Muppet DVD Problems/Mistakes

anathema

Reaction score
muppet_dk said:
I can understand why you are so mad about it. I feel the same about it.
But some times, for legal reasons, theres just no way around it, if there should be a realease. A good example of that are "Muppet family christmas". It's better to get a cut release than no realease at all.

But all the other edits were there don't seem to be any legal reasons for it, the mute in Muppets Take Manhattan, are utterly pointless and it should be a criminal offence to do that :rolleyes:
Half the time it's because the company concerned doesn't know/doesn't care/doesn't want to spend the extra money.

For example, the Indiana Jones trilogy is finally getting its DVD release in the UK this autumn, and I happily pre-ordered my copy. Then something came up on one of the DVD review/news sites I read: at present, it appears that Paramount are proposing to release the same edit of "Temple of Doom" that was previously released on VHS. Problem is, this edit had to be cut in order to get a 'PG' rating. Now, all this happened about a decade ago, and the BBFC rules have relaxed somewhat since then - it's quite possible that the film would now go through uncut at 'PG'. However, so far as I know, Paramount aren't going to submit the uncut film - this despite the fact that they're apparently submitting the cut one, so they're paying for the review no matter what. This suggests that they a) don't care, or b) can't be bothered to get an uncut copy. I, in turn, don't care enough to spend my money on this, and have cancelled my order.

For what it's worth, I think the biggest "mistake" is that the first two Muppet movies aren't available to buy on DVD in the UK ;-) I can't imagine what's causing the hold-up - it's shouldn't be that Columbia don't have the rights, since they regularly re-release them on VHS...

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
The Kermit and Animal scenes were edited on VHS due to the sexual overtones one could remotely interpret by hearing them. It is a pretty big reach, but something Columbia likely wanted to do. Thankfully though, they were returned to original form for the DVD release.
That seems so silly, the muppets are the most harmless bunch of characters possible in my mind. What could be more harmless than them. Nothing is bad enough to have to cut out of the movies, look at some of the films around these days.

Whats the world coming to. It is great they fixed the problem for the DVD release though. :smile:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
anathema said:
Half the time it's because the company concerned doesn't know/doesn't care/doesn't want to spend the extra money.

For what it's worth, I think the biggest "mistake" is that the first two Muppet movies aren't available to buy on DVD in the UK ;-) I can't imagine what's causing the hold-up - it's shouldn't be that Columbia don't have the rights, since they regularly re-release them on VHS...
Thats exactly the same mistake they have made here in Australia. Time Life has also done this, they release the VHS of the muppet show and have just started advertising on tv again but they won't bring them out on DVD, they won't even import the US DVDs. I find Time Life very stubborn to deal with, I think it could have something to do with the rights are only valid for VHS. We all want the DVDs here. :smile:

anathema

Reaction score
drspy00 said:
Thats exactly the same mistake they have made here in Australia. Time Life has also done this, they release the VHS of the muppet show and have just started advertising on tv again but they won't bring them out on DVD, they won't even import the US DVDs. I find Time Life very stubborn to deal with, I think it could have something to do with the rights are only valid for VHS. We all want the DVDs here. :smile:
We have four (I think) Time-Life tapes out over here. Last I looked, all bar one of the episodes was available in the big HMV boxset, so there's not much incentive to buy the expensive Time-Life offerings. There's no DVDs from them as yet.

I also have strong suspicions that their tapes may be standards-conversions, in which case I wouldn't touch them with a 30-foot pole.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
anathema said:
We have four (I think) Time-Life tapes out over here. Last I looked, all bar one of the episodes was available in the big HMV boxset, so there's not much incentive to buy the expensive Time-Life offerings. There's no DVDs from them as yet.
Timelife have removed the 4 VHS tapes from their site.
And the can't/won't say anything about the DVD's. Last time I mailed them they just told me to check their site from time to time to see if they have arrived.

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
anathema said:

I also have strong suspicions that their tapes may be standards-conversions, in which case I wouldn't touch them with a 30-foot pole.
Oddly enough the bbfc did give more voulmes including the Carol Burnett & Gilda Radner episodes a certificate but never seen the videos here :confused:

BEST OF THE MUPPET SHOW VOLUME 7
BEST OF THE MUPPET SHOW VOLUME 6
BEST OF THE MUPPET SHOW VOLUME 5

Ryan

Reaction score
drspy00 said:
That seems so silly, the muppets are the most harmless bunch of characters possible in my mind. What could be more harmless than them.
I dunno if I'd say that..they've done some pretty raunchy stuff. :wink:

rexcrk

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
The Kermit and Animal scenes were edited on VHS due to the sexual overtones one could remotely interpret by hearing them. It is a pretty big reach, but something Columbia likely wanted to do. Thankfully though, they were returned to original form for the DVD release.
What is the Kermit stuff? I know I'll know it when someone tells me ( :stick_out_tongue: )

ZootandDingo

Reaction score
Well folks, we can add a new addition to the list of DVD differences. "Rocky Mountain Holiday" is edited...the scene with John teaching Rowlf to fly is gone.

:cool:

anathema

Reaction score
ZootandDingo said:
Well folks, we can add a new addition to the list of DVD differences. "Rocky Mountain Holiday" is edited...the scene with John teaching Rowlf to fly is gone.

:cool:
Oh dear...

Is this likely to be a music rights issue?