1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Muppet Mockumentary Pilot Filmed

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Beauregard, Jan 12, 2007.

1. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

I really dont know if another variety type show is what the Muppets need.

2. Marky

Marky Member

What I think the Muppets need, and this may just be a shot in the dark - is some sort of high-profile visual representation involing puppeteers that the general public can 'see'.

(sarcasm... drippity drip)!

3. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour Active Member

or *Gasp* just bring back the old muppet show .....

4. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

Someone once brought up an idea I really liked... instead of a new variety show, a sitcom set in the Muppets' house in Muppets From Space. It would be, essentially, the Muppets just kinda doing... stuff. They could all have different careers going on, and, uh, yeah. I dunno.

5. Marky

Marky Member

I'm w/ the Jim Henson Hour.
    Here's where Marky gets all furry...

Bring back The Muppet SHOW.

It's what people identify with the most, it'd be the easiest thing to pitch, and it would BY FAR generate the biggest buzz. The whole SHOW aspect of the show works so well because it's TIMELESS. The Jim Henson Hour wasn't as timeless, and Muppets Tonight wasn't either. Both of those shows, as good as they were for many reasons, are not remembered now by the general public. Why? They weren't the Muppet Show.

They messed up the formula. The variety show, the theatre, the guests - the show had such a great flow it seemed to write itself (which is ironic because of the geniusly frantic writing styles). The songs, the explosions, the canned laughter, the manic feel - THAT is what people want from the Muppets.

"Oh, but they HAVE to do something fresh and new!"

To which I say...
    a) No, they don't.
    b) Gee folks, maybe bringing something back after so long - faithfully - IS fresh and new!

Not guest spots on Martha Stewart.
    Not some Direct-to-DVD 'movie'.
    Not some trendy (see DATED) forgettable stab at conventional TV lampooning.
    Not the "New Style, Humor for the New Millennium Clifforized" Muppet SHow.

People want the Muppet Show Back.
    For the general Public, The Muppet Show = The Muppets.
    Not us, the muppetcentral forum dwellers who own a pile of DVDs, nor the extreme collector who keeps stats on which puppet appeared here, when or where... the general public.

Why, apart from some good movies, has any attempt to bring them back fizzled? Because it wasn't THE MUPPET SHOW!

I remember reading, way back, when that German company owned them - there was a newspaper article say that they were going to do just that... bring back the Muppet Show as if the time between 1981 and (I think) 2001 was just a hiatus. BRILLIANT! I cheered!

Every single person I told (and I told EVERYONE I knew!) was excited about the thought of The Muppet Show coming back.

"Right On!"
    "It's about time!"
    "Good, cuz that last show with that dreadlocked thing sucked!"
    "Awesome!"

So, call me opinionated - I am. And it's my opinion that the only thing they should bother doing at this point is to BRING BACK THE MUPPET SHOW!

:D

6. TheJimHensonHour

Thanks! & Exactly why change something when it's always been fine the way it is! The only thing new would be the guest stars. It obviously isn't hard to build a set just like the old one look @ the weezer video.

7. Marky

Marky Member

Ex-ACT-ly. Or... watch It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. The best part of that was the fact that they were IN THE MUPPET THEATRE.

We don't need anymore movies. We've got enough. Bring back

THE

MUPPET

SHOW!

PLEASE!

8. crazed gonzo fa

crazed gonzo fa Active Member

Well put Marky!

9. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

I respectfully agree - and disagree. I'd love to see a new television show in the vein of The Muppet Show. We all would. However, Jim always tried to do new things, not rehash what he'd done before. Muppets Tonight was a fantastic way of bringing the same format of The Muppet Show to audiences new and old alike.

10. emberfire

emberfire New Member

your right....but i think you could continue to experiment with puppetry though a show like the Muppet Show....

same format....same style of writing....different guests....while continueing to experiment with puppetry. :)

11. Marky

Marky Member

Good points. But Jim wasn't around for Muppets Tonight, and let's face it - it wasn't the Muppet Show.

Plus... I think it's possible to 'avoid re-hashing' too far. With the Muppets, since JH passed away, 'new' has always meant 'dated and akward'.

I understand the thought of progressing something, but you know what? With what the Muppets are to so many - I think the best 'progression' for them IS to bring back the MS in it's full retrolicuous* format.

Nothing else in my opion would be more successful for the franchise.

* I just made that word up!
    :D

12. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

That does make sence and I love the new word

13. Marky

Marky Member

Thanks Uncle Matt!

14. crazed gonzo fa

crazed gonzo fa Active Member

You have some good points, and I like your word too.

15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

so this ended up a big no too, eh? How many Minimovies will they make before they don't actually try hard and pull the plug all too soon? I'm guessing three.

Disney keeps writing up new shiney wonderful things for the Muppets and tosses them aside to make room for the DVD rerelease of "High School Musical Remix super special gold colored lettering cover edition 2 the soundtrack the concert on ice."

A lot of people have been mad that I've been bashing Disney lately. other than finally releasing TMS season 2 what have they done for us? Slap a couple characters on a T-shirt? There hasn't been a project since they rushed through Muppet Oz to be the first project they'd get credit for when they bought them from the Henson kids. And no one liked it since, well, it was ruched through. They threw together an incomprehensible script and didn't change it. I know it was in the works before the deal, but Disney had a say in making it suck.

These minimovies will suck. Trust me. They're pretty much going to play second to Disney's tween com zombie cast. At best, they're just going to be an advert for Disney. And there's nothing the fan base can do about it, because dispite the fact that WE are the ones that buy the sets, We are the ones that will watch, we are NOT their target audience of screaming idiot teenybopper girls.

16. Marky

Marky Member

Hats off to you bud!

And to dr. tooth - do you agree with my "Re-Launching The Muppet Show Would Be their Best Option" opinion too?

17. TheJimHensonHour

your I don't think your the only one pitching that man ;)

18. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Would be the best, but not feasable. not so much that people won't get into a vaudeville style setting, but the networks don't think people would get into it.

Very underestimative business, entertainment.

It would be the best way to do it. I mean, they've been trying to come up with a show since 2002 and all, why not just do what they already did with minimal changes?

19. SurfPark

SurfPark New Member

Can we just accept that the Muppets are done with on TV?

20. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member