Muppet DVD Problems/Mistakes

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I have heard about problems with some of the muppet DVDs, edited and cut from originals etc. I thought it might me a good idea to start a thread with all the problems with any muppet or henson DVD, I know a few already! I hope there isnt already a thread like this but if you know of any problems with any muppet DVD, please post it here.

What DVDs have bits cut out of them?

Thanks,
from Paul :smile:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Ive noticed a few minor problems with my region 1 DVD of "The Muppet Movie"

They are only very minor but I wondered if anyone else has noticed these, thats why I started this thread.

1. With the English subtitles switched on and at the start of the movie where Lew Zealand asks kermit if he and his boomerang fish can be in the movie. Kermit replies and says I have told you before Lew, no (or something like that) well the subtitles Say Luke instead of Lew! I thought that is a strange mistake to make. I guess the people who write the subtitles arent muppet fans. :smile:

2. I have also noticed these very minor things, it could also be my eyes but in 2 parts of the movie, 1 at the end where crazy harry pulls the lever and makes the big explosion causing the roof to implode and another in the Can you picture that segment.
if you look closely at the roof as it implodes it looks as if a few frames of the film have skipped during the transfer process or something. As I said it could just be me. Has anyone else noticed this?

the same thing happens in the can you picture that segment when dr teeth is sitting at his piano, I can notice a slight movement as if the camera was stopped for a split second then started again. Its weird but it could just be my eyes, lol.

Has anyone else noticed these minor things?

Thanks,

rexcrk

Reaction score
I like this thread, I don't have any Muppet DVDs yet, so I can't participate. I'd like to know other things wrong with them, so I can make a good decision.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
rexcrk said:
I like this thread, I don't have any Muppet DVDs yet, so I can't participate. I'd like to know other things wrong with them, so I can make a good decision.
Same here, I only have 3 muppet DVDs at the moment but I want to know more about all the Muppet/henson DVDs, Id like to have all of them anyway eventually even if there is some major problem with them. :smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
Well the MFC has quite alot of sence missing. They cut the song the the Snowman and Fozzie do and the MuppetBabies filim they show is also cut out. I don't know if theres any others but thats one of the DvDs thats wrong.

anathema

Reaction score
Ok, this is what I've seen to date:

Time-Life "Muppet Show" (US, NTSC, Region 1): all shows have had the closing shot of Zoot replaced; all Season 1 shows have the later multiple-archway titles. This isn't something that could be "fixed" - it's the only way the episodes are officially available these days. Picture quality is Ok for NTSC discs.

"Muppet Show" (France, PAL, Region 2): all shows are missing the UK skits and have the closing shot of Zoot replaced. Soundtracks are of course in French; however, the Season 1 shows retain their original opening titles :smile: Picture quality is so-so.

"The Best of The Muppet Show" (UK, PAL, Region 2): two discs, each with two episodes, a 50-minute clips compilation and various other extras. Picture quality is generally good, although the episodes look a little soft compared to the clips. Again, the shows have their closing shots replaced. No Season 1 shows have been released as yet.

"Muppet Family Christmas" (US, NTSC, Region 1): badly edited - see the FAQ on this site for full details of the cuts.

"Muppet Family Christmas" (France, PAL, Region 2): the same as the US release, but converted to PAL. Badly. Do not buy this disc, it's unwatchable :-(

"Emmet Otter's Jug-band Christmas" (US, NTSC, Region 1): slightly re-edited from the original broadcast - again, see the FAQ for details.

"Emmet Otter's Jug-band Christmas" (France, PAL, Region 2): same as the US one, and again, an appalling PAL conversion. Do not buy!

"The Muppet Movie" (US, NTSC, Region 1): anamorphic widescreen.

"The Great Muppet Caper" (US, NTSC, Region 1): anamorphic widescreen.

"The Muppets Take Manhattan" (UK, PAL, Region 2): anamorphic widescreen. The soundtrack appears to be mono, which is odd since I'm pretty sure that a) the film was made with a stereo soundtrack, and b) my copy of the VHS release is stereo...

"The Muppet Christmas Carol" (US, NTSC, Region 1): pan/scan release, which is a shame.

"The Muppet Christmas Carol" (UK, PAL, Region 2): also a pan/scan release, and somewhat cut: Scrooge and Belle's duet of "When Love Is Gone" is missing. This is apparently the theatrical cut of the film, so it's more likely a case of Disney grabbing the wrong copy than a deliberate edit. Stick to the VHS release - at least it's complete :smile:

"Muppet Treasure Island" (US, NTSC, Regsion 1): once again, pan/scan :-(

"Muppet Treasure Island" (UK, PAL, Region 2): finally, an anamorphic widescreen release! Yay! Sadly, it's been slightly edited for language (to the tune of 2-3 seconds, so nothing serious), but I gather that this was the version passed for cinema release anyway. Whether the uncut version would now get past the BBFC is anyone's guess, but it's a pity that Disney didn't at least try...

"Muppets From Space" (UK, PAL, Region 2): anamorphic widescreen. Nuff said :smile:

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
anathema said:
Ok, this is what I've seen to date:

"The Muppets Take Manhattan" (UK, PAL, Region 2): anamorphic widescreen. The soundtrack appears to be mono, which is odd since I'm pretty sure that a) the film was made with a stereo soundtrack, and b) my copy of the VHS release is stereo...
You know your dvd's :wink: . One scene has been edited. It's the one with The Muppets are at "Mr Price's office". Animal's line are mute after "Mr. Price" threatens everyone with a chicken. His line are mute through out till the police arrests "Mr. Price"

Ryan

Reaction score
drspy00 said:
I have heard about problems with some of the muppet DVDs, edited and cut from originals etc. I thought it might me a good idea to start a thread with all the problems with any muppet or henson DVD, I know a few already! I hope there isnt already a thread like this but if you know of any problems with any muppet DVD, please post it here.

What DVDs have bits cut out of them?

Thanks,
During "Moving Right Along" (one of the best Muppet songs ever, IMO) there is another mistake. When Fozzie turns "left at the fork in the road" the subtitle says he's saying "Turn Left!", when in fact he is saying "Kermiiit!""

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
Ryan said:
During "Moving Right Along" (one of the best Muppet songs ever, IMO) there is another mistake. When Fozzie turns "left at the fork in the road" the subtitle says he's saying "Turn Left!", when in fact he is saying "Kermiiit!""
I think subtitles are allways never accurate to the dialogue. Usually they are made easier reading for the hard of hearing (I guess, that would explain why subtiles is not allways exactly to the words been sponken)

anathema

Reaction score
MuppetDanny said:
You know your dvd's :wink: . One scene has been edited. It's the one with The Muppets are at "Mr Price's office". Animal's line are mute after "Mr. Price" threatens everyone with a chicken. His line are mute through out till the police arrests "Mr. Price"
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that one :-( I remember thinking it was weird when I watched the DVD - having watched my VHS a few weeks earlier - and going back to check. That tends to suggest that there's at least two different mixes of the sound and that Columbia got the wrong one here. Anyone know what the US disc has?