Is anyone interested in a great books thread?

Beebers

Reaction score
*crawls back in hole but can't find lid . . . there it is, looks like Beau under there*

James Joyce, anyone?

:big_grin:

That was a nice hug, Phantom.

James Joyce?

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Haven't read any Joyce, sorry....I've been meaning to...
What a/b Richard Adams, since a good deal of us seem to be fantasy-inclined? The writer of Watership Down & other such books? I REALLY like Adams...Though sometimes, he can get a lil' violent.

Speaking of Adams, howzabout Douglas? I've just started Hitchhiker, but so far, it's got me in STITCHES!!!

Beebers

Reaction score
I've always like your signature, by the way. All too true, too.

Richard Adams, Watership Down still stands as a lifelong favorite for me. Good parables to life, some difficult, but true and thought-provoking.

*emerges from hole, leaving Beau squirming under lid in Siberian steppe*

:cool:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I love the Chronicles of Narnia and think it's really cool that Tolkien and Lewis were lifelong best buddies. I am much more dedicated to Middle-earth than Narnia, but I really do love Lewis' world and the brilliant way in which he describes it. Personally, I like the religious undertones; it's somehow encouraging that it's so easy to love Aslan. I probably love Watership Down just as much. One of the most wonderful books I've ever read, and that ending... wow. Gives me goosebumps. Not to mention, it's responsible for Art Garfunkel singing one of the most gorgeous songs in his canon, "Bright Eyes," the theme song for the movie.
Erin

Beebers

Reaction score
Bright Eyes, God, what a gossamer song. Heartbreaker, oh, wow. It's in my head right now.

:cry: :cool: :cry: :cool:

Whatever

Reaction score
Manda:-D said:
What a/b Richard Adams, since a good deal of us seem to be fantasy-inclined? The writer of Watership Down & other such books? I REALLY like Adams...Though sometimes, he can get a lil' violent.

Speaking of Adams, howzabout Douglas? I've just started Hitchhiker, but so far, it's got me in STITCHES!!!
I love both of those authors too! One of my sister's friends got a DVD of Hitchhiker for Xmas and less than 2 weeks later my sister sweet talked her into letting her borrow it!

buckshot

Reaction score
i'm currently reading a book by noam chomsky called "media control". very interesting book. gets you thinking. :big_grin:

Beebers

Reaction score
I've heard a lot about that book, one I plan to read (a long list there, the plan-to-read-list).

:cool:

lili

Reaction score
Whatever said:
I love both of those authors too! One of my sister's friends got a DVD of Hitchhiker for Xmas and less than 2 weeks later my sister sweet talked her into letting her borrow it!
has anyone heard about the new Hitchhiker movie that's in preprod? jim henson company is working on it...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mjs2000/news.htm

in terms of really great books, check out

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon.

It's no. 1 in the uk at the moment, and has won a whole bunch of awards for both adult and young adult.