Muppet Show DVD's on clearance until June 30

dwmckim

Reaction score
I dont see all this as bad news...just the opposite.

For one thing, one of the things that made the Time Life DVDs attractive was the exclusivity. Now the same dvds are available in stores under the Columbia label. For TL, its not a line that makes good sense for them to continue regardless of how successful it may have previously been. Not to say of course that additional volumes beyond the 15 may not come out on Columbia.

...but also its time for this dvd line to go off into the sunset. More and more season box sets are dominating the tv shows on dvd market and the Best of The Muppet Show line is pretty poor value all things considered in terms of bang for the buck and amount of shows released. This clears the path for The Muppet Show to come out in a dvd package that it truly deserves. And of course the Disney factor could very well have an impact in that Disney may be looking at offering dvds themselves.

It would be a fools bet that there will eventually in the future be even more Muppet Shows on dvd. It may not be right away though. Time will tell if Columbia will be releasing more of the discs first (and any episodes besides the Time Life ones) and whether or not they do, i would imagine there would most likely be some time between the end of the Best of... line and whatever Muppet Show dvd line comes next both in order to create more demand and less confusion between the two and also hopefully to take the time to really put together something fantastic. Maybe this means later this year...maybe it may mean five years from now. In the meantime, enjoy the discounts if you havent got all your TL dvds yet, and dont look at this as an end to Muppet Show dvds...just the end of this chapter.

JustinMullender

Reaction score
UK... Can anyone help?

Hiya - This is great news... But alas I'm in the UK and they won't post to me... Can I hook up with anyone that would process an order and ship it back to me in the UK... Please email me as this would be quicker...

Beth C

Reaction score
Considering the 15 vol set is backordered, I have no idea when they are going to ship them, if at all. I put in my order on Tues of last week when I had the 10% off PLUS free shipping coupon.

I hope they don't wait months to ship them. I'd cancel my order before then.

:frown:

~Beth C

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
lowercasegods said:
As good of news this is for anxious purchasers, it seems to imply that the Muppet Show DVDs were not a successful product, which kills me. I was thrilled that they were releasing these DVD's, and I cannot see why more people wouldn't have gone crazy for them.
I work in retail, and I can tell you the volumes Sony/Columbia have put out are suceccesful, at the store I work at we're always selling out of them at 14.99 each! The movies sell well there too.
:smile:

gymkatarules

Reaction score
I only needed the last five, so I just bought the 15 set.

Perhaps the extra ten will be worth a bit more someday. I'll probably end up trading them, though (anyone interested, email).

-Chris

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Wait, if they are on backorder wouldn't that mean they would be sold out of the dvd's? Or could I still send my money?

BigTiny

Reaction score
eBay Saturation

Phillip Chapman said:
Well, if worse came to worse you could maybe buy the 15 disc set for $51 (with the 15% discount). They'd be just a little more than if you bought the 5 discs seperately for $10 each. You could then put the 10 disc set up on eBay or offer it in trade to another forum member.
eBay seems to be saturated with Muppet Show DVD's right now. Seems to me that your best bet is to hold your set until the Christmas season when they will likely sell for more.

Deadwall

Reaction score
Wait, if they are on backorder wouldn't that mean they would be sold out of the dvd's? Or could I still send my money?

Yep, that's what I want to know. I got in on the tail end of this ordering and I fear that my order will not be accepted due to backorder status. I've got them all on VHS, but I've been waiting for something like this deal to get the DVD's!

I'm one of those poor saps that got a VHS in the mail every week or so from Time Life as they were released. So, I paid waaaaaay to much for the collection, I should have waited. :frown: Oh well. :sympathy: If this DVD thing goes through, I'll feel a whole lot better about my original purchases.

Does anyone have any past experience in dealing with Time Life? Does backorder potentially mean I won't get my DVD's? Anyone with Info... or logical guesses?

-deadwall

Beth C

Reaction score
I'm begining to wonder how long we do have to wait for backorder. If it doesn't come by 8 weeks, do we pretty much figure we aren't going to get it? I wish they had a time frame listed. Keeping $54 in my bank account isn't going to be easy.

I got in on the tail end as well. :frown: Dunno if I'm ever gonna see them.

~Beth C

dbarrie

Reaction score
dwmckim said:
I dont see all this as bad news...just the opposite
I agree, DW,

People really want to go after the complete series on DVD, not these skimpy best-ofs. Just look at all the other popular shows that are selling complete box sets, like "Friends," "M*A*S*H" and "The Simpsons." Cult shows like "The Critic" and "Family Guy" are also selling well. You can even buy that stupid "Saved by the Bell" on DVD! This trend isn't likely to slow down anytime soon.

A few months ago I wrote in another thread that I was thinking of buying the TMS best-ofs. Now I'm relieved that I only bought 2 volumes, because I'm going to take my chances and wait for the entire series (probably on 5 box sets). Now that TMS is owned by Disney, I am optimistic, albeit cautiously, that they will get released to DVD. If this does happen, they'll probably get released in the next 1-2 years.

It is the end of a chapter, but the beginning of a new one. :smile:

OI MuppetFan