Muppet Family Christmas: Official Talkback Forum

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Wow... I was just watching the Sesame Gang medley and for the first time I realized what Big Bird actually says at the end of it. When they're all done singing, BB says, "That was fun! I love carols [aka Carrolls! HA HA HA!]"

I'd never noticed that and thought it was purely hilarious!

yaytime

Reaction score
I think its interesting that Elmo is in it...but just in the background. had they produced the special a few years later Elmo would have at least had one song if not several :wink:

But yeah I've watched the DVD twice this week and have to agree what an awesome special this was.

I really hope they release an unedited version someday and would happily pay/trade someone for a dub.

rexcrk

Reaction score
yaytime said:
I think its interesting that Elmo is in it...but just in the background. had they produced the special a few years later Elmo would have at least had one song if not several :wink:
Yeah, I don't mind Elmo when he's like a background character, or has a few lines, but nowadays they just over do him!

P

Philo and Gunge

aric said:
Does anybody have the unedited version of Muppet Family Christmas on tape?

email me @ aric@arichenderson.com
I do. I made it with my copy from the Hallmark Channel last year, the Buena Vista video and the Muppet Christmas site with my camcorder.

superboober

Reaction score
I agree with whoever mentioned it earlier in this thread that it's surprising that Telly doesn't seem to be present for the festivities, especially given that by this point he was well on his way to becoming a major character. Perhaps he was too worried by reports of the snowstorm and decided he'd rather stay back on Sesame Street than risk going out and getting stranded (probably he stayed at Bob's given how much he worships him).

Other than that, though, I consider this as perfect as the Muppets can ever get. They always did the holidays better than anyone--and more consistantly that Rankin-Bass when one thinks about their long-term track record after Rudolph and Frosty--and looking back this is their ultimate holiday effort. All I would have changed with the finished version would have been a few more shots of the Fraggles singing along with the others; other than that, it's absolutely perfect. I can still remember that strong wave of excitement sweeping over me when I plopped in front of the TV in December 1987, and within a minute or so realized that this was something special, a once in a lifetime television experience (one of the things that will stay with me forever will be my mother shrieking with exaggerated excitement, "IIIIIIITT'S RREEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDD!!!!!" when Kermit bumped into her). :smile: :excited: Seeing them all together in one place was something I think we all wanted to see at one point or another, so Jerry Juhl deserves great credit for being able to accurately gauge his audience, which few entertainment types seem to want to care to do today. If they can somehow overcome the copyrighting differences, someone should try something in the same spirit as this sometime down the road.

wiley207

Reaction score
Well, it's Christmastime again! Let's begin our discussion about this timely classic, as an annual sort of thing maybe. BTW, I started this thread anyways.

I am SO glad I still have my Nickelodeon copy of the film from 1994, though I will probably never get to see Fozzie's stocking or the lighting-the-tree sequence.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Seriously this is my favorite muppet special. This special and Muppets Go To Walt Disney World are the most muppety specials ever! I love everything about it, from Swedish Chef & Big Bird singing "Jack Frost" (so sweet), to Miss Piggy's very own mink (I always wondered what happened to that mink) to Fraggles passing it on to Robin and passing the pebble onto Grover (aww) to the end with Jim Henson and Sprocket (PERFECT ending) I seriously love this special.

Also love the Janice, Animal and Cookie Monster bit...

Animal: Thats My Kinda Fella! *sigh* (I couldn't resist)

maniacal muppet

Reaction score
Barry Lee said:
Seriously this is my favorite muppet special. This special and Muppets Go To Walt Disney World are the most muppety specials ever! I love everything about it, from Swedish Chef & Big Bird singing "Jack Frost" (so sweet), to Miss Piggy's very own mink (I always wondered what happened to that mink) to Fraggles passing it on to Robin and passing the pebble onto Grover (aww) to the end with Jim Henson and Sprocket (PERFECT ending) I seriously love this special.

Also love the Janice, Animal and Cookie Monster bit...

Animal: Thats My Kinda Fella! *sigh* (I couldn't resist)
Ditto, completely.

maniacal muppet

Reaction score
Whatever said:
I want to KILL my family because they LOST my unedited edition of it. So I am getting an edited DVD for Christmas, sigh. It was hard to be too mad, though, watching my mother go through ALL of the tapes in the house. But I love it so much... even the Osh Kosh B'gosh commercials! sigh.
There is a version that was released on dvd that did have the whole Muppet Babies scene, Fozzie singing with the snowman, Miss Piggy singing Home For The Holidays and some extra verses in the Caroling Medoly. As a special bonus, the Christmas toy comes on the same dvd with the commercial that came before it that featured Rugby The Tiger and some other characters. You can probably find this dvd on Ebay (like I did) for about $10- $20. This dvd doesn't have a main menu and the box looks unprofessional.Hope this helps.:smile: