Interesting Gulf War News

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Very interesting links EmmyMik. But they are not fact, they are simply opinion pieces. One could find just as many links for opinion pieces supporting the war as opinion pieces agains the war.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
I really didn't want to get into this thread, but i guess i do have the right to speek my mind and i haven't done it yet with anyone yet so i will.

I don't know what to think of it, yesturday i saw on tv a guy giving a live interview and he had his gas mask on with very loud sirens going off in the background as he spoke, it was scary and unbeliveable it game me chills.

I'm not for war, i don't think anyone really is, but i don't know what we should do? i mean Saddam is a threat, and none of us know what to do really, we can make suggestions but we have no idea on how they would work, i mean how can we make peace if Saddam won't? yet how can we make war and go againts what many think is not the answer such as the UN?

Is this war for oil or to protect people? or both? isn't the oil beging distoyed in the war anyways?

I've looked at both sides with understanding for both war and peace, i would say i'm more for peace but how long will we live in peace before something else like september 11 happens again? if you can think back to september 10th 2001, " oh ladeeda everything is great!, then the next day boom, it happens so fast....history in the making,nobody knew.

I just saw on NBC of a phone call from a mother who just lost her son who was fighting in the war:cry: it's heartbreaking and i wish all this would just end and not another life lost.

we gotta suport the troops though, they are just fallowing orders, serving there contry, i mean they can't just say, i don't want to go to war, its what they are trained for. so God bless each and everyone out there and to all of their familys.

Zachary,:sympathy:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well said, Zack.

The oil, per the news reports, is supposed to be under guard by US and British troops. This is the main source of economy in Iraq, and many countries rely on that oil.

It's also my understanding that the Kurds, which Saddam gassed and killed hundreds of, want into battle to get back into their homelands of Iraq (ultimately, Saddam is another Hitler).

The Turks want in on the battle and have been told no, so they have withdrawn their offer of airspace.

The battle is for the protection of people. Some are too blind to realize that it is to escape another 9/11 in the future and/or to end the worries for future attacks against the US and other countries. That's the importance of this battle that people don't understand, and one of my arguments supporting the decision for this battle.

The reason I asked about the "continuation of sanctions" and asked if we should really keep our "US noses" out of other country's problems is this.

Under the sanctions with Iraq, we've cut off any trade with them (except oil?) which means ultimately we have a problem with federal aid going to their country to help its citizens, all because of Saddam Hussein. Has he done anything outside of that to help?

You judge and tell me he deserved more time:
http://www.unicef.org/newsline/2003/03pr14iraq.htm
http://www.unicef.org/newsline/2003/03pr17iraq.htm
http://www.unicef.org/reseval/iraqr.html

What you will find in these articles are the facts that because of Saddam's selfishness and regimes he has caused the cut-off of ties with countries who supported his people, and now the majority of the children suffer because of malnourishment! Since Saddam has been in office, the mortality rate for Iraq's children has risen to high numbers. I don't guess they mention whether they really live long enough to be killed by that regime or not.

Saddam has always captured and confiscated items sent to Iraq to help aid his people.

What about us keeping our nose out of other people's business? Well, if the US is such a bad place, places like Puerto Rico wouldn't get its help from us: Natl Geographic Society: "Puerto Ricans are US citizens, although island residents do not vote for president or pay federal income taxes; they have only nonvoting representation in Congress. The US Govt takes care of defense and foreign affairs and foots the bill for welfare (for which almost 60% of Puerto Ricans qualify). So, PR folks are US citizens who can't vote and we give 60% of the PR population welfare checks from tax money raised here in the US, and the PR folks don't pay taxes.

My point? Well, taken the fact that we give away money like that to them(my hard earned money paid to taxes goes to PR, too!), it also goes to other countries all around the world. Heck, even after this new Gulf War, we have money set aside now to rebuild?! US is a very generous, and under appreciated, country.

I'm sure our MC friends in allied countries could also give examples of how their countries are generous and underappreciated.

Finally, why is everyone down on Bush? I don't hear people barking about the leaders of our allied countries involvement in any of this.

I guess I have one more thing to say and then I HAVE to take a nap (at work): I'm for peace. I hate conflict and worry. I'm stressing out over this because I find out I know some of the folks who have gone into BATTLE over there, and heck may be some of the ones killed by now??! But, how can you preserve peace when you have sadistic people out there like Saddam and his sons who are waiting to just blow folks like us up? You can't. Get rid of the problem before it begins, and that's what's happening now.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by EmmyMik
Peace was not an option. He only went to the UN to make some people quiet down.
Whether or not he wanted war, he probably knew there was no chance of sorting this out through the U.N. I mean having a resolution that depends on Saddam Hussein telling the the truth about what he has ? I don't think the guy would even give a straight answer if you asked him if he wanted a chewing gum !

sugarbritchez

Reaction score
Thanks Fozzie...I like it when you call me sweetpants....LOL

Ok to all those offended by my Tickle Me Elmo Remark........I am so sorry.............I have been accused of not taking this seriously and I assure you that is not the case.

I know more than anyone what is going on over there.....my (adopted) little brother is on the FRONT LINE Marines 3rd Inf. ( the first to go in this time) so I know more than anyone. Everytime they say a marine killed I shake and panic. I "thought" that I would lighten things up......I haven't offended anyone in any way.

and another thing.....my friends' husband is being shipped off next weekend. So yeah I am very well aware of the seriousness of this.........

So to those offended..........SORRY!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Who got offended by that?! LOL!! I didn't see that anywhere.

I know severl folks over there, and the son of one of my customers is frontline marine infantry! It is spooky.

But, if we plan to not worry about being bombed in the future, then we definitely needed to do this because Saddam is insane.

I also wish someone very diplomatic would go talk to Korea now. Seems that per the agreement that if we help them, they wouldn't build nukes. They backed out of their agreement.

Should we begin sending Tickle Me Elmos? Or are those made there? :crazy:

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
FozzieBear

The post in which you cited the Unicef articles is one of the best posts I have seen yet on this subject.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Sugarbritchez

I'd like to take a moment to thank you, your family, and especially your little brother for the many sacrifices made so that we may all enjoy our freedoms.

Having close friends in the FBI, Secret Service, and the Army, I know firsthand the dedication and love these people have for their country.

Our prayers, thoughts and thanks go out to them! :attitude:

Luke

Reaction score
If i was out there (and i actually wish i was, well with moderate protection - thrilling stuff !!) i would prefer the bombs than the tickle me elmos - seriously, i would !