1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

How Cookie Monster works?

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Georgina, Jan 21, 2007.

1. unheard Member

2. Was Once Ernie New Member

I completely agree with you. I never liked him as much after they rebuilt him with a stiff "duck bill" mouth rather than the floppy mouth that you could manipulate with your fingers. They have gone back to more of the rounded shape for his mouth as opposed to the more squared off version.

:p
  3. Gerbert Member

I have A blue bathmat Thats the same fur they used For cookie. I'll take a pic. And post it tommorow. I'm gonna Build a Cookie Next week.
  4. Gerbert Member

5. I've noticed Cookie Monster has a sorta neck-collar of foam to help keep the shape for the fur body draped below, which is more noticable in some incarnations of the puppet than others, but I can't tell if there's any foam for the hands or wrists. It's hard to tell their size with the fur. Anyone know?
  6. Was Once Ernie New Member

I think I posted this somewhere a long time ago, but it's easier for me to just type it again than search for it.

There is no foam for the hand or wrist. There is a full glove sewn to the inside of his mouth that the puppeteer puts his hand into. Especially in the earlier Cookie that we were talking about where there was no mouth plate, that was the only way to control him. Also, it leaves the area where the back of his mouth is open clear to be able to put things down into it.

7. Animal31 Active Member

I always looked at it as an oven mit in the top and bottom jaw for your hand!

It wouldn't surprise me if they maybe ran a thin plastic rod across the back of the mouth for the fur to drape over and keep shape.

You say the mouth had an opening to put things down? It was almays my understanding that the puppeteer crumbled the styrofoam cookies into crumbs giving the illusion they were eaten? Though I honestly couldn't tell you where I read it...
  8. Gerbert Member

9. Animal31 Active Member

10. You can see him swallowing cookies in this vid-
  11. Was Once Ernie New Member

You can even clearly see which side the opening is on in that video. It's the right side so it was easier for Frank's left hand to stuff things into it.

12. unheard Member

can any one post please ( if possible ) a x-ray of cookie monster. e.g gloves in side / head shape / body ( if there is one ? )

what type of glove do you think they used black gloves ?
    but they maybe to small.

rubber gloves are the right size i would guess but would be very hot ?
  13. Melonpool Member

I think I read somewhere that it was a garden glove attached to deflated basketball. Am I remembering that right?

Here's what i envision the glove looking like:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_184251-76744-LO9103_0_?productId=3120531&Ntt=garden%20glove%20cotton&Ntk=i_products&Ns=p_product_price|1&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntk=i_products$rpp=15$Ntt=garden%20glove%20cotton$Ns=p_product_price|1$identifier=
  14. Was Once Ernie New Member

I don't know about the deflated basketball, and I never saw the glove (didn't turn him inside out), I only felt it. It could have easily been a garden glove, because those are very easy to slip on your hand.

15. Animal31 Active Member

I stand corrected, the first one broke up, but the rest clearly disappeared down the back.....good to know

Thanks!
  16. TheCreatureWork Active Member

There are probably no "inside the head" photos since the building of the character is a secret. Building a Cookie Monster will be a trial by error process no matter how you look at it.

I would suggest using cheap fabric and creating the puppet using the Borsha Puppet pattern found at Project Puppet as a starting point.

I don't know if someone else already posted this link but it goes through the process of building a "cookie monsteresque" type puppet:
    http://www.consumermonster.com/ (click on the DIY title located on the left hand column) Although crudely built... and it looks nothing like Cookie Monster....it should provide you with a clear understanding of the process. I think I would have used contact cement instead of green painters tape to keep the foam pieces together. LOL Needless to say a alright tutorial.

Anyway, once you get the basic pattern; then simply dismantle the puppet and use the pieces as your pattern to create (in good) the Cookie Monster of your dreams. :)

Hope this helps some of you.
  17. unheard Member