1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

How is Jerry Nelson doing?

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by beaker, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. matleo

matleo Active Member

awesome. I was just on my way out to my non-puppetry job and not really looking forward to it. This was the perfect item to read before I went out. Thank you Jerry. That's an excellent piece of advice.

--Matt
  2. zns

zns Active Member

Thank you Jerry. If there is one thing I have gotten from you, Jim, and everyone else involved with the Muppets is to enjoy life and follow one's own dreams. I will keep your advice in mind. God Bless.

Zach Snyder (ZNS)
    Lancaster PA.
  3. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

I just want to say a quick hello and a big thank you to Mr. Nelson. Your work has been entertaining, teaching, and uplifting me for my entire life!

I especially want to thank you for giving me a great voice and laugh to imitate while counting out handouts for my high school students. :batty:

All the best,
    Andy Clinton
  4. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I agree with Beaker here, your little jems of wisdom here on MC are lovely to read and grow deeper upon reflection (You're not related to a Widomous Trash Heap by any chance are you? ;):halo:) And I too would love to read a biography or a 'Things I Have Learned' book from you one day if you were to ever write one.

God bless,
    Beauregard
  5. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

Yep, he sure has, and he's been nice enough to spend some time chatting with us fans and even answering a few questions. He's one of my all-time favorite artists! I was listening to this song the other day and as many times as I've heard it, I always laugh. (though I don't understand why they put red hair on the Frank Oz Muppet).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imPaiELL_C8

Oh, and Happy (belated) Birthday, Jerry. Hope you had a blast! :crazy:("Did somebody say blast?" BOOM!)

Also, if Jerry decides to write his memoirs, count me in (ah ah ah!):batty: to buy a copy! I adored Mr. Spinney's book and I can only dream of what Jon Stone's memoirs consist of. I'd love to read about all of Jerry's adventures, wisdom and Muppeteering experiences, too.

I couldn't agree more. It's kind of like the Fraggle song "Pass It On".

I've always admired Jim Henson's optimism. Since Mr. Henson isn't with us anymore, I now think of what Jocelyn Stevenson said: "We're Jim's seeds. And it's not only those of us who knew him. Everyone who was touched by his work is a Jim-seed...people die, but inspiration lives and grows."

One time a co-worker of mine called in to say she would be a little late. It was a cold, snowy day and the roads were passable, but still slippery.

In the meantime, I got her a coffee and a snack from the cafe next door. They were waiting there on her desk when she arrived. She was thankful, but asked "Why did you do that?"

I shrugged and said "Well, you needed it. Also, I think Jim Henson would've done the same thing for you if he was here, but since he isn't, I thought I'd fill in."

"Pass it on! Pass it on!
    Wish upon all the good things that you do.
    Pass it on! Pass it on!
    Pass it on! Pass it on!
    When it's gone, it will bring good luck to you!

When you're giving love away,
    Love will come again to stay.
    What you give is what you gain when you--":coy:("uh-uh")--"pass it on!"

Thank you for so many positive influences, Jerry!

Your fan,
    Joshua Hankemeier
    (Convincing John)
  6. zns

zns Active Member

Hello Jerry,

Just thought that since it's been a while since we've all posted on this thread, I thought that I would bring this up. Good luck with the shooting of the remainder of sesaon 40 of Sesame Street. I saw the message you posted on the Jim Henson Legacy website, and it's obvious that you and everyone else involved with the show must be truly blessed. Of course, you yourself must also be blessed to have done other stuff with Jim and the rest of the company. I am sure if Jim was still alive today, he would most likely be very pleased with everything you guys are doing. You could say that he might just look around and say "Lovely". Take care for now.

Zach S. (zns)
  7. skogs34

skogs34 New Member

Been a while

It's been a while since I checked in to say hello.
    Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day and I have a lot to be thankful for.
    I'll be thanking the proper Authority tomorrow before I partake of the traditional dinner of the day, but thought I might say thanks to all of you for all your nice words and thoughts over the years and tell you some of the things I've been up to. So first, thank you all.
    It has been one heck of a ride. Ups and downs.. I've had them all in varying degrees and how would you know what was really and truly good if you hadn't had a taste of what was really and truly bad? So I guess it's all just part of traveling the road of life. As Dizzy Gillespie used to say " A little bit of this an' a little bit a that makes a whole lotta heap a ". There was more to it but that part says what I need to demonstrate my point, to wit; it's all input and it's there to teach you something. How much or what you learn, is up to you. Anyway, Thank You!

Now for what I have been up to... Last June, I went into Nola Sound Studio with some friends and recorded something I have looked forward to doing for a long time. Ten of my songs that were written over the years were put down to be made into a CD. Most are story songs and some more personal than others. It took all summer and autumn to mix and master all ten songs but now they are in the process of being made into my first album entitled, "Truro Daydreams". I'm not sure when or where they will be available but I will let you all know if you are interested. I'm not even sure they are good. I like them but why wouldn't I? They're mine.

