Muppet Film and TV References

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's some more obscure ones.

On an episode of Bill and Ted's Excellent adventures (an old cartoon show), There's this episode in which a "Mister Rogers" like show is cancelled for not being "hip" enough, and the Mr Rogers like guy gets to play a frog on a new show called "Froggame Street," later in that seen, the Mr. Rogers like guy is gone, they see a cookie monster like character, and Ted says, "Do you think he ate him?"

On a recent episode of CYberchase, The Hacker yells at the hero kids, calling them "Miserable Muppets." (In case you want to know, Brian Meehl wrote a couple episodes of this PBS series).

And (another Cosby) on one episode when Rudy can't wear her favorite dress, they play Frank Sinatra's version of "It's not that Easy, Bein' Green!"

the_great_gonzo

Reaction score
I just found one from Freaks & Geeks. (excellent show but stupid NBC cancelled it. aaarrgghh!)

Anyway, Bill is over at Cindy's house to work on a school project. While she is getting a snack, Bill is looking at a book called MISS PIGGY'S GUIDE TO LIFE. She comes back in and he brings up Welcome Back Kotter. She says she doesn't watch much TV, except for the muppet show.

Later in the episode, Bill is talking to Sam and Neil.

BILL:She's weird. She eats carrot sticks and likes Miss Piggy.
SAM:So, Miss Piggy is funny.
NEIL:Are you kidding, Miss Piggy's lame. The Swedish Chef is hilarious.

manoftheSTREET

Reaction score
In "Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back", Chris Rock plays Chaka, the director of the movie-within-a-movie. At one point, he becomes fed up with the idea that a black man can't direct, and he said he came up with the original idea for "Sesame Street". The title can't be repeated on this board, but it's very funny.

In "Lethal Weapon", Mel Gibson and Danny Glover as Riggs and Murtaugh (they would play their "Weapon" characters on "Sesame Street" 5 years later), question a kid for information on the friend of the young hooker who died at the beginning of the movie. Riggs thinks the idea is stupid, and goes into a rant about the kid's mode of thinking, saying "Yeah, police, there's a 6 foot tall yellow bird on the loose".

Sincerely,

John "manoftheSTREET" Kilduff

Drtooth

Reaction score
I used to have this quote as my signature, but on the last episode of the Family Guy (aired, one never aired), Brian and Peter are watching sesame Street, when the Count counts bats.

Peter: I-Is the count a vampire?

Brian: Come again?

Peter: He has those fangs. Did they ever show him doing someone in, and sucking their blood?

Brian: Y-you're asking me if they ever made an episode of Sesame Street where the Count kills someone and feasts on them for sustanace? No, they haven't done that!

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Mystery Science Theater 3000 is chock full of Muppet referances. When I complete my MST collection I'm going to be compiling them all for the Info Club's "Ward E" :big_grin:

-Matt

the_great_gonzo

Reaction score
Found a reference on the show Undeclared (another great show that FOX cancelled. This guy who does impressions gets mad and he says in a pretty good Kermit voice:

"This is Kermit the Frog and today's letter is S for shallow."

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
you can't forget Cheech & Chong's SESIMILLA STREET -
KERMIT: You just called me Krimit didn't you.
BIG BIRD: Yes I did hahaha.
KERMIT: hahaha...Krimit The Frog! ---

These ones are from Mad TV. ---
Mark Curry was guest starring and before the show, he did a rap song called "Hardcore", which isn't very hardcore at all, he says stuff like "goin to the liquor store to by a jug of milk" and when the music stops he says "Yo! Representin' Sesame Street, OG Big Bird, Snuffleupagus!"

Another one from Mad was when this couple just moved in (david herman and nicole sullivan) David played a guy named Bert, i forgot Nicole's character though (i don't even know if it was Nicole) anyways, i guy knocks on the door and it's their new neighbor (Artie Lange). He introduces himself and then the couple introduce themselves and he says "Hey, kind of like Bert & Ernie from Sesame Street" and Bert says "Yeah, only it's Bert and ____". He says "Yeah." then he asks if he can come in, then he tells them about how he's on parole for sexual harassment or something because "It's required by the law". funny sketch...

