1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Muppet Mockumentary Pilot Filmed

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Beauregard, Jan 12, 2007.

1. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

All we have been getting is poorly conceived projects.

2. Marky

Marky Member

... which don't happen.

Sorry, I don't buy the 'no win' situation at all.
    Make something decent with them, Disney.

How hard can that be? Seriously.

No, I think they've been shelved.

3. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

I think they have been shelved as well. Not that I think they have no chance. I just wish they would realize the potential.

4. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

How hard can it be? Really hard.

I don't think most people here realise quite how difficult it is to get a tv show or film from the initial concept through to broadcast, in many cases it taking years for an original concept to get on the air, which is arguably an easier prospect than an established brand that has decades of preconceptions, expectations and brand identity that it needs to live up to.

Your description of the sort of show that should be made - "something decent" - is a great example of how difficult Disney has it. What you think is "decent" might not, is probably not, shared by the greater viewing public. Listen to most people on this site and the only "decent" option would be to somehow capture the unique social, cultural and political environment of when the Muppet show first aired, ensure that it was applied to society at large and then remake the show with no consideration to the changes in expectations of a viewing public. And even if that is not what you, personally, would like, listen to the completely generic nature of what you're asking "something decent". This doesn't give any production company any real guide about what they should be producing. Even if they were to get a precise description agreed to by everyone on here (hardly possible), it's hardly helpful to go to a hardcore fan site to get it. The number of people on here is hardly enough to keep a program on the air. By all means, consult with the hardcore fans, but they can't be the ones to dictate to a company what they should be producing. Disney has a responsibility to its shareholders to produce entertainment that has the greatest potential to earn returns.

Please don't think that I am defending Disney as the victim here. Having worked for them under a strict contract that sees no residuals payment for the work that I have done I know that they are not exactly the best friends of artists, but they are also not deserving of scathing remarks that they are shelving the Muppets out of lack of interest (else why would they have bought them?) or some sort of spite ("if we own them, then we can stop everyone else from making the fantastic Muppet productions that millions are clammering to see"), rather they are trying to find a way to make them a profitable venture. Thanks to years of mismanagement from Henson and EM.TV, Disney have inherited a property that had virtually no exposure to audiences in recent years, is stuck in the past and has not grown with its audiences, nor built new ones.

5. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I agree with Bear Man; I do think it's premature to dismiss Disney. They have been given a product that was already having problems. Eventually something will work, but it may take a long time. Disney took years to build itself back up after Walt's death. And look how long it took for Jim Henson to finally get The Muppet Show on the air. :)

I don't think the Muppets should have to change for its audience. In my experience, when a product attempts to change itself too much to fit the current trends, it ends up neither pleasing hard core fans, nor attracting new ones. History has shown this time and again. This is just my opinion, but society and pop culture in general has not taken a positive turn in recent years. If the Muppets tried to match this (again, too much), no one will gain anything.

I don't think it's that today's audience has rejected the classic Muppets. It's that they've barely been given a chance to see them. I can see Disney eventually going more in the nostalgic direction, as well as some new ones, but again, it will take some time.

6. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

I wish I was that optimisitic

7. Marky

Marky Member

I heard many, many plans in 2005 right out of Martin Baker's mouth to bring the Muppets back in full force. When Eisner went, so did the Muppet plans.

Unfortunatley, apart from DVD releases, they are mothballed - plain and simple. It sucks, and it's true. I don't know how else to put it.

8. Marky

Marky Member

Stating they (they being Disney) have shelved the Muppets is not meant a scathing remark. It may not be what we (myself included) may not wish to hear or believe - but... they did shelve them, and how me stating that is to be taken holds no bearing on the fact that it's true.

9. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

But they havent shelved them. They have released a Christmas album, there was the Muppet Wizard of Oz and they have made several TV appearances. Just because they havent been utilized to the capacity that most fans (including myself) would like to see them used does not mean that the have been shelved.

10. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

Projects are in the works.It is just that they are taking their time on getting it right.

11. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

and I would rather have it take time and be right instead of putting them out there right away to suck

12. I agree. Its best to take the time to do it right. Not just cram them down everyones throat.

13. TellyM

TellyM New Member

Wow...

Even *I* haven't heard of this... not that I could talk about it if I had...

hint.

hint.

14. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

*double take* Hubba hubba wha? *ahem* Well! It looks like we've got someone in the know here! Well, I won't bug you with questions, just good to know that it hasn't been totally scrapped.

...Or has it? :p:shifty: :concern:

15. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

And I don't suppose you can disclose why you would have heard of it? :coy:

16. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

I knew that.They decided not to go with this and may come back to it, but are concentrating on the mini movies.See my post #577 back on page 39.

17. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

So I take it America's Next Muppet, the "Muppet mini movie interstitials" and the Mockumentary series will go the way of
    other famous Muppet productions: in the vault, only to be whispered to be out in tape trading circles years later. Lovely.

My wish has always been for someone on the inside to leak this stuff on youtube...be it the 2002 Fox Prime time show pitch, or some of this stuff.

Has there even been a review by someone whose seen the mockumentary thing filmed, even just a description?

THANK GOODNESS the writer's strike appears over, as it is time for Disney to finally bring about the glorious new era of the Muppets.

18. Luke

Luke Active Member

From what i gathered the Muppet Newsflash got the story about the "Muppet mini movie interstitials" a bit confused - these were the Disney XD interstitials, so we HAVE seen them. Nothing else was shot, and never intended to be. The Disney Channel was being confused with The Disney "XD" Channel (easy mistake) so it was a case of chinese whispers, and another story entirely making it out.

"Americas Next Muppet" was shot at a Disney park and likely ended up as a very short pitch show, but there was always a lot of wrangling about the format - i think the last fans heard it would have been a totally scripted spoof. I think rather then being a series they oughta have combined it with some improv and done a two part Muppet TV special. Scripted and pre-taped the first show of auditions, with semi finalist being picked. Then have the public actually vote on the winner and reveal it in a live show with the Muppeters improvising the characters.

19. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

No, the Disney Channel interstials and the Disney XD content were two different projects. However I don't know if the Disney Channel intersitials ever got out of development and were ever filmed. The project, which would team the Muppets with the Disney Channel stars in short sketches in order to open the characters up to a new audience, was a big buzz around Muppet Studios last summer. However I haven't heard anything about the idea since about September - the writers strike may have played a hand in delaying/killing the concept, or it could have just been abandoned for some other reason (creative/marketing/logistical/budgetary), or they could still be coming (but just taking longer than expected). I don't know but the Disney Channel shorts and the DxD videos were two separate projects.

As some may remember that Dave Goelz himself mentioned three exciting projects back in June (video) - Disney Channel interstials, new webisodes (the Disney XD stuff) and
    the big, "top secret" and "very cool" project (that is still coming, and they should start working on again as soon as the writers strike ends).

20. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I know you would have probably reported it if you knew, but do you know if bits of the mocumentary will make it to Disney XD? The webcam thing really seems like a written bit from the reported ten minute piece. :) :o