1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

"I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story" documentary in development

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Phillip, Mar 23, 2012.

1. CopperPot

CopperPot Member

Hey guys!

Dave from Copper Pot here. WOW. Your support is INCREDIBLE.

I think you guys pretty much have all the answers you need here--yes, if we don't reach our goal (let's not think that way!!!), your credit card is not charged. It will not be charged until we reach our goal (let's think THAT WAY!!!).

I should point out that even if we do reach our goal, it actually will take us more than $100,000 to make the film, so you should keep telling people about it (though the idea of rebuilding Bruno is an awesome one!). Plus, the more money we have, the more footage we can license and the more footage you can see!

Seriously, thank you so much for your support. We really took all of your comments about seeing footage, pictures, etc. to heart when we were planning our Kickstarter campaign. We hope you're enjoying seeing all the photos and videos that we're releasing on Twitter (@Copper_Pot). I also wanted to let you know that at the end of each day, we're updating our production journal so you can get all of the I AM BIG BIRD goodies here:
    https://copperpotpictures.jux.com/i-am-big-bird-production-journal/

It's important to say that while we certainly appreciate the big pledges, really every pledge helps us get to the goal, so if you are able to help us out on any level, we truly appreciate it. And we REALLY appreciate you telling other people about it--especially people that aren't as big Muppet fans as you all (and we) are. In order for the campaign to succeed, we need to reach as many people as possible.

I'll check back in on the boards during the campaign, but please be patient if it takes us a few days to get back to you--this campaign has really flooded our inboxes! As always, feel free to contact us here: http://www.iambigbird.com/contact-us/

Thanks for the support guys. This is awesome!
  2. panmanthe2nd

panmanthe2nd Active Member

I've donated more than I should have! And I'm trying to get everyone I know to as well!

I can't wait till I can see the film. It's going to be amazing!
  3. panmanthe2nd

I've been wondering that too.
  4. panmanthe2nd

A lovely video!
  5. zns

zns Active Member

Everything you have done to make this documentary has been more wonderful than words can express. I just want to personally say that Caroll Spinney has meant the world to me and to see this documentary is one of my biggest ambitions for 2013. Big Bird has always been my favorite Sesame Street Muppet, but the man who is "The Bird" has given me all the hopes and dreams I need to where I want to be in life. If I could just spend a day talking with Caroll and getting to know him personally that would make me the luckiest man in the world. Please let Caroll personally know that that is how I feel about him and his work. Thank you Copper Pot Pictures and God bless.
  6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

One thing I hope I learn because of this movie, or before it comes out, is if Caroll Spinney ever actually performed Sam thr Robot. When I first got the internet I saw Sam listed as a Caroll Spinney character in a Muppet performer guide online, then I saw all sorts of sources that list Jerry Nelson as the performer. I saw one article on Spinney which said that he created Sam and was the "original performer" of the character, but in Sam's introduction episode it's clearly Jerry Nelson performing. I wonder if Spinney was originally intended to perform the character and then didn't, or if it was something else. I know that a picture of Caroll and Debbie with Sam was recently posted on Twitter.

I also hope I can learn how Caroll could see when performing Bruno.

EDIT: Actually I've seen that Copper Pot's Twitter page has added a number of photos recently, some sort of rare. I hope they post an image of Shivers the Penguin soon! I'd also like to see Caroll Spinney's design sketch for Bruno (did Spinney design Shivers as well?).
  7. minor muppetz

The company has just recently uploaded some great stuff on youtube, including some awesome behind-the-scenes footage from Follow That Bird:
  8. CopperPot

CopperPot Member

Hi Everyone!

Dave from Copper Pot here!

Phew! It's craaaazy these days! I'll try to answer your questions here... let me know if I missed any!

What's going to be on the 2-disc DVD/Blu-Ray available on Kickstarter?
    This DVD/Blu-Ray is going to be a Kickstarter exclusive and is going to have all sorts of stuff. Honestly, it's going to be where we release as much of the cleared footage that didn't make it to the film as we can. It's also going to have Caroll's short films, which are pretty cool (we'll be releasing one on Twitter soon!). While we don't have an exact list of what will be on there just yet, I can promise you that if you want to see more of the behind-the-scenes stuff through the years, this is best way to do that.

