Interesting Gulf War News

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah now ya see the Chicken Dance Elmo's wouldn't be so bad - cos i could show it to all the other Iraqi's who have been starved of Elmo all this time (maybe once it's been liberated we can all move over) and get them to learn it. Then i could hold one massive Chicken Dance around the Ministry Of Information and get myself on CNN !

Do you think they'd put a temporary halt to the bombing for an Iraqi Chicken Dance Troupe ? I'm thinking Bush might go for that - Saddam can join in if he wants but he'd better not goose me !

:eek:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
What about Chicken Dance Elmo?:stick_out_tongue:
Send those to France...

PS I'm not a France-boycotter, but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to tell that joke. France is cool, though. Never been there, but anyway...

Luke

Reaction score
France would probably think they were an invading army of Chickens and surrender to them !

CraigD

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
I definitely DO agree with SidCrowe that we should never have done anything in the past to help Iraq against Iran or Ice Cream or whoever!! But, if we don’t get involved, and we don’t keep our eyes and ears open, what happens? WE get smacked. Sure, we nuked Japan; but, what did they do to us first? I do, however, totally disagree with the way it was done, and there were civilians that died—although, there were civilians who died during Pearl Harbor also.

I find that comment pretty ridiculous and offensive to Japan. Bringing Pearl Harbour into this is lame.

Craig

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Originally posted by MuppetsRule
Very interesting links EmmyMik. But they are not fact, they are simply opinion pieces. One could find just as many links for opinion pieces supporting the war as opinion pieces agains the war.
But there is truth at the heart of the matter.

Bush wanted war. Powell basically said "Let's not go to war just yet," and Cheney and Rummy got really ticked off. So did Bush.

Peace was never an option for this lot. War was the first, last, and only solution for them.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Yes EmmyMik, there is some truth to some of it. Very few times when it comes to war are there clear cut answers, however. Remember, we aren't privy to all the intelligence reports that the administration has. Powell and Cheney are very experienced military men and their credentials are impeccable. I trust their decisions.

Please also note that the dateline on the article you cite where Powell expresses his wishes that the time for war isn't yet is September 2002. Over seven months ago! Since then, Powell has said that war was necessary. And yet it is said that Bush rushed to war? :confused:

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Yes EmmyMik, there is some truth to some of it. Very few times when it comes to war are there clear cut answers, however. Remember, we aren't privy to all the intelligence reports that the administration has. Powell and Cheney are very experienced military men and their credentials are impeccable. I trust their decisions.
Powell served in the military. And I respect him more than anyone else in this administration. But I wouldn't quite call Cheney the "experienced military man".

Please also note that the dateline on the article you cite where Powell expresses his wishes that the time for war isn't yet is September 2002. Over seven months ago! Since then, Powell has said that war was necessary. And yet it is said that Bush rushed to war? :confused:
Bush's decision was made before September 2002. We would have gone to war then had it not been for the uproar. Going to the UN was just a formality, a token gesture. The time between then and now was not a consideration of peace or other options. It was an illusion.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Sorry, EmmyMik but one of the major premises in the opinion piece you cited from Sept. 2002 is that Bush and his political advisors wanted to invade Iraq so that Republicans could gain a partisan political advantage in the November 2002 elections. Obviously, that didn't happen. So how can you make the assertion that Bush "rushed" to war? :confused:

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
She just answered that question. Why don't you try clarifying yourself so she doesn't have to repeat herself?

-Kim

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by EmmyMik

Bush's decision was made before September 2002. We would have gone to war then had it not been for the uproar. Going to the UN was just a formality, a token gesture. The time between then and now was not a consideration of peace or other options. It was an illusion.
Personally, I agree that UN posturing was an empty gesture. If war was certain, and it seems that it was, we should have just done it in November when the weather was cooler there and public approval was higher.