In Development: Henson's Fraggle Rock Movie

cherrypotion27

Reaction score
Fraggle Rock movie

So, a Fraggle Rock movie is definite? Yippee! (jumps up and down like an excited Fraggle). Can't wait to see it, and to see my fav Fraggle, Boober, in action on the big screen. Wonder what will happen to him in the movie? And I sincerely hope they don't get the writers for such Disney-made Muppet movies as "Muppets Treaure Island" and "Muppets from Space" working on the film (the Disney-made Muppet movies, so far, have been horrible as far as I'm concerned, and just show that the folks at Disney know diddly about the Muppet characters).

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hey, don't sweat it. Disney has nothing to do with this movie, it's the Jim Henson Company. Disney itself only owns the Muppets.

However, you should know that Muppet's From Space wasn't realised by Disney. Nice as it would be to lay the blame of that *shiver* movie on Disney, it lies all over the place with a myriad of people who knew diddly squat about the Muppets.

Muppet Treasure Island, however, is my favorite Muppet movie. I'll just not mention that right at this moment though.

Neat to hear that Boober is your favorite character! Oh, and welcome to MC.

cherrypotion27

Reaction score
Hey, don't sweat it. Disney has nothing to do with this movie, it's the Jim Henson Company. Disney itself only owns the Muppets.

However, you should know that Muppet's From Space wasn't realised by Disney. Nice as it would be to lay the blame of that *shiver* movie on Disney, it lies all over the place with a myriad of people who knew diddly squat about the Muppets.

Muppet Treasure Island, however, is my favorite Muppet movie. I'll just not mention that right at this moment though.

Neat to hear that Boober is your favorite character! Oh, and welcome to MC.
Phew! Thats a relief to know (that the Fraggle Rock movie won't be produced by Disney). I hate to say it, but I just don't like the Disney-made Muppet movies, mostly because of the personality changes some Muppets went through, like Fozzie Bear going from a comedian to a moron (especially in "Muppets Treasure Island" and "Muppets from Space"), for example. Or Kermit going from mild-mannered to slamming Miss Piggy right to her face. The Kermit I grew up on would never have dared call Miss Piggy "fatso" (like he reportedly does on Muppet Vision 3D) for fear of her karate-chopping him. I also don't like the fact that we hardly ever see Scooter anymore just because Richard Hunt (Scooter's original actor) died of AIDS. My statement to those who would rather forget Richard and his work just because he had AIDS is, "so what?" Banish him and his great work just because he had a stigmatized illness many people even today are still ignorant about? Yeah, whatever (rolls eyes) :boo:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, we can't blame Disney for MFS. But I do really dislike seeing how mean Kermit is to Piggy lately. I don't want to say things could never get better with future projects. You never know what can happen. But ::shrugs:: I just don't know. I hope the Fraggle movie will work out. That's all we can do. :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
I also don't like the fact that we hardly ever see Scooter anymore just because Richard Hunt (Scooter's original actor) died of AIDS.
I agree that Scooter's disappearance was a sad, sad occurrence, but I don't think that had anything to do with the circumstances of Hunt's death. It was just because the didn't recast him, either out of respect for Richard, or because it just wouldn't work. Similar to Rowlf who slipped silently away after Jim. I don't think anyone held Richard's illness against Scooter...I've never heard anyone mention that as a logical reason for Scooter's absence.

I agree that Fozzie was bearly (bear, yes) recognizable in MCC and MTI, though he was back to his innocence and big-heartedness in Very Merry Muppet Christmas. It was so good to see him back.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
The Kermit I grew up on would never have dared call Miss Piggy "fatso" (like he reportedly does on Muppet Vision 3D) for fear of her karate-chopping him.
Muppet*Vision 3D was directed by Jim Henson, and at that point, the Muppets weren't officially owned by Disney, so you could blame the "fatso" remark on Jim and Bill Prady, the writer.

Luke

Reaction score
I also don't like the fact that we hardly ever see Scooter anymore just because Richard Hunt (Scooter's original actor) died of AIDS. My statement to those who would rather forget Richard and his work just because he had AIDS is, "so what?" Banish him and his great work just because he had a stigmatized illness many people even today are still ignorant about? Yeah, whatever (rolls eyes) :boo:
As Beau says, that had nothing to do with it. Scooter would probably have been rested out of respect for Richard - he was so highly regarded at JHC, i expect they felt nobody could fill his shoes - and even when people do take over the characters it's never quite the same. Many of Jim's characters were also rested after his death - it just wasn't really possible for them to rest Kermit being the central character. Overall the reaction to Richard's work from fans and well, just about anyone has always been massively positive. I realise there are people with Aids who do get treated badly and your sentiments are great, but we kinda have to be careful discussing sensitive issues here as the peoples families are often reading. Oh and welcome to MC, being a Dr Bunz voter i know you've got taste!

cherrypotion27

Reaction score
To Luke

No, I didn't assume. Someone else on MC (I can't remember who, but their article included a pic of Scooter wearing a T shirt that says "My uncle owns the theatre") posted a tribute to Richard Hunt and maybe I misunderstood them, but it sounded like this person was attributing Scooter's disappearance to Richard Hunt's illness. Thats where I got my info from, this person's Richard Hunt tribute.

Patricia/cherrypotion27

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah I know which tribute you mean. That was one person's opinion, not everyone agrees with it. But, no worries. :smile: