Interesting Gulf War News

EmmyMik

Reaction score
If this whole war is about WMD, then why aren't we invading North Korea?

They have WMD. They are a lot closer to us than Iraq. They have threatened to use them against us.

Why aren't we liberating the people of North Korea as well?

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Completely different situation!

a) North Korean can possibly be dealt with thru diplomatic measures, something that did not work with Iraq.

b) Had we dealt with North Korea a few years ago when we knew about them first developing these weapons we wouldn't be in the situation with them that we are now. We now have the opportunity to prevent the same thing from happening in Iraq.

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Originally posted by MuppetsRule
a) North Korean can possibly be dealt with thru diplomatic measures, something that did not work with Iraq.
Diplomatic measures with Iraq were rushed, at best. Bush wanted war and only went to the UN after there was an outcry from the international community. They were rather ticked off at us for wanting to go at it alone. The "diplomatic measures" were a joke.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Diplomatic measures with Iraq were rushed, at best. Bush wanted war and only went to the UN after there was an outcry from the international community. They were rather ticked off at us for wanting to go at it alone. The "diplomatic measures" were a joke.

Rushed? Hussein had twelve years to disarm.

Bush did not go to the U.N. only after there was an outcry from the international community. The resolution was passed in November by a vote of 15-0.

sugarbritchez

Reaction score
I think that if the whole world watched more muppets...........we would all get along...............LOL

(trades all of the bombs in Iraq with Tickle Me Elmo dolls)

Tee heeeee heeeeee

GPrime1

Reaction score
France, for example, has never won a war (except the French Revolution when they battled themselves)!

Ummmm, not to be overly picky here, but France was a pretty big military/imperial power for hundreds of years, and that didn't happen by losing wars all the time. In the early nineteenth century there was some guy named Napoleon, can't really remember what he did though...Also, I'd go and re-read some of the history from the First World War and check out France's role there. Granted, since World War II France has lot most of its military and international prestige in that sense, to discredit them for doing absolutely nothing is kinda unfair.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Sweetpants said, "(trades all of the bombs in Iraq with Tickle Me Elmo dolls)"

PERFECT! I always use the old attage: "He who dies with the most toys WINS!" I think that should be the case instead of bombs.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After all, Iraq’s soldiers are SURRENDERING! Why? Because they realize the evils of the regime for which they have been working where they would die if they opposed being in the military or try to get out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Or they could be just trying to save their own butts. I bet that the thought of surrendering just so they don't get killed is running through more soldiers' minds than "what I'm doing is wrong; I'd better surrender to the other guy."

They ARE trying to save their own butts; if not, they would likely die anyhow at the hands of the very man they serve. Is there not a history of those who work for Saddam disappearing or dying (not by natural causes)?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
If you're against the war, should we continue the sanctions instead, which is how we were handling things before the war?

I want 3 people to answer this for me, pro's and con's.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by GPrime1
France, for example, has never won a war (except the French Revolution when they battled themselves)!

Ummmm, not to be overly picky here, but France was a pretty big military/imperial power for hundreds of years, and that didn't happen by losing wars all the time. In the early nineteenth century there was some guy named Napoleon, can't really remember what he did though...Also, I'd go and re-read some of the history from the First World War and check out France's role there. Granted, since World War II France has lot most of its military and international prestige in that sense, to discredit them for doing absolutely nothing is kinda unfair.

I was being more facecious than anything in that statement. Really, I appreciate France as being a wonderful country with great people, a BEAUTIFUL language, and superb food.

As far as giving-up, though, that seems to be what they are best known for! LOL!! I do recall that in WWII it was the allies that saved them from Nazis; but, I'll need a history lesson over what they did in WWI, because nothing I've looked up shows anything positive in the favor of France. I just want to know, really.

Also, someone mentioned in a 'round about way that the US should keep its nose out of other country's problems. Does anybody REALLY agree with that?