Indiewire: Does Muppets Most Wanted Have Oscar "Best Song" Potential?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dude... if anything from the Muppets is passed up, I at least hope "Everything is Awesome" gets a nod.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, but let's be honest... the Best Song Oscar didn't go to some pretentious ethnic band singing about how horrible something is from a depressing "prestige" picture, and it went to a people pleasing song that time. And seriously, the BIGGER miscarriage of justice was that Blame Canada lost to the sappy, saccharine Tarzan movie song. Though, it DID give South Park a great passive aggressive revenge episode. I almost wanted Book of Mormon to lose to see them react to that one. Also, it wasn't that crappy song from Rio, which thankfully the judges thought sucked too, cuz it worked to our advantage. Though the Captain America song should have got a nomination. But it would have won it.

As for the Muppet songs, well... I don't think there's anything as strong as Man or Muppet, but I'd say I liked the original songs overall better to TM's. I honestly can't chose which of them I'd love to see compete. The sequel one sounds like a solid choice, but I'd say the wink and nod humor of the lyrics would put it as a disadvantage. I'd prefer the patter quality of The Interrogation Song, or the wonderfully warped Cockatoo in Malibu bit. Something so Right has that urgent penultimate act closer/last act opener feel to it.

Other than that, I think Paul Williams wrote the bull song from Book of Life. But that was pretty under the radar, it's likely it wouldn't get a nod. But if there's no Muppets on the short list, at least Paul Williams should get a nomination.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Yeah, but let's be honest... the Best Song Oscar didn't go to some pretentious ethnic band singing about how horrible something is from a depressing "prestige" picture, and it went to a people pleasing song that time. And seriously, the BIGGER miscarriage of justice was that Blame Canada lost to the sappy, saccharine Tarzan movie song. Though, it DID give South Park a great passive aggressive revenge episode. I almost wanted Book of Mormon to lose to see them react to that one. Also, it wasn't that crappy song from Rio, which thankfully the judges thought sucked too, cuz it worked to our advantage. Though the Captain America song should have got a nomination. But it would have won it.

As for the Muppet songs, well... I don't think there's anything as strong as Man or Muppet, but I'd say I liked the original songs overall better to TM's. I honestly can't chose which of them I'd love to see compete. The sequel one sounds like a solid choice, but I'd say the wink and nod humor of the lyrics would put it as a disadvantage. I'd prefer the patter quality of The Interrogation Song, or the wonderfully warped Cockatoo in Malibu bit. Something so Right has that urgent penultimate act closer/last act opener feel to it.

Other than that, I think Paul Williams wrote the bull song from Book of Life. But that was pretty under the radar, it's likely it wouldn't get a nod. But if there's no Muppets on the short list, at least Paul Williams should get a nomination.
How did they not advertise any music from Book of Life? I still haven't seen it, but it seems to have plenty of songs. Someone dropped the ball in marketing this movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It has some songs in it. They just don't really advertise music in movies anymore. Maybe with the exception of Frozen after it became a hit. But Paul Williams did write at least the music of the film's powerful song about Bullfighting. It's a major spoiler, but other than that, it just flew under the radar considering it's low 17 mil opening.

And let's not forget that Boxtrolls song from...ehh... you know. There was plenty of big songs in films this year. I hope the Muppets can manage to get at least one of theirs nominated.

Princeton

Reaction score
Even if multiple songs from MMW get nominated, "Something So Right" will win. Most Best Song Oscars go to 'pretty' songs, and SSR is the only song that fits that category. My favorite is "Interrogation Song" but I would be psyched if that one even got a nom. Now to go back thirty years, is anyone else still as miffed as I am that none of the songs from MTM got nominated? "Saying Goodbye" and "He'll Make Me Happy" are definitely Oscar-worthy.

Amampersanda

Reaction score
To me, a song has Best Song potential when it sounds like it was really made for the movie. I remember people being mad Happy didn't win last year, but it just doesn't sound like a song from a movie. It sounds like a song that was bought for use in the credits for a movie. There were no ties to film in the lyrics.

I think any song from MMW fits that criteria. You know it's an original song made with the film in mind so I'm really hoping we can win this one next year.

I was pretty surprised Indiewire picked Interrogation Song and I'll Get You What You Want but not Something So Right. (Granted those two songs are my favourites)
SSR is so good. It's emotional, Piggy sounds great, the other Muppet's sound great, and really, how can you say 'no' to Celine Dion when it comes to an award?

Who would turn down the opportunity for Piggy and Celine to perform live at the Oscars together? That would be amazing to see.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
SSR is so good. It's emotional, Piggy sounds great, the other Muppet's sound great, and really, how can you say 'no' to Celine Dion when it comes to an award?

Who would turn down the opportunity for Piggy and Celine to perform live at the Oscars together? That would be amazing to see.
For real though! As I've mentioned before, one of my younger sisters (after having heard the song, as well as seeing the movie for the first time) claimed that there's nothing original about the song, and that "a 4th grader could have written those lyrics!" Why she has the nerve to think like that is beyond me.

Amampersanda

Reaction score
sesamemuppetfan said:
For real though! As I've mentioned before, one of my younger sisters (after having heard the song, as well as seeing the movie for the first time) claimed that there's nothing original about the song, and that "a 4th grader could have written those lyrics!" Why she has the nerve to think like that is beyond me.
Kids these days thinking they're so edgy. psh

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Kids these days thinking they're so edgy. psh
Well, she's a senior in high school to begin with. Secondly, she's the type of person who will take things a little too seriously, and there were a pretty good number of things in MMW that she felt the need to criticize. But, you're right though about kids today.