MSTies unite!

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------
Well, it was just a tour of the studio. I saw a car in the staff parking lot which must've been Kevin's, as the license plate was a personalized one that said TMSRVO or something like! Inside was more like someone's student apartment that they shared with a bunch of guys than an office. They did have an actual taping studio, where I posed in front of Deep 13 (will see if I can track down that pic), got to see the sets for that, the SOL, and some props including the exterior of the SOL and the MST title asteroid. The main "living room" was neat: beat-up couches and a big old TV where they would sit and watch the film and brainstorm their riffs, while Mary Jo or an intern would type everything the guys said so they could sort through it later, pick the best lines, and write the "script" for each episode.

It was cool. Here's some links:
http://www.mst3kinfo.com/mstfaq/bbi.html

http://www.tundraman.com/Other/BestBrains/index.php

(not mine, but a decent enough bit of info and photos!)
The Parade of Torgos during the costume contest, however, was AWESOME! Wish I could find a video of it...surely SOMEONE filmed it, although this was before the ubquitous cell phone cam...
--------------

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
You got to meet Frank and Trace? That's pretty epic! Were they anything like Forrester/Crow and T'V's Frank?

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------
Frank IS Frank. That's not an act. Oh, and seeing him dancing in a black leotard and tutu to "Frank Is the Best Frank" during the live show was EPIC! Trace is a little reticent around strangers, but he gamely enough sat there and signed autographs for everyone for hours. I don't have a pic of Kevin or Mike but they were there too, and both very charming. Trace liked my then-hubby's shirt, a neat little parody from Northern Sun with a '50s-style newsman on a tv, watched by a typical '50s family, with the caption "Experts Agree: Everything Is Fine!" and was surprised when we told him the company was based right there in Minneapolis.

-----------

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I went to Cinematic Titanic in Phillie a few years ago and got to meet the cast after the show. Trace and Mary seemed especially nice. I've also talked to Bill Corbett via his "Super-Powered Revenge Christmas" Kickstarter page, as I'm a major contributor to the project. He seems nice as well. I've been watching MST3K since I was a young lad.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------
Very cool! Yeah I'm hoping either they or Rifftrax will actually come near enough to me for me to afford to go see 'em live in person. Been too many years.

Meanwhile...I think my next selections for owning will be "Teenagers from Outer Space" (love the skeleton ray and the killer lobster in silhouette) and Rifftrax's "Transformers".

----------------------

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I wonder if Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic will ever cross over. Probably unlikely, but it would be pretty cool.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
It's nice to know that these folks are so... well, nice. And they clearly love their work and their fans.

Lola p

Reaction score
Hey, I have a question:

The rifftraxs live events... What are they rated? (like R, PG-13, etc..)

I just need to know, because my mom wot let me go to anything R rated.

:frown:

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I'm currently rewatching several episodes of MST3K. Just finished "Santa Claus", one of my favorites. It's such a goofy flick, and the guyss are cleary getting a kick out of it. I'm now watching another favorite episode, "Lost Continent". While the film itselt is kind of a snore-fest (even with its great cast), the episode is chock full of great riffs. I loved the Hugh Beaumont jokes (especially Mike Nelson's portrayal of Beaumont), and also got a big kick out of the guys making fun of that Dean Martin look-a-like. I haven't gotten through it all yet, but I can say one thing: rock climbing.