Muppet Central "I Love the 80's!"

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Yeah, I heard about that! I want to see it as well!

Anybody rememebr Weekly Reader in school? I loved those! It used to distract from academics and we could talk about something else! :smile:

http://www.weeklyreader.com/[/QUOTE

Ha! I forgot about Weekly Readers. I remember those things. Read, read, read, is what my early elementary school teachers always made us do. I guess it was because they wanted us to improve our reading skills.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I never had Weekly Readers, but my parents started me on reading when I was little and I still love reading now, even all the books that school 'forces' you to read..I have always been that annoying one in class that read ahead *lol* My comprehension is way ahead of my ability to spell though :stick_out_tongue:.

When I was in grade school I read all the Serendipity book series, my favorites were Flutterby and Butterwings, but they all are great :smile:! And the poem collections like Where The Sidewalk Ends :smile:.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Read, read, read, is what my early elementary school teachers always made us do. I guess it was because they wanted us to improve our reading skills.
And every time I watched Reading Rainbow, I always recognized a book our school often told us to read or had already read to us (ex: The Titanic book mentioned in the episode when Lavar was talking about boats).

Drtooth

Reaction score
you know... I used to love to read as a kid, but ever since about 5th grade through high school (and most of college) I HATE HATE HATED to read, since they forced us to read books of their choosing. And few of them were even good. And even then, we had to remember every single thorough detail about the smallest things and get tested on them. I haven't been able to read a novel since.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
*shrugs* It depends on the person, I guess, because I loved reading for that reason (i.e. to be able to tell people I know something).

Drtooth

Reaction score
*shrugs* It depends on the person, I guess, because I loved reading for that reason (i.e. to be able to tell people I know something).
Hey, I would have loved to read if they didn't quiz us all the time. I like to read at leasure. I like to get the over all thesis of a story, and not have to care about what color coffee mug a background character had in one scene. Spotting stuff like that is only fun in a TV show, because you're looking right at it.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Me personally, I like to read for the imagination factor. As good as TV can be, it basically tells things for you, whereas reading forces one to use one's imagination.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I love small details and picking them out along with symbolism and theme...but then, I am a English major :stick_out_tongue:. It's funny the harder reading was for me to start with the more and more I wanted to get better at it and show all the mean special ed teachers I had in grade school who just called me lazy (I was mainstreamed). Reading has been my best friends ever since :excited:...

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
you know... I used to love to read as a kid, but ever since about 5th grade through high school (and most of college) I HATE HATE HATED to read, since they forced us to read books of their choosing. And few of them were even good. And even then, we had to remember every single thorough detail about the smallest things and get tested on them. I haven't been able to read a novel since.
I had to read, reread, and highlight just about everything in all the books I had in college. Although I found out most of the information the professors were lecturing came from the book we had to buy, for like 100 bucks, if not more.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
and show all the mean special ed teachers I had in grade school who just called me lazy (I was mainstreamed)
People...*shakes head* And here you are writing great stories based upon your fond childhood memories! XD

But onto more of the 80's...Disney had people-in-suit versions of two of its hit film franchises--Dumbo & Pooh--in the 80's in the forms of Dumbo's Circus & Welcome to Pooh Corner.