How did he see when operating Bruno?
    I imagine through a scrim (like he uses when he performs Big Bird without a monitor), but we'll ask him!

Did he design Shivers?
    That I don't know, but we'll ask him. We WILL be releasing Shivers video during the Kickstarter campaign, so check our Twitter page often (retweeting helps us too!).

Did he perform SAM the Robot before Jerry Nelson took over?
    I believe he did, but we will double-check that with him (we haven't gotten to that point of the interview yet!).

What can I do to help?
    What, you didn't ask that question? Well, let me answer it for you anyway! The best thing you guys can do to get this movie made, aside from pledge, is to tell everyone you know! Not just Muppet fans! Movie fans! Family! Friends! Tell them all. We're also in the midst of a push to get media coverage of this--so do you know a journalist? A blogger? Radio host? Let us know. We'll talk to anyone and everyone about this campaign--I've said it before, but the only way this will succeed is if people know about it--so anything you can do to help us spread the word is MUCH appreciated!

Please don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you have more questions or thoughts about the film--I'll check in again later. Hope you're all enjoying what we're sharing!
    minor muppetz and bandit like this.
  9. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Is the 2 disc dvd/bluray going to be availble to buy when the movie comes out to dvd
  10. CopperPot

CopperPot Member

Hiya!

This 2-disc special edition is a Kickstarter exclusive. Once the campaign ends, it'll be gone forever!

-Dave
  11. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

12. zns

zns Active Member

If only I could afford to get something like that. Oh well, I will definitely contribute sometime this week.
  13. Pop Tarts

Pop Tarts New Member

I just cried for 3 minutes and 43 seconds. Please share this to everyone you know on Facebook and donate :) We have to get this made!
  14. minor muppetz

So... Will there be a regular DVD to purchase as well, in addition to this exclusive?
  15. Pop Tarts

Pop Tarts New Member

I would assume that there will be a DVD available after the production. The donation DVD is a perk. :sympathy:
  16. CopperPot

CopperPot Member

Hey everyone!

Dave from Copper Pot here. Just wanted to give you all a quick heads up about a Kickstarter exclusive that will hit the site tomorrow.

We know you wanted the special edition Blu-Ray with all the special features and archival footage. So, starting tomorrow, we're going to make limited quantities of the special edition available for UNDER $100! This special edition will be signed by Caroll and will be extremely limited in the number made available. I suggest you check Kickstarter early and often (and also our Twitter, etc) if you want to secure your copy.

Finally, if you've already pledged for the DVD at $25, please know that you do have the option to increase your pledge and get this.

I can't stress enough: this 2-disc special edition is A KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE. You'll never get it anywhere else. Ever!

Good luck!

-Dave
  17. CopperPot

CopperPot Member

Hi guys!

We just wanted to let you know that the 2-disc special edition Blu-Ray signed by Caroll is NOW AVAILABLE FOR ONLY $99. This Blu-Ray set is where all the archival footage we can't get in the film will find its home. We know you wanted it cheaper, so we stripped out all the other rewards and made it available for the lowest price we can offer. Reminder: this is the ONLY TIME this 2-disc set will be available to the public. It is a KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE... AND, we are only making 50 available at this price.

Get yours now: http://kck.st/NGQAQl

Enjoy!

-Dave
  18. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

So the DVD, in general (not necessarily the special edition or blu-ray), isn't going to be available in-store anywhere, like Best Buy or fye or any places like that? Just through you guys, exclusively?
  19. CopperPot

CopperPot Member

Hiya,

Sorry if there's some confusion--though we haven't signed with a distributor yet, I'm sure you'll be able to buy the standard DVD in stores at some point.

If you want the special edition Kickstarter exclusive, which will have tons of archival footage not seen in the film, plus jacket art designed by Caroll, you'll have to get it on Kickstarter.

But yes, if you want just the film, there will be plenty of ways to get it!
  20. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member