"I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story" documentary in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like we'll have another great documentary soon to go alongside "Being Elmo" with Kevin Clash....

Find out all about "I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story", secrets behind the living legend, performer of Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch.

Watch the exciting "I Am Big Bird" trailer here and let us know your thoughts.

About the Film

I AM BIG BIRD is a feature-length documentary about Caroll Spinney, who has been Sesame Street’s Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch since 1969… and at 78 years old, he has no intention of stopping. Think you know everything there is to know about Sesame Street ? You don’t. You might know that Frank Oz turned down an offer to play Big Bird, but you probably don’t know that until a last minute change of heart by NASA, Big Bird was supposed to go to space aboard the Challenger. Or you may know that Oscar the Grouch got his voice from a cantankerous cabbie, but you’d be surprised to learn that a fire in his trash can almost led to Caroll’s untimely demise. Caroll’s stories are the stuff of legend. He has been a constant presence in our lives for over 40 years, his path weaving through American history like that of Forrest Gump. His time inside the Bird has taught him about the world and about himself. I AM BIG BIRD will peel away the instances in Caroll’s life that inspired his creation of characters that influenced generations of children. And, as the yellow feathers give way to grey hair, it is the man, not the Muppet, who will steal your heart.

WHAT YOU’LL SEE

In addition to compelling interviews with Caroll and his luminary Muppeteer cronies, I AM BIG BIRD will feature fascinating material from Caroll’s personal archives. Among the treasures in the Spinney vault, we’ve found…
  • Never-before-seen footage capturing unscripted moments of Caroll with giants like Jim Henson, Frank Oz and Jerry Nelson
  • Caroll’s short films, in which he showcases his skill in animation, a talent that led to a job offer at Disney… which Caroll turned down
  • Thousands of snapshots and hundreds of hours of videos that capture his undying love for his wife
  • Paintings displaying his hidden passion for illustration
  • Puppets that were lovingly crafted by Caroll’s mother over 70 years ago and that he still uses today
We’re using these amazing artifacts to create a dynamic portrait of an unknown man whose characters have had unrivaled influence in American pop culture.
More info on the official site is here...
http://www.iambigbird.com/

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Given the fact that Oscar's my favorite, I WILL SEE THIS.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What's the release info on this? Is it like Being Elmo, where it's like a Sundance film festival kind of thing, or something? I hate the idea of missing things like this because of the limited releases; I was disappointed none of the theaters in my town were playing Being Elmo when I heard it would be seen in select theaters.

Alvin

Reaction score
Hope they put it in more theaters than Being Elmo. I didn't see it til after the fact. Us Muppets fans should get first dibs on stuff like that!

Reactions: mo

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Can't wait. Like Alvin said, I hope it stays in theaters for more than a day. I didn't even see Being Elmo yet!

Alvin

Reaction score
Can't wait. Like Alvin said, I hope it stays in theaters for more than a day. I didn't even see Being Elmo yet!
Really??? You gotta see it... and I wish there was a release date too!

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Really??? You gotta see it... and I wish there was a release date too!
It was showing here for a day... I missed the showing.
I guess I just gotta wait till it comes out on DVD

Alvin

Reaction score
Yeah I can't wait....wish it was gonna be on Blu-ray...don't see that to be available

Byn Always

Reaction score
I watched Being Elmo on Netflix and it made me want to watch more puppet documentaries. I can't wait to see this one!!

Status
Not open for further replies.