Halloween is just around the corner

Redsonga

Reaction score
Definitely, I'm fine with that. :smile:

I was just saying some things are there for kids to enjoy. And there always has to be adults to give and help them. We can't all be kids, some of us have to take care of them. Now of course, we can be childlike, that's different. :smile:
I don't see calling yourself a kid inside as really a bad thing..but maybe it is because I still see that mindset as being able to support and care for others just fine, since when I was little myself I was very serious and responsible while at the same time my imagination and innocence (which I still have) went along with me :smile:. I really don't think I am taking anything away for others by being myself with things like this honestly-.-

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I remember that some people dressed up for school up to when I was in high school, but that pretty much stopped when I was in college. Some people dress up to hand out candy, and that's fine, too! Makes things more fun.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't see calling yourself a kid inside as really a bad thing
Neither do I, that's what I meant by childlike. :wink:

But maybe it is because I still see that mindset as being able to support and care for others just fine, since when I was little myself I was very serious and responsible while at the same time my imagination and innocence (which I still have) went along with me :smile:. I really don't think I am taking anything away for others by being myself with things like this honestly-.-
I get you. I guess what I mean is there's good in being a kid and in being an adult.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Dudes...man...I dont believe what I'm reading

Where I come from, people would trick or treat well into their twenties before they stopped. My mom didsnt stop till she was about 18. I know people who were about 20 before they stopped.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Childlike is just a word people use to make how they think as adult children sound more serious for non-understanders IMHO. I'd rather just call an radish a radish. Yes, I am a child, thank you :stick_out_tongue:!
Oh that's not how I see it at all personally. :wink: Childlike is simply the opposite of childish. Childish means immature and stunted and irresponsible. People who never grow up and never become anything good. Childlike is adults who always retain that special innocence and wisdom (which is more what you've been referring to). :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Never growing up may be seen as a bad thing, but on the other hand, to not grow up includes keeping wonder, so I never want to :smile:. And becoming something good is also a matter of opinion. After all, who is to say that a person who has no job but helps others for free on the internet face everyday troubles is truly of less good than a high paid lawer that cheats the system when no one is looking? :stick_out_tongue:
You're right it is a matter of opinion. You can't go by other people's labels. But you can't assume that adult just means bad things either. Nothing is that black and white. Children are wonderful and contribute a lot to the world. But there's a lot of things they can't do. They won't be able to do until they get older. They can't take care of themselves on their own, they need adults to help them with that. That is the beauty of being older, being in a better position to give (again, not that children don't give). Just because there are corrupt adults in the world (God knows lol) doesn't mean being an adult is a useless thing to be.

Jim Henson always had the talent and the vision, even as a child. But he couldn't have fully created what he did if he'd stayed a child. But he stayed childlike in his vision and that was the strength.

Redsonga

Reaction score
You're right it is a matter of opinion. You can't go by other people's labels. But you can't assume that adult just means bad things either. Nothing is that black and white. Children are wonderful and contribute a lot to the world. But there's a lot of things they can't do. They won't be able to do until they get older. They can't take care of themselves on their own, they need adults to help them with that. That is the beauty of being older, being in a better position to give (again, not that children don't give). Just because there are corrupt adults in the world (God knows lol) doesn't mean being an adult is a useless thing to be.

Jim Henson always had the talent and the vision, even as a child. But he couldn't have fully created what he did if he'd stayed a child. But he stayed childlike in his vision and that was the strength.
Of course, if he had stayed a child in body, but no one does that but Peter Pan (who I love every version of BTW, I still leave the window open :wink: ). I know I'm not in body, I'm imaginative, not crazy :stick_out_tongue:. I'm not saying that being an adult is useless so much as having your life ruled by the peer pressure of other adults that want life to be nothing but a joyless ride (with no dressing up anymore even on days that are about that, and no wondering at the beauty of the season that can only be seen walking with the stars at night) to the grave is useless and silly. And as the label adult is often linked to that part of things (and other parts like drinking, smoking, and driving, none of which I do) I don't identify with it that much...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And as the label adult is often linked to that part of things (and other parts like drinking, smoking, and driving, none of which I do) I don't identify with it that much...
Well that is a part you often hear about. But there's definitely also a lot to enjoy about being an adult, as we've said. Being an adult doesn't mean you have to listen to peer pressure. It's not something anyone forces you to do. People may try, but it's really up to you. Being an adult is also filled with wonderful things. And unlike children, adults have more choices open to them. Not because of society, but because they are older and wiser.

I'm not talking about growing in body, but in mind and emotional maturity.

And many children do unfortunately drink and smoke as well, out of immaturity, just as adults do. And children have peer pressure to deal with that's often much harder.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well that is a part you often hear about. But there's definitely also a lot to enjoy about being an adult, as we've said. Being an adult doesn't mean you have to listen to peer pressure. It's not something anyone forces you to do. People may try, but it's really up to you. Being an adult is also filled with wonderful things. And unlike children, adults have more choices open to them. Not because of society, but because they are older and wiser.
In good places maybe, not where I am from... The dollar rules over everything here and the lack of jobs makes adults more helpless I would say than even a child. At least a child has the benefit of more serives to help them in the long run go places. Here if you don't have money or a way to get it and you aren't smart enough to pass college with honors (because there simply are not enough tutors) as an adult you are doomed to become a welfare mom or a druggie or both. I am trying to beat those odds so you will forgive me if I would rather distance myself from what being an adult means here and live off of the hope I carry inside me as best I can :smile:.

I'm not talking about growing in body, but in mind and emotional maturity.
A matter of pov still, whose to say that those that carry a child's view and actions is not in the long run more mature in mind and emotion by remaining true to themselves?

And children have peer pressure to deal with that's often much harder.
Peer pressure does not truly change in how bad it is IMHO, it just changes in how it is carried out...

Anyhow, I wanted to be Lydia from Bettlejuice this year but I couldn't find anything red and spiderwebby :frown:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
In good places maybe, not where I am from... The dollar rules over everything here and the lack of jobs makes adults more helpless I would say than even a child. At least a child has the benefit of more serives to help them in the long run go places. Here if you don't have money or a way to get it and you aren't smart enough to pass college with honors (because there simply are not enough tutors) as an adult you are doomed to become a welfare mom or a druggie or both. I am trying to beat those odds so you will forgive me if I would rather distance myself from what being an adult means here and live off of the hope I carry inside me as best I can
Nobody has it easy. There are better places, but there are no "good places." Everyone's life is difficult. But we grow as a human being so we can learn how to do our little part to improve the world. Growing up is just that child learning even more ways to make an impact. If you remain independent and true to yourself, nothing can take that away. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. Honestly I don't think we're disagreeing that much. :smile:

A matter of pov still, whose to say that those that carry a child's view and actions is not in the long run more mature in mind and emotion by remaining true to themselves?
Again, being an adult doesn't have to mean not being true to yourself. That is up to you. You can still be yourself, it's just adding some things. That's a positive and realistic way of viewing it.

Peer pressure does not truly change in how bad it is IMHO, it just changes in how it is carried out...
Well maybe one isn't worse than the other. Or maybe it doesn't matter. Both as pretty painful.