Lip Synching Technique

biblebetty

Reaction score
I understand what your saying but there is another reason for this practice. sometimes when you are performing you don't realize that the puppet is not making eye contact with the auditence (sorry can't spell). sometimes the puppet is look at the ceiling instead of the people. this will keep you in the habit of keeping your:smile: hand down toward the people instead of looking up.

Anita The Great

Reaction score
That's a pretty neat trick! I usually like to 'train' my hand into position (because every puppet is different) and the way I go about it (for our Swazzle shows) is to have someone 'spot' the puppet from the audience level. When the puppet is 'looking' the right way, they let me know. Once I know where my hand needs to be (the angle my finger have to have) to establish the eye focus, that's where I put my hand. For video I get a monitor! YAY! and can find my mark with that.

TherianPrime

Reaction score
wes said:
When I'm going to a gig I usually get some extra practice time in the car, as i'm traveling i like to freak people out in the cars as they go by, With my puppet on my hand. It's even better when the whole team is practicing in the van! It's cool!!
I've actually caught myself doing this sans-puppet, basically just practicing the gestures to whatever song (that I'm usually singing along to) is on the radio. Never really thought about what the other drivers were thinking when they see me doing this until now. Must look like a loon.

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
Ah, I see what you mean.

Wow, sans-puppet, Therian Prime? I'm worried enough about looking like a loon doing it with puppet. We almost got in a car crash and ended up late from it cause this lady would not let us pass, so she could watch the puppet some more and point it out to her daughter...

Kiki

Reaction score
MeepBorkMeep said:
I agree, AnitaTheGreat. I've been lip synching for about three years, and now I can do it without even thinking. In fact, I can do it to songs and voice demos I don't know, because it's become so subconscious. Definitely a big skill for puppeteers.
I agree, MBM. Mmm, yeah, I do it kinda spontaniously too. It's a good skill to learn. Wouldn't it be fun being a puppeteer? or a Muppeteer? You'd haveta be pretty good, s'pose.

I remember in primary school there was this talent quest and my friend Alf (er, that's her nickname) and i decided to do a puppet act. WELL! We hadto walk to school with these -rather big- puppets with their heads sticking out of our bags. People were looking at us like we were loons on loon-tablets. But hey, in the end, we were a hit!

wes

Reaction score
skipped CD

So get this this is what happpen today for Childrens church I was doing a song for the kids when the cd started skipping I paniced but pulled it together I lipsynced the skipped it got lots of laughs from the kids and adults, it looked like the puppet was having a spaz attach but they stop the song and we did somthing else, crazy day but thaught I share it with you!!:smile:

Don't you hate it when things go wrong, BUt i love improvising!!:smile:

Kiki

Reaction score
wes said:
So get this this is what happpen today for Childrens church I was doing a song for the kids when the cd started skipping I paniced but pulled it together I lipsynced the skipped it got lots of laughs from the kids and adults, it looked like the puppet was having a spaz attach but they stop the song and we did somthing else, crazy day but thaught I share it with you!!:smile:

Don't you hate it when things go wrong, BUt i love improvising!!:smile:
lol, classic story, wes! :wink: Nice save, too. it's good to improvise.

NeopetsVMKKelly

Reaction score
lip-synching to songs on the bus ride home from school is so much fun for me. I know some songs so well that i can just listen to them in my head, so i practice along to that. And sometimes I take a puppet made out of a sock, scrunch it up so it fits in my backpack, and i take it out on the bus, and then my friend Emily or I do the voice, and we talk to everyone on the bus (and annoy the bus driver by having it peek over the seat)

wes

Reaction score
NeopetsVMKKelly said:
lip-synching to songs on the bus ride home from school is so much fun for me. I know some songs so well that i can just listen to them in my head, so i practice along to that. And sometimes I take a puppet made out of a sock, scrunch it up so it fits in my backpack, and i take it out on the bus, and then my friend Emily or I do the voice, and we talk to everyone on the bus (and annoy the bus driver by having it peek over the seat)
Good job Keep up the good work!! Keep practiceing