 not 2002

Well well well. Yeah Cory's back in some way, but not really.
To whoever started this thread...my thing is that the whole goth thing was so mid/late 90's. That should be your problem, people with a fashion fopah trying to set trip up in dis niznat! ^_^
No seriosuly, you remember when it was alternatively emo indie rock hip in the 90's to sport sesame stuff(or ravers with sesame backpacks?)

Youre argument is...well pretty un thoughtout. Hot topic is full of tired old fashion trends...rap rocker style, post pop punk, etc.
You do know the word is 'Hot topic', which means in one minute, 90% off the next. They sell whatever is hip, and currently have this big ol 80's nostalgia thing. Thats why youre seeing it there.

also your terms are foreign...there really is no 'goth'...virtually every kid has razor tattos, tribal piercings, and the flavour of the month metal band. If you mean goth in the painfully embarassing 'robert smith smoke a clove im so depressed marilyn manson' sense, then well thats gone the way of the macarena and skinny ties for the most part.

while I too think the idea of drugs are hip, anti social corporated backed eMpTyV style thing is lame...youre stereotyping is a bit old fashioned. Anyone who met me knows at Muppetfest I was sporting a jet black mohawk, pin/badges covered black jacker, weird shorts and boots. Of course now I dress like pottery barn had an orgy with hot topic, but I digress.

So about Hot Topic selling Muppet stuff...kind of sad what ya said, as I seriously dont remember seeing *any* Muppet products til last year. And no, they are targetted at any hip youth^0^

Gonzo

Reaction score
My little brother has tatoos up and down both of his arms, wears a lot of black, some spikes, his hair's a different color each week....

And he LOVES the Muppets. He's got all of the Muppet figures, probably has more Muppet CDs than most of the people on this forum, and is just about as excited about new Muppet projects as I am. He's technically more Punk than Goth, but it is, as was said earlier, impossible to judge a book by it's cover. He's not a devil worshiper, he just wants to look different than all of the Gap/Old Navy/American Eagle clones out there. He still laughs, he still has a good time, he's still my brother. And it's fine that he likes the Muppets.

I, of all people, when I was a Mormon Missionary in Germany for two years, am the one who ended up buying some black t-shirts with "Terror Ernie and Bombin' Bert" on them--bootlegs with Ernie holding a Grenade and Bert in a bandana with an Uzi...although I know copyright violation is wrong, and I woudn't ever wear them around kids, I thought they were darn funny.

Quinnnnnnnnnn

Gonzo

Reaction score
BTW,

about this becoming a forum about the figures--personally, this line of figures is the most-and-the-best Muppet Merchandise I've seen in the last twenty years or so, and I think it deserves quite a bit of attention. If it were a line of 20+ Muppet BOOKS, or SHIRTS, or DVDs, or KEYCHAINS....and the people responsible for producing them were actively involved with the message boards of the website, I guarantee they'd be getting this much attention too. When the Time-Life DVDs came out, they had dozens of threads, with new messages every day--I never read them, because I didn't have the money to devote to the sets, but I didn't have any problem with what other people were discussing.

If you have that much of an issue with what's being discussed, start an interesting discussion (like this one)!

Enough prattle from me.

Quinnnnnnnnnn

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo
If you have that much of an issue with what's being discussed, start an interesting discussion (like this one)!
Well erm Quinn, that was the point of this one, but it kinda mutated into yet another figure thread. Now it's back on track - nuff said !

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo
when I was a Mormon Missionary in Germany for two years
really? that's pretty cool...i was raised LDS, but well...some things just don't stick. i still carry many of the sensibilities, but i havn't been in years...