Muppet Show DVD season box sets announced

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
lowercasegods said:
Obviously I'm as excited about this as any Muppet fan, but I can't help being a little bit frustrated at yet another attempt to release the Muppet Show on DVD, since each attempt has gone a little haywire. TimeLife released their set a few years ago, and I don't know if they just weren't selling or what the deal was, but that dried up. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I apologize if I am), but I'm not certain they ever finished releasing the full set of seasons, assuming they weren't just doing a "best of" collection. Then the Henson family released their own Muppet Show DVDs which had nothing but potential. Now, with the Muppet acquisition by Disney, that series was brought to a hault. So now Disney itself is releasing the supposedly full season to season collection. That's great news, assuming they stick to their guns, plow through and actually deliver the full goods. As for now, so many of us out there have been trying to piece together a full collection from the TimeLife and Henson releases to little or no avail. When Disney releases their collection, we'll be left with the realization that we wasted so much money on those other DVDs and will be getting a lot of the same material we already own on the new DVDs. Maybe for the more financially stable Muppet fan this isn't a problem. But some of us could barely eek out the cash for the past series'. All I'm saying is, I'm excited about these new DVDs, but this had better be the all encompassing, seeing-it-to-the-end collection that we've been promised for years, because I cannot afford another discontinued DVD collection, and am not interested in unnecessarily owning multiple copies of episodes whose only difference is having different distributors.
I agree 100%, it had better be all or nothing. My muppet collection is rather small, but I do try to get a smuch as I can on VHS/ DVD and I in no way can afford to spen loads of cash on something that is below average. It is a concern, and i will probably wait untill the DVDs comes out and the hype dies down before I start collecting them.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
The Good Doctor said:
I will probably wait untill the DVDs comes out and the hype dies down before I start collecting them.
Just be careful; Disney likes to do limited time releases of DVDs and VHSs so don't wait too long after the release or they may no longer be avalible (except on places like ebay which they will be running top dollar).

christyb

Reaction score
That's great advice. But don't worry I don't plan on waiting when they come out. (No matter how much of a nut my mother thinks I am)

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Just as a guide here, a season box set of 24 half-hour episodes (plus extras) from Disney (based on past releases) could run you anywhere from $29.99 to $39.99 (for all 5 season that would be any where from $149.95 to $199.95 spread out over 2-3 years).

So based on the estimation on when we would see the first season release (and how long after that until season 5 would be released), and using the worst case scenerio from the price range: here is a little tip: if you can set aside $4 a month (less than 1 dollar a week - or around 13 cents a day), starting now and continuing until the last season is released (it could take 2-3 years), you should have no problem keeping up financially with the releases (in fact you may find you have a buch of extra cash afterwards).

zootsuit

Reaction score
This is the best muppet related news i've heard in quite some time. I have only this to say to Disney critics : We have muppet show box sets coming out, a new T.V movie, a great new muppet web site and what i like to imagine is the possibility for new muppet attractions at the parks....what are you complaining about ?!...speaking of the muppet website....Isn't it cool?! I love the pop up muppet clips...and the list in the news stand section of all the upcoming appearances on television and radio. HOORAH ! :smile: :cool:

radio boy

Reaction score
I hope they release them in australia. Because of currency i basicly have to pay as much for it to be imported :cry:

Douglas Fir

Reaction score
Well I've arrived a bit late to the party, but - woooooooooo-hooooooooooo!!!

I own all 15 Time Life DVDs, the 3 UK "Very Best Of..." DVDs, and the 4-disc HMV UK exclusive box-set... and I have no problem double-dipping (or is that quadruple dipping?) and buying full-season sets (especially as Season 1 is one of the most over-looked when it comes to episodes previously released on DVD)!

Also I noticed several people here bashing Time Life... I actually think they did a great job and I've watched their 15 DVDs more than enough to have gotten my money's worth (plus I love the Odyssey Channel extras such as The Empire Strikes Back Screen Test so much that if those weren't included on these new sets I would keep the Time Life ones just for those short clips alone). I also think that the Muppets sold well for them - and those good sales probably at least helped influence Disney's decision to release Season sets.

Also for those demanding all the extras I'd personally like them to spread out stuff throughout the releases. So the "Of Muppets & Men" special should really be included on Season 5 (because that's when it came out) and not on Season 1. I would like to see the two pilots included as part of the Season 1 release though - that would be cool!

Also how about audio commentaries from the Muppets (i.e. the performers doing the commentaries in character). Maybe even include more recent Muppets such as Pepe :rolleyes: commenting on the good 'ol days!

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
What I Know About It

Disney is planning to release season box sets of The Muppet Show. The first one will release in July or December 2005 or 2006.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Muppet Frog said:
Disney is planning to release season box sets of The Muppet Show. The first one will release in July or December 2005 or 2006.
Where did you hear that from? What's your source? That is a broad (and strange) range for release dates July 2005, December 2005, July 2006, or December 2006. Where did this information come from?

I doubt it would take them over 2-years to compleate the first season, I know DVD sets take time, but I don't think any took over 2 solid years of work to get out. I would expect the first sometime in the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2005.