Interesting Gulf War News

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah i don't really go for all that notion of the middle east countries getting on Saddams side and rising against us in the West ..... just don't think he's that important to them. It's an oil rich region so he hasn't really got much to offer them they don't already have. I'd love for us to just leave em all to fight it out amongst themselves but sooner or later they'd get bored and get ambitions of coming after us.

I really don't see them getting to Saddam after all this though - he'll probably escape and do a Bin Laden somehow. He probably isn't even where they think he is now. I don't see it as being quick either - maybe getting to Baghdad will be quick but then it might turn a bit nasty, it's not gonna be great PR for the soldiers to go rampaging through schools and mosques to find the people who matter. I think the only real way to finish it off would be a small nuke or some massive bomb but with such poor public opinion that would be a really bad move.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd like to request a closed thread, if I may?

As a wise bass player once said, "Don't argue politics, just play the gig!"

Personally, I'd just love to frag every country that lets someone like Saddam into power. I mean, what sounds good about a totalitarian regime? The torcher? The propaganda papers? The fact if you mutter anything as slight as, "you know, I personally think such and such is a good leader, but I don't quite agree fully on that quip," you get your head chopped off in a microsecond? Or could it be the fact that they force beliefs on the masses?

face it, huimans are pretty stupid.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The radio just announced that President Bush will be making an announcement tonight on Television. I'm sure my pals across the big blue wet thing will be able to see it, too.

I was just wondering, though; if Saddam has little cells of militants here and they might have chemical warfare and stuff going on, they could use it against us--whether what we're doing is attacking their political/military bases or not, they'll go after us civilians!

Geez.

Well, if we go to war tonight, and something really and truly bad DOES happen, and somehow, some reason or other, I don't make it through to see tomorrow--IF we go to war tonight and things go down--just want to go on record saying that I love you guys and ya'll are my best friends; online anyhow.

If nothing happens, though--forget that I got mushy.
:cry: :wink: :concern: :sympathy:

:embarrassed:
~Foz/Kev

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, if anything bad DOES go down before I get lucky (or at least get the Pigs in Space set and Floyd) Let's just say I'll be totally P.O'd!:mad: :boo: :grouchy:

Luke

Reaction score
Bush is apparently gonna give Saddam 72 hours to get out or it's war. I wouldn't be suprised if they took em (slightly) by suprise at some point though so you can bet your bippy they'll say 'Upto 72 hours and he must start showing signs of moving now or they might act sooner". As for Chemicals, yeah entirely possible - there was rumoured to be a lot of Iraqi cells in the states at the time of the first WTC bombing. The only comfort is that if they do use chemicals it'd only affect a small area where they did it - ok thats tragic enough - but at least they'd give themselves away by doing it. I think Bin Laden and Al Qaida are the real ones to watch out for if it ever comes to that though.

The thing about all this is that Saddam isn't supposed to have any WMD - so if suddenly he uses them in any way, anywhere it proves the USA/UK right and a lot of the anti war support would drop and maybe other countries come in against Iraq too.

......... anyway hopefully if it came to chemical or nuclear war they'd do the decent thing and give some warning of any attack so people could go out and stock up on the essential things in life - Food, Water, Palisades Muppet Toys etc. The least they can do is wait till after the comic cons ! :zany:

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I think Fozzie Bear states the case for war very accurretly.

Nobody wants war. Not even President Bush. But sometimes it is necessary. If the President "likes to make war" as Tommie asserts then we would have been at war with Iraq a long time ago. I take great offense to Tommies statement that Bush "wants to bomb the place down, like the USA did in Afghanistan". The United States military does not indiscrimanently bomb a place down but carefully selects military targets. And the U.S. is spending billions to build infrastructure, schools, etc. in Afghanistan.

Saddam Hussein has had years to disarm and has refused to do so, time and time again. A good analogy is that Hussein is a lot like a benign tumor. You can either have it operated on now to remove it and put up with a little pain or you can ignore it for years and let it grow but sooner or later you will have to deal with it when it is much worse, and much more painful. Look at the mess we have now with North Korea and their possession of nuclear weapons that can reach Japan and the west coast of the U.S. Had we taken action with them years ago when President Clinton knew they were developing them, we wouldn't be in the situation now.

As far as boycotting France goes, I'm all for it. How many of our soldiers are buried on French soil and died while liberating France from Hitler and Germany? I don't think it's so much France disagreeing with the U.S. that Americans take offense to, but their deliberate attempt to embarress the U.S. by negotiating with other countries to oppose the U.S. and threatening to veto any U.N. resolution proposed by the U.S.

May God bless our troops!!!

Luke

Reaction score
CNN is now saying they thinks it's 48 hours !

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
like i stated before, i have no idea how this war is going to last; but hopefully it'll last a few weeks to about a month. i for one don't like the thought of war, but i think it is used and only used in the last option. i'm kind of scared because i don't want to be drafted. i want to defend my country but the idea of going over seas is unsettling. but hopefully i won't get drafted.

i do think saddam should have been taken out years ago, during the gulf war, but he was left un harmed and now flash foward to 2003, and he we go again, only this time, saddam has to give up and be taken to jail.

just my thoughts.....

ryan

Thijs

Reaction score
MuppetsRule,

You have to admit there are going to fall many, many casualties among the Iraq people.
And about the oil, USA have that reason to attack Iraq remember.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Nobody said that war was glorious or that innocents aren't killed. But you also have to admit that there have been many, many casualties among the Iraq people because of Hussein's brutal regime. What do you think happens to anyone in Iraq who dares oppose him? Do you really think that he cares one bit about his own people? This is the same man who used nerve gas on his own people. His scorched earth policy after the Gulf War (and his promise to use it again) was a crime against his country and it's resources.

And to say that the US wishes to attack Iraq because of its oil is simplistic. If that were the case we could just attack Canada or Mexico. One of the United States' strongest allies in the Middle-East is Israel, a stand that has not been popular in that region, to see the least. And Israel has NO oil. I'm not saying that the US doesn't have an economic interest in Iraq, but to say that we wish to attack Iraq just because of oil is ludicrous. And why do you think France and Russia oppose any US action? They have billion dollar contracts with Iraq for oil. And as little as a month ago France has been selling replacement parts for Iraqi fighter jets. The truth is that all countries consider economic factors when making international policy, to think otherwise would be naive.