I miss Kermit!

Rosewood

Reaction score
I totally agree!

Ilikemuppets said:
Kermit is what makes Sesams Street what it is.
My thoughts exactly. I just wish the head people at SW would get their heads out of their pompous you-know-whats and be willing to admitt it. They may have done a great job creating "new" characters for todays SS, but you can't just go and give all the old characters the ax and start all over again like it seems they are trying to do. In order for SS to be where it is today, it took alot of time and effort on behalf of the people who made SS what it was before this. And simple recognition, by showing clips of their past work (like past Kermit clips), IMO, is the least they could do to grant Jim and others who have passed on the respect and recognition they have so rightfully earned.

BEAR

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
My thoughts exactly. I just wish the head people at SW would get their heads out of their pompous you-know-whats and be willing to admitt it. They may have done a great job creating "new" characters for todays SS, but you can't just go and give all the old characters the ax and start all over again like it seems they are trying to do. In order for SS to be where it is today, it took alot of time and effort on behalf of the people who made SS what it was before this. And simple recognition, by showing clips of their past work (like past Kermit clips), IMO, is the least they could do to grant Jim and others who have passed on the respect and recognition they have so rightfully earned.
I don't think "pompous" is the right word to describe them. However, remember that the only reason they can't use Kermit is because of the new ownership, not because they don't know how valueable he is. I am sure they do.

I just wonder why Kermit never talks anymore about his time on Sesame Street whenever he is doing interviews on talk shows and things. It seems like he has forgotten his roots.

Rosewood

Reaction score
They do have the rights to the clips, though.

BEAR said:
I don't think "pompous" is the right word to describe them. However, remember that the only reason they can't use Kermit is because of the new ownership, not because they don't know how valueable he is. I am sure they do.
When Jim Henson passed away and Kermit was removed from SS, SW lost the rights to make any new inserts showing the frog. However, they did gain access to, and STILL have the rights to show any footage that was shot before that which included Kermit. It's possible that they might want us to THINK that they don't have the ability to show these clips, and that would give them an easy explanation as to why they are not showing these clips anymore. But the truth is that they have the right to show every clip from every episode that they have in their archives, no matter who or what it shows regarding characters. I honestly, truely believe that the reason these characters (played by people like Jim and Richard) are slowly being erased is not only so we, the viewers, wont have examples of Jims work to compare with that being done today, but also because they (the people at SW) know that, if they bide their time, the kids of today will eventually forget these characters completely. The producers at SW can say all the "respectfull praises" to Jim and his legacy that they want, but, when it comes right down to it, I honestly get the feeling that it is all talk simply to save face.:sympathy:

BEAR

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
When Jim Henson passed away and Kermit was removed from SS, SW lost the rights to make any new inserts showing the frog. However, they did gain access to, and STILL have the rights to show any footage that was shot before that which included Kermit. It's possible that they might want us to THINK that they don't have the ability to show these clips, and that would give them an easy explanation as to why they are not showing these clips anymore. But the truth is that they have the right to show every clip from every episode that they have in their archives, no matter who or what it shows regarding characters. I honestly, truely believe that the reason these characters (played by people like Jim and Richard) are slowly being erased is not only so we, the viewers, wont have examples of Jims work to compare with that being done today, but also because they (the people at SW) know that, if they bide their time, the kids of today will eventually forget these characters completely. The producers at SW can say all the "respectfull praises" to Jim and his legacy that they want, but, when it comes right down to it, I honestly get the feeling that it is all talk simply to save face.:sympathy:
But they were still doing new things with Kermit even after Henson died. Steve Whitmire had been playing him. His last new appearance was the hurricane episode a few years ago. They still occasionally show Ernie sketches from when Jim Performed him. So it doesn't have to do with Jim Henson dying.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Then mabey I'm totally off base here.....

BEAR said:
But they were still doing new things with Kermit even after Henson died. Steve Whitmire had been playing him. His last new appearance was the hurricane episode a few years ago. They still occasionally show Ernie sketches from when Jim Performed him. So it doesn't have to do with Jim Henson dying.
If what you are saying is true, and I wouldn't doubt that it is, then it's very possible I could totally be off base here. It didn't occur to me that Steve did Kermits voice for so long after Jim passed away, especially for SS. But now that you have brought it to my attention, I see you are indeed correct, and I stand corrected. I do wish that SW would not be so hesitant to show old clips, (like ones with Kermit), though. It just seems so illogical for them to have all these digitally enhanced clips at their finger tips, and yet not be doing anything with them.(other than showing one every now and then):cry:

BEAR

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
If what you are saying is true, and I wouldn't doubt that it is, then it's very possible I could totally be off base here. It didn't occur to me that Steve did Kermits voice for so long after Jim passed away, especially for SS. But now that you have brought it to my attention, I see you are indeed correct, and I stand corrected. I do wish that SW would not be so hesitant to show old clips, (like ones with Kermit), though. It just seems so illogical for them to have all these digitally enhanced clips at their finger tips, and yet not be doing anything with them.(other than showing one every now and then):cry:
Yeah, Steve started to perform Kermit almost immediately after Jim passed on, and continued to until a couple years ago. Now that Disney has bought the regular Muppet Show characters, Steve only performs Kermit in the Muppet projects and only plays Ernie on Sesame Street. I think Ernie is the only character Steve plays on SS. I don't know what the big deal is in showing old clips. They used one for the recent A Celebration of Grover DVD, but that was it. Kermit was also on about a month ago when they re-aired the Hurricane series. From what I understand, SW still has permission to use old Kermit clips. I don't see why they don't take advantage of that. I do understand why they are unable to use him now from new episodes. Its a legal thing I guess. I am sure Disney would be willing to negotiate with SW on allowing Kermit to make maybe one or two new appearances a season. Even in just brief cameos. I don't see it happening though.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
I might be asking a stupid question butwhen you say they're slowly being erased, do you mean the clips themselves? If so why make such a specualation?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I think all the old Kermit clips went to "Plaza Sesamo."

By the way, I don't think Ernie is Steve's only character on SS. Didn't he play Dr. Feel as well?

Rosewood

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
I might be asking a stupid question butwhen you say they're slowly being erased, do you mean the clips themselves? If so why make such a specualation?
I'm speaking of any way that these classic characters can still be made a part of the SS program, even if it is simply by showing old clips that have now been digitally enhansed. If SW has gone to all the trouble of digitally enhansing these classic clips, why not put them to good use? And if your wondering why I keep bringing the fact that older characters are slowly being erased to peoples attention, this is why: In the future, when SS has suddenly gone off the air and everyone wants to know why it happened, I want people to remember who was responsible. But even more than that, I want to keep it from ever happening in the first place. I may be just one person, but I know from experiences in my own life that it is possible for just one person to make a difference, even if the eventual outcome does look pretty grim at the present time. Why make such a speculation? Why ask such a question? It goes both ways, my friend.:attitude: