I miss Kermit!

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
The funny thing about Kermit is he wasn't really used much after Jim died. I can count on one hand all the appearances he made with Steve performing him.

The first one was in the 1996 special Elmo saves Christmas where Steve's Kermit made a cameo appearance as the Sesame Street News reporter which was on the TV at Hooper's Store saying it would be Christmas again, just like the day before.

He was seen a few times during the 1997-1998 season. Once when he was interviewing Oscar and did a report on Slimey in space, and another time when Slimey's spaceship came home from the moon. That was the season finale.

He popped up the next year in the 1998-1999 season in a new sketch with Grover. It's the first and only time Steve Whitmire made a Sesame Street Kermit sketch.

The last time as we all know, was in the hurricane episodes. I recently got to see them for the first time.

So in a way Rosewood is right. After Jim's death they didn't really use him all that much in any new stuff. Although Ernie was also taken over by Steve, and since 1993 he's been seen lots and lots.

BEAR

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
I think all the old Kermit clips went to "Plaza Sesamo."

By the way, I don't think Ernie is Steve's only character on SS. Didn't he play Dr. Feel as well?
I think I meant just principle characters. Dr. Feel wasn't around for very long. I'm sure he does an Anything Muppet once in a while, but I just meant the main guys.

BEAR

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
The funny thing about Kermit is he wasn't really used much after Jim died. I can count on one hand all the appearances he made with Steve performing him.

The first one was in the 1996 special Elmo saves Christmas where Steve's Kermit made a cameo appearance as the Sesame Street News reporter which was on the TV at Hooper's Store saying it would be Christmas again, just like the day before.

He was seen a few times during the 1997-1998 season. Once when he was interviewing Oscar and did a report on Slimey in space, and another time when Slimey's spaceship came home from the moon. That was the season finale.

He popped up the next year in the 1998-1999 season in a new sketch with Grover. It's the first and only time Steve Whitmire made a Sesame Street Kermit sketch.

The last time as we all know, was in the hurricane episodes. I recently got to see them for the first time.

So in a way Rosewood is right. After Jim's death they didn't really use him all that much in any new stuff. Although Ernie was also taken over by Steve, and since 1993 he's been seen lots and lots.

Don't forget Elmopalooza. Also, I think he recorded Caribean Amphibean.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
I'm speaking of any way that these classic characters can still be made a part of the SS program, even if it is simply by showing old clips that have now been digitally enhansed. If SW has gone to all the trouble of digitally enhansing these classic clips, why not put them to good use? And if your wondering why I keep bringing the fact that older characters are slowly being erased to peoples attention, this is why: In the future, when SS has suddenly gone off the air and everyone wants to know why it happened, I want people to remember who was responsible. But even more than that, I want to keep it from ever happening in the first place. I may be just one person, but I know from experiences in my own life that it is possible for just one person to make a difference, even if the eventual outcome does look pretty grim at the present time. Why make such a speculation? Why ask such a question? It goes both ways, my friend.:attitude:
SS probaly won't go off the air. certainly if it does it will have nothing to do with not seeing the old clips whether it's muppet clips or other things. obviously if we don't like the newer shows the young ones do so let's not go overboard here.

Censored

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:

I think Jim Henson really defined Kermit, maybe even more so than Ernie. Jim Henson performed Kermit before Sesame Street, he used Kermit to make the transition to the Muppet Show, Muppet movies, and appeared to be THE Kermit in so many ways. Kind of like Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy or Sherri Lewis and Lamb Chop. Sadly, those characters seem to have died with their performers. In some ways, Kermit may have as well.

Having said that, I would certainly not mind seeing new Kermit skits (I thoroughly enjoyed a couple of the post-Henson Muppet movies) and I definitely can see no reason not to rerun the old classic skits with Henson's Kermit.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Kermit also appeared in CinderElmo. There is a song in the album Somgs from The Street, Ev'rybody Be Yo'self, which featured an introduction by Kermit, and according to the booklet, this was from the 2000-2001 season (the same season that the hurricane episodes were from). I was surprised when I read this, since I hadn't read anything about it on the forums untill then (after buying the album, which was at least six months after it was released, I read the review at Muppet Central again, and must have missed the comment about kermit being in that song).

Was the skit with Grover sellign kermit a flashlight really from the 1998-1999 season (I assume this is the sketch that was BooberFraggless was referring to)? I remember watching almost every episode from that season (I do know that there were some that I either didn't see, or didn't see all of), and I don't remember seeing that skit. I also remember that there weren't many Kermit skits shown that season (Was Sesame Workshop trying to phase Kermit out of the show back then, before The Jim henson Company was even sold to EM.TV?).

One thing that's odd is that Kermit appeared in all of these small productions, but wasn't even in The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland, a much bigger production (and Kermit's appearance in the Jim Henson Pictures opening logo does not count).

BEAR

Reaction score
Didn't Jim Henson once say something along the lines of the Muppets will live so long as the people want them too.

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Kermit also appeared in CinderElmo. There is a song in the album Somgs from The Street, Ev'rybody Be Yo'self, which featured an introduction by Kermit, and according to the booklet, this was from the 2000-2001 season (the same season that the hurricane episodes were from). I was surprised when I read this, since I hadn't read anything about it on the forums untill then (after buying the album, which was at least six months after it was released, I read the review at Muppet Central again, and must have missed the comment about kermit being in that song).

Was the skit with Grover sellign kermit a flashlight really from the 1998-1999 season (I assume this is the sketch that was BooberFraggless was referring to)? I remember watching almost every episode from that season (I do know that there were some that I either didn't see, or didn't see all of), and I don't remember seeing that skit. I also remember that there weren't many Kermit skits shown that season (Was Sesame Workshop trying to phase Kermit out of the show back then, before The Jim henson Company was even sold to EM.TV?).

One thing that's odd is that Kermit appeared in all of these small productions, but wasn't even in The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland, a much bigger production (and Kermit's appearance in the Jim Henson Pictures opening logo does not count).
How much did Steve really work on this movie though? Did he have any other characters besides Ernie? Ernie and Bert were basically just doing commentary (which was obviously filmed separately). Could have taken 15 minutes to tape.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Steve Whitmire also performed a bunch of one-shot characters in EIG, such as th Football Stenchman, the ice cream vendor, Stuckweed, and a parrot (it's weird that the parrot was listed in the credits, as the only parrot I could think of appeared in the background and didn't really do anything special enough to justify a credit). Most of those characters just made cameos, but if kermit was in the movie, he would have probably just had a cameo, nothing more or less than many of those other characters. Of course, it's possible that the writers thought Steve Whitmire wouldn't have much time to spend on the set, then by time it was known that he didn have more time to be in the movie it might have been too late to add a Kermit scene in the script.

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Steve Whitmire also performed a bunch of one-shot characters in EIG, such as th Football Stenchman, the ice cream vendor, Stuckweed, and a parrot (it's weird that the parrot was listed in the credits, as the only parrot I could think of appeared in the background and didn't really do anything special enough to justify a credit). Most of those characters just made cameos, but if kermit was in the movie, he would have probably just had a cameo, nothing more or less than many of those other characters. Of course, it's possible that the writers thought Steve Whitmire wouldn't have much time to spend on the set, then by time it was known that he didn have more time to be in the movie it might have been too late to add a Kermit scene in the script.
Makes me wonder if Bert and Ernie would have been in the actual story if things were different.