Is anyone interested in a great books thread?

jediX

Reaction score
Oh, it is, and it's great reading too -- but I'd much rather read LOTR...or at least have less reading. Sometimes college seems like nothing but an independent study where you read excessive amounts of books. :wink:

Whatever

Reaction score
He was a vetinarian in England who wrote hysterical books about his experiences. Supposedly. I was a little disenchanted when I found out that that is actually a pen name and that he made some of it up... but still, funny stuff.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Yeah, it was actually James Wight, and he took some creative liberties with his writing, but it was very much based in his everyday life as a country vet. The stories are touching and hilarious. They're among my favorite books.
Erin

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Yeah, it was actually James Wight, and he took some creative liberties with his writing, but it was very much based in his everyday life as a country vet. The stories are touching and hilarious. They're among my favorite books.
Erin
Is there a title of the series?

jediX said:
Oh, it is, and it's great reading too -- but I'd much rather read LOTR...or at least have less reading. Sometimes college seems like nothing but an independent study where you read excessive amounts of books.
That's for sure!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
His first four books are the first four lines of the hymn "All Things Bright and Beautiful." The first is "All Creatures Great and Small" - a bit out of order. :stick_out_tongue: "All Things Bright and Beautiful" is next, then "All Things Wise and Wonderful" and "The Lord God Made Them All." He also had another written quite a bit later called "Every Living Thing" - ironically enough, the one I read first. I think those were his only five books, though they've been packaged in other forms, such as a couple chapters that were made into beautifully illustrated children's books.
Erin

Beebers

Reaction score
The Herriot books aren't as fictional as was perpetuated, that idea took fire for awhile but it's really very little and was done in part for readability and in part to conceal the occasional identity, as he was writing about his friends and neighbors whom he then had to mix with every day once the books began coming out, small towns and all. Take heart, 95% is true.

Everyone should read these books, and they're best read in order.

:cool:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Beebers said:
I forgot about Nancy Drew, God, they were great. I did the same thing, natural progression from N.D. to Aggie I think, especially for early/avid readers.

:cool:
*gulp*

I must confess to liking Nacy Drew's even though I'm a boy. I always thought they were really good.

In regard to Tom Clancy,. I don't know howmuch, but most.

In regard to Aggie, Then there were none in the only one of hers that truly freaked me out.

Does anyone read P G Woodhouse? Boy are they funny.