Muppet Show DVD season box sets announced

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
If Disney is handling this, I'm assuming we won't get little tid bit insides like box art and cover design or anything like that? Just a tentative release date.
It depends on the product. Sometimes Disney just slips a product out there with no warning. Other times things like coverart, disk details, release date, ect. get out early and they promote it. It all depends on the product. Being that this would be a box-set, a collectors item, and something they put some work into (it's not just slapping a special/movie/show onto DVD; they created some extras for it too) it seems like something they would give some warning and info about; it just may be a little tougher to track down outside of the Disney information junket than other products. I've been able to get "advanced" information and warning on many Disney DVD-TV box sets. It all depends on where you look. But as of now nothing has been said or shared. :smirk:

I hope we get an annoucement, or more information soon.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hmmm... Wouldn't it be great if they had the ITC or whatever closings still in tact, but had a disclaimer saying that it's their property now?

Anyway, I am hopeful, though weary of such a thing. I love DVD box sets, but I can never afford them. I have a few, all given as gifts. Of course, I had a DVD player only a year....

With that said,I am worried of 2 things... 1 being the UK skits. Will they be in tact? and 2, any appearances by SS characters. I would't doubt they are still in tact, but is there any problem so far?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Disney may not own the SS characters, but they appeared as guests. I mean, they'd be guest stars like Christopher Reeves as Superman or Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman (even though she never dressed up like her, there were lots of references), those characters are owned by DC/Warner Bros., so as long as the credits say stuff like the SS characters are registered blah blah blah, it shouldn't be a problem... at least I hope not.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's not too much that I'm worried as concerned. I bet there'd be some royalty they'd have to pay and a disclaimer at the end of the episode. I'm going out on a limb on this, but the SS characters appeared on the Columbia/ Time Life videos after SW bought the rights and EMTV had the Muppets, right? I know they still had them in the movies. That's as far as I know.

I hope they can work something out with SW... they can use the SS characters appearing on SS, SW can use old Kermit the Frog clips.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
The Sesame character would not need to be cut. Just a simple addition to disclaimer on the disk to say Sesame Character Trandmark of Sesame Workshop, bla, bla, bla.

There are several specials, films or TV shows that blur the line between ownership. For example “The Christmas Toy” and “Emmet Otter’s Jugband Christmas” (both Henson owned productions) feature Kermit the Frog (a Disney owned character); although Kermit is not owned by Henson, the production is. The parts with Kermit can stay in the production without editing him out or payig big bucks in future releases or airings. Likewise “A Muppet Family Christmas”, “The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years” and “The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson” (which features Muppets, Henson characters, and Sesame characters) is owned by Disney and can be used uncut. The “un-owned” characters can not be licensed for merchandise (Disney can't make a Sproket doll just cause he was in "A Muppet Family Christmas"; nor can Sesame Workshop make a reporter Kermit action figure) and the non-owned characters can not be used as the “selling point” of a product (Kermit can’t be overplayed on the Emmet Otter DVD cover to “trick” people into buying the special thinking it is a Kermit/Muppet/Disney production). Disney-owned “The Muppet Movie”, which features Sesame Workshop-owned character Big Bird, does not need editing; likewise Sesame Workshop-owned “Follow that Bird”, which features Disney-owned Kermit does not need editing.

The Muppet Show episodes with Sesame characters are no problem, it just means adding an extra sentence to the legal stuff on the package and DVD. I would not worry about losing the Sesame segments.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Thanks... I just need some reassuring. Anyway, I was always wondering about the TMS/SS crossovers in Movies. Henson owned both at the time, but there still was a disclaimer saying "Oscar the Grouch appears courtesy of CTW" at the end of GMC....

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yes, but it only mentions them as 'Rumoured.' Still, we can hope, no?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
It is not official, it is a Disney fan site who has shared the rumor of a box set being in the works by Disney on a list of upcoming Disney DVD. They do not have anymore information than we have here, and it is just listed based on the same information we have. It is no more comformation of a set coming.