That's my news and my wish is for everyone to follow James Taylor's admonition to, " Shower the people you love with love, show them the way that you feel" and have a full-filling Thanksgiving Day!
    Jerry
    piggyinmanhatte likes this.
  8. Muppet Newsgirl

Muppet Newsgirl Active Member

Glad to hear you're doing well, Jerry, and a very happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well. The album sounds cool - I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
  9. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

Congratulations on your CD, Jerry, and a VERY happy Thanksgiving to you!

:sing:
  10. Im excited to hear this CD! Love your voice Jerry! Actually, that brings me to a question. Not sure if this has been answered of ever asked. But Jerry, if its not to soon to give this info out, are you going to return as Gobo in the Fraggle film? :smirk:
  11. matleo

matleo Active Member

Thanks for posting Jerry! And Happy Thanksgiving to you! PLEASE let us know more details about your CD. I'm sure there are many people here (myself included) who have been looking forward to something like this for a long time. Knowing your vocal range and abilities I'm sure it's an excellent CD.

Speaking of music, I was wondering if you've seen the new "Bohemian Rhapsody" video that's made the rounds this week and what you think of it?

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

--Matt
  12. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

That's what matters right? :sing: But I'm sure that many people would like it, muppet fans and the uninitiated alike, because you have a very inspiring voice. Happy thanksgiving!
  13. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Active Member

Thats very awesome Jerry. I'm happy for you. I'd buy a copy for sure. :)
  14. Skekayuk

Skekayuk Member

Jerry,
    Of course we're interested. Well some of us, anyway.
    Please do let us know when the album is available. There's all kinds of music out there. And I'm guessing you probably have good taste in music.

Best Wishes
    Emma Shane

"Light will make it bright..."
  15. vettech28

vettech28 Active Member

I'm certainly interested in the album myself. It'd sure be nice to hear you sing again, Jerry. I miss your voice.
  16. Quesal

Quesal Active Member

Yea I miss Jerry's voice myself. John Kennedy and others have done ok in maintaining his characters' personalities, but Jerry's voice does have that special muppet vibe to it!
  17. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

Dear Mr. Nelson,

I will definitely buy your CD! In addition to your skill with puppets and the amazing range of voices you do, I must echo everyone who pointed out how great your singing voice is!

One song that especially sticks out for me is the song "Pedals Off A Rose" a.k.a. "Friends Always Say Goodbye" - that you sing in the last Fraggle episode. Your vocal delivery is so very moving, it's magic...and I'm not just saying it because you read these posts, either...I'm saying it because it's true. And I'm happy to add my voice to the choir telling you how special your voice is! :) The song from the first Fraggle episode is also magic, but a list of your greatest work would take forever, so I'll get to the point:

Your posts here (and fan stories of your kindness to them!) give the same positive vibe you give through your work - a true caring heart. Either this loving type of person is rare these days, or most of them feel the need to keep it hidden because the world is portrayed as too cynical...but maybe there are more around than we realize. And if they all spoke up, it would have a definite positive impact!

Thank you for the wise, inspiring words!

I'm very glad you seem to be feeling better, and I thank you so much for enriching our lives with your talent, Mr. Nelson! As others have said, we love you!
  18. Cojo Art

Cojo Art New Member

That famous laugh.

Thanks Jerry, for inventing this laugh, but when you see it played out in an actual human being, it is a little strange.

I went to a birthday party a few weeks ago a friend had thrown for his girlfriend at a bar and there was a friend of a friend there who's a freelance reporter for the UN who actually had The Count laugh- as his own laugh. He wasn't joking, this was his actual laugh.

He's gotta be in his mid to late 40's, and he almost punctuated every thing he said with a bizarre and echoing count laugh. For example, when flirting with some girls at the party his joke might not work so he would look away from them and say to us something like: "I guess they don't have a sense of humor, AH AH AH AH AH".

And if you laughed while he was laughing, it just made him laugh more, the volume of his laugh would just amp up.

I pointed out to the party that this man has the Count Von Count laugh, which made him laugh, which made me laugh, which made him laugh louder, which made my chick laugh, and seriously it was one of those rolling building laughs that lasts a few minutes until you are crying and exhausted from laughing, and in this case a little creeped out, because you are laughing at the sound of another man's laugh.:confused:

At points in the night while he was laughing I would start to do the Count accent and say loudly to the crowd "Greetings, Now can you help me count the women at the party... One, AH AH AH, Two AH AH AH, Three AH AH AH "....etc..
    The whole time he was laughing the count laugh over this display. A very weird situation.

Anyone else ever meet someone with The Count Laugh?
  19. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

I don't know about the Count laugh, but I bet Jerry would get a kick out of this. There was a woman who went to our old church who laughed exactly like the female Koosebanian creature Jerry performed in the Galley-Oh-Hoop-Hoop sketch. Listen at the 36 second mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbXzpoH6m2c

I kid you not, this woman was one of those people who laughs a lot and I mean a lot. If the pastor made a joke during the sermon, if it was at some church dinner or if you ran into her at the grocery store, that Koosebanian cackle was sure to burst out and you could hear it a block away. (It was hard for me not to laugh whenever she did that).:crazy:

Oooh! And also Jerry's new CD's coming out soon! Yaaaaay! As soon as I can, I'm pre-ordering it! Go Jerry!

Convincing John
  20. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

I'd love a link to pre-order Jerry's CD! :sing:Thanks!:batty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.