1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Look! "Before You Leap" is an amazing book

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Beauregard, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

I just got it today & have to say:
    SQUEEEEE!!!I LOVE IT!!!:excited:
    I just started reading it but,Mr.Lewis,you've done an incredible job "channeling the frog" Jim Henson would be so proud!:)
    Kathy
  2. BearWithMe

BearWithMe New Member

No One Told Me This Was Habit-forming

First, I'm not Mr. Lewis. Please, call me Jim. Second, any odd choices in the book (e.g. leaving out "Swamp Years" and "Muppets From Space") are purely my own, and have less to do with rational decision making and more to do with the selective memory that comes with age. Third, my shoes are swell, but enjoy you're own, too. I'd give you insight on doing what I've been doing for the last two decades, but I'm not exactly sure how it happened or what it is I do. And lastly, I hope Piggy writes a book, too. Heaven knows I'm available to type it up for her.
  3. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Jim, of course this is habit-forming! The people here are some of the nicest anywhere, and they all apreciate your work and would love to hear about it, but if you're lost as to what you've been doing for the past two decades, might I reccomend Harry Krishna? ;)

Oh, and I do enjoy my own shoes, but I'm sure yours are MUCH cooler...:p
  4. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Okay, Jim "Joe". HA!

... sorry... I like Joe the Armadillo...

(psst! Hare Krishna. It's not a person. :p )
  5. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

*Harry Krishna*.... good grief, its a running gag! :o lol
  6. Luke

Luke Active Member

So um .. Jim, what type of shoes would you recommend to wear in order to write for the Muppets? Only joking! But yes, this is habit forming.

I'd just like to say that this is such a great book, i'm glad to see they got someone who actually "knows" the Muppets to write this and you gave it the treatment it deserved. I agree that Piggy needs a book - and a restraining order. You could also possibly do "The Sex Life Of Pepe The Prawn" as a follow up but i doubt you could fit it all in one volume, or Amazon cope with all the pre-orders, and of course Britney's lawyers wouldn't be too happy either after he signed that confidentiality agreement!

Don't worry about leaving a few things out. Let's just be thankful you afforded Muppets Wizard Of Oz the same humane treatment, best to just hope people forget about that one i think. They were very lucky no angry mobs formed outside the Chaplin Studios!

Do you know anything about Americas Next Muppet? I sure wish that would be made. I wondered maybe if you were involved with the pilot scripts.
  7. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Well, dah! It's a Hare! A hair? Wait...no...got it.
  8. Fragglemuppet

Fragglemuppet Well-Known Member

Jim, let me just say that it is an extreme honor to have you posting in our community! Please don't be shy about talking to us. We promise we don't bite!
    :D

Luke, with all due respect, that is a matter of oppinion about the MWoO. I for one loved it, at least for the most part. Most importantly, it braught the first major return of Scooter, and how beautiful that was!
    Jim, we've taken this thread very much offtopic by now, (what is known as a muffin), but speaking of MWoO, I just have one question. Do you know if Scooter will be making any future appearances in TV specials, movies, Etc., and will Ricky Boyd continue to perform him?

Thanks,
    Kate
  9. Luke

Luke Active Member

Yeah you're right, it is a matter of opinion. It was meant light hearted, but i think a lot of people cite the poor performance of that movie as the main reason Disney have done very little since with the Muppets. Also i would have said VMX was the first major return of Scooter - Moulin Scrooge was an amazing set, great puppetry and was shot so beautifully!
  10. BearWithMe

BearWithMe New Member

What I Know...

