Is Cookie Monster no more?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
Do you suppose Frank Oz was trying to say something when he directing that movie?
Hehe, that's a good point, I hadn't thought of that! Hmmm...:frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
MeepBorkMeep said:
Actually, Guy Smiley is full of calcium, and a fun, delicous anytime treat for on the go kids. He contains Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Iron, and everything kids need to grow.

Only a Muppet fan would reply a comeback like that! Thanks for being that one!:halo: :big_grin:

F

furryredmonster

heralde said:
Wow...I can think of something worse though. I worked at a summer camp and heard a kid call the show "Elmo's World" as opposed to "Sesame Street."
What's wrong with that? Maybe Elmo's World was the child's favorite part of the show?

Convincing John

Reaction score
MeepBorkMeep said:
Actually, Guy Smiley is full of calcium, and a fun, delicous anytime treat for on the go kids. He contains Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Iron, and everything kids need to grow.
ROFL!!!:big_grin:

Convincing John

Dantagon

Reaction score
Last I checked on Friday (summer vacation and it is either that, news, or commerials on tv), Cookie Monster was eating cookies. Though I remember people complaining at the senior (to be) marching band meeting about people complaining how he was now the Carrot Monster. I really hope that they don't end up changing his name, Cookie Monster is a classic.

As for Elmo's World, well, they have dvds of just that at the library, so maybe that could be part of it. That and it is practicaly half the show now a days. Gosh, can't they go back to classic SS, I hate Elmo's World. Sorry, but it is overly cute and there are to many babies and not enough muppets in it.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Something I noticed...

Okay, a lot of the talk here is about how hyped up some people are about a monster that eats cookies (and everything else in his path). Yet there is little to no mention of how parents are upset with kids imitating Baby Bear's "Elmer Fudd"-like speech or Elmo referring to himself in third person. (And these characters get more airtime than Cookie!)

And something else I noticed as well was something I found on YouTube while cruising for old SS clips. It's a real, honest to goodness SS clip (a recent one) used I believe as recently as this season. At least the Cookie Monster it cuts to is from this season (or last season).

Anyway this clip has been in circulation for quite a while and I'm surprised that it hasn't been pulled. Something caught by accident on camera, and it's rather obvious if you watch the clip a couple times. Anyway, if you like, check it out.

As a final thought...what would Frank Oz think if they tried to turn one of his most beloved and famous characters into "Veggie Monster"?

Convincing John

F

furryredmonster

I think turning cookie monster into veggie monster is absurd. Although, vegetables are pretty awesome.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Convincing John said:
Okay, a lot of the talk here is about how hyped up some people are about a monster that eats cookies (and everything else in his path). Yet there is little to no mention of how parents are upset with kids imitating Baby Bear's "Elmer Fudd"-like speech or Elmo referring to himself in third person. (And these characters get more airtime than Cookie!)

And something else I noticed as well was something I found on YouTube while cruising for old SS clips. It's a real, honest to goodness SS clip (a recent one) used I believe as recently as this season. At least the Cookie Monster it cuts to is from this season (or last season).

Anyway this clip has been in circulation for quite a while and I'm surprised that it hasn't been pulled. Something caught by accident on camera, and it's rather obvious if you watch the clip a couple times. Anyway, if you like, check it out.

As a final thought...what would Frank Oz think if they tried to turn one of his most beloved and famous characters into "Veggie Monster"?

Convincing John
Do you suppose Cookie monster has a bigger presence in general?

Convincing John

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
Do you suppose Cookie monster has a bigger presence in general?
That could be, since he's been around longer. My mother says that a lot of people complained about him when he first debuted on SS. But that's what Muppet monsters do. They eat stuff and act silly.

Still...with all the exposure that characters like Elmo and Baby Bear get, I'm surprised that more parents haven't said something about their speech. Parents do have pull on what can and can't get shown on SS. Don Music's departure from the show is an example. The "birth" of Zoe could be another example.

Another example of "characters that don't work" that sticks out in my mind is this "Mr. Noodle" guy on Elmo's World. From what I have read, this guy (and his...brother?) do something wrong about four or five times over a long segment before finally succeeding. Rewind back to 1970. The (then) Children's Television Workshop decided to drop the "Buddy and Jim" segments because (if I remember right) they had little to no educational value. Buddy and Jim (if you've never seen them) spend a long segment completely messing up the most simplest of tasks. So why is Sesame Worksop re-using the "Buddy and Jim" idea (which was dropped) as a regular in Elmo's World?

But back to Cookie...

Cookie has been around for quite a while...and earlier versions of him predate Sesame Street. Hopefully when the nostalgic Sesame DVDs come out, we'll get some classic Cookie Monster moments we can share with younger generations.

Convincing John