1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

"I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story" documentary in development

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Phillip, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

WOW! What an incredible story! :wisdom:
  2. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

You sure are lucky!

It's been said that the company producing this documentary will have to get clearance from many companies, saying that home movie footage and footage of Caroll with Picklepuss will be easier to clear... I wonder if footage owned by Sesame Workshop will actually be difficult. I doubt it (and I assume they have given permission to use Big Bird's name in the title), and hopefully any required Sesame Street clip will be easy to clear.
  3. Lucky Creek

Lucky Creek New Member

I wish I had a picture of Caroll and myself, but carrying a camera was not an option. The bungee on the right had just carried Big Bird on his flight (plummet) to the river below, and I had a bird's eye view next up in my team rugby kit. Lucky me for sure.
    Speed Tracer likes this.
  4. CopperPot

CopperPot Member

Hey guys!

Dave from Copper Pot Pictures (the I AM BIG BIRD production company) here. We love the enthusiasm for the project... definitely send any questions you have to us through our website (http://www.iambigbird.com/contact-us/). We respond personally to all of them (though it sometimes takes a few days).

We did want to weigh in on the clearance issue just to clarify a bit... basically, the Workshop has been UNBELIEVABLE. They're so helpful. Clearing any of the footage they own is actually quite simple. Of course, if a Sesame character appears on a network special (like, say Big Bird on "Night of 100 Stars" on NBC or Oscar the Grouch on Jimmey Kimmel), the rights and clearances get trickier. So, we're making an effort to make as much of the material as we can available to the public, but it does take a lot of time and, in some cases, heavy licensing fees.

Thanks for your interest--we really value your feedback and questions. Don't hesitate to get in touch!

Dave LaMattina
  5. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Dave! Welcome! Glad you're here! (I spoke to you via email already)
    It's really cool that you guys are doing this. I really can't wait for this.
    Have you guys decided what's going to be with the film when it's done? Is it going to theaters?
    Anyway, Welcome!
  6. CopperPot

CopperPot Member

Thanks! We're looking at mid-late 2013 for a release; it will certainly be in theaters, but where and when is typically determined by the distributor's plan, as they usually have a good read on the market. We are anticipating a good festival run to be followed by a theatrical release. We'll make sure you all have a chance to see it!
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  7. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Are you allowed to accept requests/suggestions on what clips we'd like to see included?
  8. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Forgive me for sounding impatient, but I don't know if I can wait that long for it to be released, haha.

But I must say I'm really glad this is going to have such a wide theatrical release, because I am really looking forward to seeing this; seeing Being Elmo recently on Independent Lens was worth the wait, because it wasn't playing in any theaters in my town.
  9. CopperPot

CopperPot Member

Sure! We have a pretty solid outline of the film in mind and there is a lot of amazing footage that we know we'll be using, but we welcome any thoughts you guys have!
  10. CopperPot

CopperPot Member

I know, we want to see it done soon too :) We have so much archival material to go through and some traveling to get all the interviews done!

And because we do have so much material, we're going to be releasing lots of stuff at various points throughout the production (which will most likely begin with the launch of our Kickstarter campaign in a few months). Like I might have said elsewhere on these boards, we're going to use Twitter to be the central hub for movie news because it's the best way for us to reach true fans without annoying them! We'll obviously then post stuff on our website, YouTube, etc., but definitely @Copper_Pot will be where all our news breaks.
    KirbTreelo05 and Cindy like this.
  11. Karamazova

Karamazova New Member

I want to see this so badly.

No.

I NEED to see this so badly.
    KirbTreelo05 likes this.
  12. CopperPot

CopperPot Member

Ha! Love this excitement! You can help us make sure people see the film by spreading the word about the doc and the upcoming Kickstarter campaign!
  13. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

Thanks for stopping in to talk to us CopperPot! It's so very wonderful that you're making this film! I am looking forward to it so much, and it's kind of a shame that it can't be a 12 hour film or something, because once you've got all the footage you want together (both newly recorded just for the film, and various archives) I'm sure it will be very difficult when you're forced to edit and remove parts to get it down to "movie length". I say this because I can tell you love Mr. Spinney's contributions as much as we do! Thank you again!
  14. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

There's such a wealth of content in Spinney's life. Keeping it under two hours will be a challenge! Such an inspirational figure. I'm so glad this is being made.
  15. CopperPot

CopperPot Member

We should do a Band of Brothers-style miniseries. THAT would be epic! We'll get you guys as much as we can--promise!
    Bannanasketch and Yorick like this.
  16. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Watch a fantastic preview of "I Am Big Bird" with Caroll Spinney as a young Airman in the US Air Force.

17. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Wow, look how young he is, I didn't recognize him.

I remember reading in his book that when he was working on base, the heat was so bad during the summer that their 9 to 5 on base was 6 to 2.
  18. Kye

Kye Member

Wow! I cant wait to see the whole thing! Thanks for sharing, Phillip!
  19. CopperPot

CopperPot Member

It sure was hot. Crazy hot! And we were bouncing around from air conditioned room to air conditioned room. Thanks for watching!
  20. zns

zns Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this. Are there any more videos or clips of Caroll, Big Bird, and Oscar that you could upload, stuff like maybe appearances on shows and movies, and thing of Big Bird onducting orchestras and such like the Boston Pops? Thanks and keep up the good work with the film. Thank you CopperPot for making this wonderful documentary.