...could fit into the navel of a gnat and still leave room for three caraway seeds and my agent's heart. (Fred Allen, the radio great, said that; wish I did). But it's true. The fact is, I get my best info by checking MuppetCentral. And besides, if I did tell you some deep Muppet secret, well, let's just say :eek: As for Scooter: I sure hope so and sure think so. And I'll do my best--such as it is--to make good on that hope.
  11. Fragglemuppet

Fragglemuppet Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for the speedy reply! To put it mildly, I was rather excited to see your name on the main page!
    :D
  12. Barry Lee

Barry Lee Active Member

Hey Jim (Joe er) do you come up with the book idea itself, or did MHC (or now The Muppet Studios), come to you and ask you to write the book. If you continue with a series of muppet autobios, could you suggest writing a expose' of moi, ala Miss Piggy. That would be great, and probablly sell like hot cakes. Nice to meet you!
  13. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Jim Lewis, there is one thing that Kermit mentioned in his book that I hadn't heard about before, and I think it sounds like a true fact, but then again, Kermit does make quite a few jokes in his autobiography (and there is a bit of fiction, as it applies to Kermit's reality). In the book, Kermit says that Charlie Gibson later told Kermit that when his kids were young, he had trouble explaining to them what he did for a living, and eventually, he just said that he did what kermit did on Sesame Street, and they then knew what a reporter does. Was this a true fact, or did you make it up for the book?
  14. BearWithMe

BearWithMe New Member

True story...

Indeed. That's a story Charlie Gibson told on air when Kermit visited GMA several years back. And it's the reason Kermit has come back everytime Charlie retires...again. As for the book: half-and-half. They wanted an advice book, Kermit wanted to do an autobiography. So, you get both. As for Piggy: we shall see. I understand she's holding out for a shrine.
  15. BearWithMe

BearWithMe New Member

Dear Super Scooter...

Apparently I don't have enough posts to qualify for a private reply to your private message, so here's you're answer in public: all the writers contributed to the myriad variations of that song. As for posting it, I have no authority to say anything either way about that. Come to think of it, I have no authority whatsoever, which is actually rather nice when you think of it.
  16. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Jim! It's so cool that you are posting here. Welcome to the forum! It's nice to hear from somebody who is involved with the goings-on of the muppets. :)

I finally finished your book, and I just wanted to tell you that I loved it! I've even recommended it to my mom. I think that the book really does represent Kermit's voice, and I couldn't be happier with it!

I really liked how you mentioned alot of other muppets (Sam, Floyd, Pepe, Fozzie, Piggy, Beaker, etc.) and featured conversations with the different characters. Those were some of my favourite parts of the book. The individual character's personalities really came through. I, as well as others, feel that we haven't seen enough of the muppets true personalities lately (since they keep doing movies where they play other characters like in Muppets Wizard of Oz) so I particularily enjoyed these parts.

Your book totally has the true muppet spirit and I wanted to share that with you! Thanks for writing a great book.

~ Pepper
  17. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Hehe. It's cool. Having no authority can be nice. Thank you for the response. I honestly couldn't figure out where to put it anyway, although I still have most of those numbers memorized.

I'm Piggy!
    I'm Piggy!
    We're two of a kind!
    I'm a little bit Piggy...
    And I've got a PIG behind!

You see what he did? He said PIG behind instead of BIG behind!

Knock-knock, Miss Piggy.
    Who's there, Miss Piggy?
    Miss Piggy.
    Miss Piggy, who?
    ... Eh, we haven't quite got this one figured out yet, okay.
    ---

... actually, I just watched that episode, so I guess that's not fair. ;)

BACK TO YOUR TOPIC!!!
  18. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

There is one part in the book where Kermit says that he wanted it to be more than just an autobiography that could be adapted into a movie by making part of it a self-help book (though it does focus more on self-help). But actually, after looking at the self-help part of the book, I am convinced that the Muppets need to make a self-help video or special of some sort.
  19. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

wow

Well! Ok so we know what kermit has learned, but what have you learned Jim?Are they pretty much the same lessons? I also would like to know how do you personally feel about the way the muppets are doing, not just in writing but as a whole. If you can't really answer that, i understand.
  20. BearWithMe

BearWithMe New Member

Fessin' Up

How do I personally feel about the way the Muppets are going? What have I learned? I’ve learned that despite the chaos, craziness, counterintuitive nonsense and unspecified mayhem, if you believe in the Muppets and what they’ve always been, then somehow things will work out in the end wonderfully, amazingly and unexpectedly better than you expected. Sure it’s ridiculously optimistic, but isn’t that the point? I’m not just being diplomatic here, I actually believe that. (Insert Statler & Waldorf rejoinder here.)