Master Replicas Gonzo Photo Puppet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Hey MuppetCaper, Can I just take a moment to say a quick Thanks for all your helping getting info over to us on this board. I saw some messages on the MR Forum from you last week and meant to say thanks. It really helps us out and I for one truly appreciate it :smile:

Ignohippo

Reaction score
I've been wondering since I received Animal if the foam and texture of Animal's teeth would work for Gonzo's nose. The pitted texture would seem to be perfect – I almost wonder if Animal's teeth were a test for the Gonzo nose.

The only thing that doesn't work is how hard it is, but that may be because of the paint application rather than the material itself.

ButchCat

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve been reading your comments and I figured that I would respond to them or as much as I can. Sadly I can’t 100 % tell you what Master Replicas is doing right now or why things are as they are or what their policy with communicating with you guys is. I am guessing here but I do have to point out that they are between a rock and a hard place with Gonzo’s nose. I don’t even know what they would replace the reticulated foam with that would…
A. Look exactly like reticulated foam and…
B. Still be able to get the colors right.
Keep in mind that that is not an easy thing to do and I tip my hat to them for trying.

With my copies of the posers I am building them out of the original reticulated foam that Henson and Puppet Heap used. That’s why mine look the way they do. Back when I was working as a performer on Fraggle Rock I made my own set of the Fraggle Five using the original patterns. In my early days of Fraggle Rock I had no supplier to get reticulated from and I didn’t have the money to get them with so I had to use soft foam. I had the same problem with the Antron Fleece so I ended up using what I called old fleece. Boy did they look different. Not bad, bad but not 100% there. I asked Tim Miller who was head of the Fraggle workshop at the time, “If I used Soft foam instead of Scott foam would that change the look of the puppet?” to which Tim answered “Yes because the density and pliability of the foam is different so it will change the puppet to some degree.” I’m getting carried away here, sorry. :smile:

Someone had mentioned and I can’t remember who it was that the real Gonzo’s nose changed from being kind of blue to looking like flesh color. Before Gonzo’s nose gets the bluish color it is just what ever the color of the foam is. By the way I had carved Gonzo’s head out of a reticulated foam block. His nose and jaw is then painted using a scrap peace of reticulated foam. Now the reason that Gonzo’s nose went from blue to kind of flesh is because the paint does fade and or crumbles off and you’re left with the original nose color but faded or yellowed from time. Also Gonzo’s nose and mouth is not just one color. Purple and pink is also used and put on very lightly first. How blue his nose is also depends on the person painting it too. One person may paint it on thicker than another person would. I have a feeling that I am telling way too much and I may have to kill you all and that would make for a bad day. :wink:

Something that I think I will not get into is the gap in Animal’s eyes but I will tell you about the real Animal’s mouth plate. The original Animal has no mouth plate for the bottom jaw. Frank Oz had a foam thumb loop in the foam part of the jaw and it’s just the foam that is holding the black mouth fabric. For my posers the jaw wire was attached where the thumb loop would have been. They must have changed it and gave him a lower plate for a very good reason. Maybe it just didn’t work for a poser. It’s not something that I would be upset with because from what I can see in the pictures on here it seems to look pretty good.

Well I am taking up way too much time and space here so I will end this by bringing you up to date on the Miss Piggy poser. On the first or second week of December I had submitted the budget to Master Replicas and I got a hold of Travis Allen just before Christmas and I was told that Master Replicas may commission me to make the Miss Piggy posers either the last part of January or early February. So for now I have a little bit of time to do a few other things. At this point I have no idea if Rizzo will be a go or not. That’s it for now gang.

Everyone take care, have a good New Year and play nice.

Terry Angus

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
Thanks guys....I am just as concerned as you all are. I am trying to pull teeth to get them to listen to us. I am pretty sure they are getting tired of me by now...asking so many questions. Let's all just hope for the best for this guy.

Believe me guys, I am not giving up on getting any information from MR....even if it does drive them crazy! :wink:

Telly

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch, Terry! So it sounds like we'll be getting Piggy! Keeping my fingers crossed. Personally, I'll be uber crushed if Rizzo gets shoved under the table. After Kermit, he's my favorite.

antonydavanzo

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the update Terry. I would die if MR commision you to build Scooter. I know you would do an amzing job of himand I remeber you said that you would love to see him made after Piggy.
If you do read this MR then PLEASE PLEASE give us Scooter!

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your info Terry! You are so amazingly awesome!

Oh yeah, I think somebody was asking for Terry's proto Gonzo pics, and here they are:

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/6492/gonzo1to3.jpg
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/8919/gonzo2cz7.jpg
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8559/gonzo3wy9.jpg
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/9290/gonzo4cp3.jpg
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/769/gonzo5pn3.jpg
http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/6123/gonzo6wf4.jpg

I really hope MR's final Gonzo looks closer to Terry's proto!
:concern:
Anthony

Luke

Reaction score
Terry. Can i ask why they aren't using reticulated foam for this regardless? It seems like there is no other option to get the likeness right with Gonzo. I thought reticulated foam was quite strong, and with proper care could last upto 10 years? (although i guess thats if your very lucky) Is it maybe the expense of this foam thats the problem or the time it would take to make the nose pieces? I just don't get if they bill these as being made from the original materials and designs why they don't send them out with "care instruction" sheets and do them properly seeing as the whole point is to have a "replica". As long as they're kept out of direct sunlight and direct heat i would have thought anything they are using now isn't really guaranteed to last all that much longer than if they went with foam.

Then again, i know little about puppets so if i'm wrong maybe you could put me right.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
It's truly worrying just how giddy I get when I see that Terry has posted!:crazy:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oh I am so very happy and giddy too! And now I finally have official in-depth word on the official Gonzo puppet's nose coloring. It's what I expected, but now lingering doubts in that area are forever gone.

I have a feeling that poser Gonzo's nose will look better than the prototypes, but there will still be issues. I'm just hoping for 90% or more accuracy in that category. I don't think we can really hope for much more. Nuance of materials goes a long way - especially with fans. I also think that, even at up to ten years, the lifespan of reticulated foam concerned Disney.

Wow! Miss Piggy! It'll probably be this time next year or later when we get her, but I'm stoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.