Here's another Simpsons one (it's been a long time since i've seen it though) - Homer is watching this show on PBS. (you hear "You're watching PBS!") then Bart walks in and says "YOU'RE watching PBS???" It was a show about a poor, serial killer family, i think. Then Bart gets into it, and then it gets interupted by one of those annoying PBS things where you donate money and Homer calls in and says that he'll donate a thousand dollars. Later on, all the pbs guys start chasing him on the street, including Barney, Mr. Rogers, the Teletubbies shooting laser beams from there antennas, Yo Yo Ma throwing his cello stick as a weapon, and then a trash can shows and Oscar and Elmo pop out and Elmo says "Elmo knows where you live!". it's a horrible drawing of them though.

Another one was on Greg The Bunny when Greg got in touch with his inner puppet. (he wore weird clothes and talked in a weird language, kinda like the two headed monster from ss). The producer of his kids show said "This is the Fozzie Bear veredict all over again."

Speaking of bunnies, there's a show called Unhappily Ever After you've probably never seen (it's not very popular). It's just like Married With Children only the SON is the stupid one and the DAUGHTER is the smart virgin and when the dad has no one to talk to, he goes down stairs and talks to his little stuffed bunny named Mr. Floppy. On one episode, Mr. Floppy says "Do you see alot of ME at the toy store? Noo, people prefer the neutered boy, Elmo!" (he either said neuterd or nuder, i'm not sure).

This one's from Growing Pains - (yeah, hahaha, laugh at me if you want. i used watch it, now it think that show SUCKS!) - anyways, it was an episode when Ben had backstage passes to a concert and after he meets his favorite rock star he leaves, finds out he forgot his camera, goes and gets it, sees the rock star making out and says "Hey! That's not your wife!" (he was 10 or 12, a teenager wouldn't care) then the rock star starts being mean to him. at home, he rips his poster of the wall and throws it out then when his dad talks to him he soon says "Remember when you found out Kermit wasn't a real frog? You ended up watching Sesame Street again." and ben says "Well, it's a good show".

Here's another confession of a show i used to watch, the Torkelsons (you guys probably havent seen, it was on the disney channel). On one episode, i just remember the youngest daughter has a stuffed Elmo and in one part, they show it as the real Elmo and she's talks to it and stuff.

On Cartoon Planet (with Space Ghost, Zorak, and Brak), they did a remake of "Manha Manha" only they sung it differently. Instead of Brak singing it like "Manhamanha", he screamed it in his hilarious voice like "man-HA-man-HA" then instead of Space Ghost going "Pet-tee-pet-teepee" he sings "Do do do do do"

On one episode VH1's Rock Show it was hosted by Jason Newsted (ex-Metallica bassist) and he was talking about his new band Echobrain. he said "It's more of a mellow rock, no blaring guitars or Cookie Monster vocals." They showed an Echobrain video and they're pretty cool.

now this one's NOT from tv, it's from a movie, the Little Rascals. - Alphapha and Spanky were in a fight and later it showed them both sitting on their porches and it shows that black kid talking to them (it shows him talking to Alphapha, then when he finishes that sentance it shows him talking to Spanky) he says "You were like Ernie & Bert, Superman & Clark Kent" (the superman thing i don't understand cause superman and clark kent were the same people)

On the Wayans Bros. once, Shawn meets a girl whom is a psychietrest. He tells Marlon about her and says that she's a psychietrist.
MARLON: She can throw her voice?
SHAWN: Not a ventriloquist, a psychietrist. She helps people out with their problems.
MARLON: Oh, like Sigmund Freud, the 18th Century founder of psychotherapy.
SHAWN: Wow, I'm impressed! I guess 8 years of Sesame Street really paid off!

that's all i can think of. i'm suprised no one mentioned any of the refrences to Yoda. i know there's some, but i can't think of any.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's a really weird one...

I found an old tape from 1990, I think. On it I taped a Charlie Brown special about a little girl with cancer, the first run of the Monin' Lisa Simpsons episode, and this Ducktales valentines special.

The whole thing is hosted by Ludwig von Drake. This is not an exact quote, and I think this is around the start of the Henson/Disney partnership.

Ludwig VonDrake: A lot of people have talked to me about romance. Little Mermaid, Roger Rabbit, Kermit, Ludwig von Drake....LUDWIG VON DRAKE?!?!?!?

I'm pretty sure that Kermit means Kermit the frog. I don't know any other famouse Kermit, except Kermit Love.

crazy ernie

Reaction score
Kermit Love was a muppet builder.He also was a hot dog vendor on sesame street