1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Monday August 6 on PBS. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dismiss Notice

Little things we've noticed

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by minor muppetz, Aug 18, 2009.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Frank was certainly the most consistent, I feel, especially with Grover and Cookie. Bert was kind of hit or miss, particularly in later years.

2. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Well, to be fair, he's a straight man character compared to wild, zaney characters like Cookie Monster and Grover.

3. Froggy Fool

Froggy Fool Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would say Frank or Jim. Though Dave Goelz, for not being a puppeteer but a puppet designer earlier in life, he's pretty good.

4. D'Snowth

Thanks to Jim for recognizing Dave's potential as a performer.

Jim seemed to have the ability to recognize whether performing was someone's strength or weakness. I've heard rumors that he apparently felt John Lovelady was better suited as a coordinator/wranger/builder/whatever than a performer, and that apparently didn't sit well with John, hence why he left after Season 1 of TMS or so.

But what's interesting is that John seemed to bounce around from one puppetry project to another. . . . He was heavily involved with THE GREAT SPACE COASTER as a performer, builder, and associate producer for all but the last season or two. He also did time with Sid & Marty Krofft when they did D.C. FOLLIES.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  5. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I honestly think some of the performers got a little lazy depending on the day. Like, Richard seemed to vary the most, especially in his earlier years on the show. Sometimes his manipulation would be great, while other days, he was just straight up bad. But again, that was mostly his earlier years.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  6. Pig's Laundry

Miles and Chris never actually interacted on screen, despite being cousins and appearing in two of the same seasons.

7. LittleJerry92

Noticed a couple slip-ups from Jim in two season 1 skits.

Ernie: Hey, Bert! Come in here! Come in here, B-Bert!

And in the St Ives song:

Am boy: cause all the other people were going the wr- the other way.

8. D'Snowth

Reminds me of that Buddy and Jim bit from the first episode:

"How can a girl- bird fly without using its wings?"

9. LittleJerry92

Has anyone noticed how in the Hebrew dub for the original "Here and there" skit that will never see the light of day in English has a very faint echo in the background?

10. D'Snowth

Most of the AMs are pretty consistent in their respective colors, however, I've noticed the green AMs tend to come in more of a variety of shades of green: some are Kermit green, some are more minty green, some are lime, some even come in a more yellowish version of Kermit green.

Then again, in more recent years, the mini pink AMs can either come in their traditional shade of pink, hot pink, or magenta.

11. LittleJerry92

Well, the same can be said for the purple AM. I think it comes down to lighting.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  12. Froggy Fool

When was the last time we've seen the purple AM? I can't remember seeing in recent years.

13. LittleJerry92

I honestly don't know. It feels like the lavender puppet was meant to be its replacement to begin with.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  14. LittleJerry92

Been noticing with Marty Robinson's puppetry, he tends to really manipulate the movement with the puppet's head, kind of bopping it up and down as the character speaks.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  15. Froggy Fool

He definitely has a distinct style of puppetry, especially noticeable in Telly.

D'Snowth likes this.
  16. Pig's Laundry

I noticed with some of his characters, especially Telly, he has the puppets mouth each syllable instead of skipping some.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  17. D'Snowth

Manipulation-wise, Marty's one of the better performers in that department, but I guess he's been so used to performing a live hand character like Telly for so long that whenever he does a rod character like Old MacDonald, the hand/arm movements look kind of awkward.

But anyway, I've noticed something about Mr. Noodle: his hair and mustache have gone from black to dark brown, to light brown, to red.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  18. LittleJerry92

If you're referring to the original, then yeah, I've noticed that too.

19. D'Snowth

Yes, Mr. Noodle, not Mr. Noodle's Brother Mr. Noodle, or Mr. Noodle's Other Brother Mr. Noodle, or Mr. Noodle's Sister Miss Noodle, or Mr. Noodle's Other Sister Miss Noodle, or Mr. Noodle's Poodle Schmoodle.

ConsummateVs likes this.
  20. LittleJerry92