Goths, Punks, Freaks, and Muppets - Is it all Very Wrong?

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
IMHO regarding the marriage of Hot Topic and Muppets,

1) Muppets aren't sacred cows. Look at old pics of the Muppet performers and they often look like burn outs. They were hippies, okay?

2) Muppet stuff is a nice change to Hot Topic and I would encourage any shift in the atmosphere of a store that I normally would have no reason to shop in.

3) I think Animal makes a great poster child for Goth and the like, as far as fashion and mentality. Beaker and Gonzo as well, except in self-inflicting-abuse sorta way.

4) Like it's been said, Muppets reveal a soft spot in the shocking exterior. For myself, looking for the positive I could think, "Hate the hair, the tattoos, the overexposed undies..." but I could honestly say, "Hey, I love your Muppet T-shirt!"

5) The felt need of Goths is attention. I can give attention in a positive way, and find common ground, in a Goth who likes the Muppets.

Hope nobody finds this post offensive. I guess, for me, when being alternative becomes popular and marketable, it really isn't alternative anymore, whatever your definition. It's just another cog in the Machine. Old Navy clones and their Hot Topic Polar Opposites are really blood brothers because they're both heavily influenced by the same trends. They're just protons and electrons toward that trend.

Me? I've got my own quarks.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Hope nobody finds this post offensive. I guess, for me, when being alternative becomes popular and marketable, it really isn't alternative anymore, whatever your definition. It's just another cog in the Machine. Old Navy clones and their Hot Topic Polar Opposites are really blood brothers because they're both heavily influenced by the same trends. They're just protons and electrons toward that trend.

Me? I've got my own quarks<<<

great post man! I think you said it pretty well. If someone has a problem with Hot Topic, they minus well have a problem with Pottery Barn, the Gap, J Crew, Abercrombie, and Saks 5th avenue.

Between the Muppets, ALF and Invader Zim, Hot Topic rules.

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Originally posted by Matleo
Morale of the story: you can't judge a book by it's cover. it has very lttle to do with this discussion, but I always liked that story.
I've always like that saying, too.

For my opinion, I guess it's ok for goth kids to wear this stuff. It does seem a little weird that Henson would allow something like that, but as long as it's in the best interests of everyone, it seems fine.

- Billy :cool:

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by CaptCrouton
Muppets aren't sacred cows. Look at old pics of the Muppet performers and they often look like burn outs. They were hippies, okay?
Actually i've noticed that too quite a bit.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Whenever I see those pictures of the undeniably Hippieesque Muppet performers with their arms up in the air with puppets on them, I always wonder how they smelled. Not a happy thought, but it's just what comes to mind.

Quinnnnnn

Natalie

Reaction score
hey, i'm glad to see it! as a teenager myself, it's great to find new muppet merchandise more available in stores that i might actually be able to shop in! I've gotten a Fraggle Rock shirt from Hot Topic, a Miss Piggy Shirt from Gadzooks, and a Fozzie shirt from the catalog Alloy. My sis got some kermit shirts and underwear from Alloy too. I love it, but yeah, if the person isn't actually a muppet fan buying the merchandise, that is a little wrong.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
See Phillip! This is the post that doesn't go away! As long as there are teenagers on the boards, this post will never die! And everyone hates me! Well...maybe everyone doesn't hate me, but AAAAHHHH!!!!!! Make it stop!

Oh, and Ms. NGirl...I agree with you on the non-Muppet fans buying the stuff. That was basically what this post was about in the first place...goths who aren't really fans of the Muppets buying thier stuff to make a pop-culture statement.

-Matt

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
In the big scheme of things why should we really care what others buy? There is just so much judgement - why can't we keep our eyes on ourselves and our own lives?

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Your right Jamie, we should. But human nature doesn't allow for it and I'm sure your aware of that. Whether subtly or blatently, we are always judging. And on issues people feel strongly about, verbal judgement most always comes out. Not to mention I wasn't trying to start a crusade or anything, I just wanted to have a civil debate about what people though. No harm in that, is there?

-Matt

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Nah, but it is kind of sad we have to judge a person because of the clothes that they wear or how many holes they have in their head. I always thought we lived in a more enlightened age than that. We're all guilty of judging others no matter how hard we try. This thread just seems to be seeking it out. Not that you don't have the right to do so.

I know - personally I'd rather see a punk kid wearing a Kermit shirt than a Starbucks chugging Gap kid, but neither really bothers me. The more Muppets the merrier! It really doesn't matter. Why can't we just share the love and shake our groove thang in the way we choose without being critiqued for being objectionable to someone who thinks a particular shirt is too good for us? :smile: