1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Muppets Auditions Sept 2005+

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Fozzie Bear, Aug 25, 2005.

1. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I've got a car rented and ready to go! Plus we're gonna leave kinda early to make sure we miss morning rush hour.

See you there!

:)
    Anthony
  2. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I'm not renting a car...so...I'm hoping for the best. If nothing else, I'm taking the taxi OR walking from the Burbank Airport to the hotel. It's only a mile or so away.
    Okey donkey!
    ============================

MUPPET FAN & PUPPETEER DINNER

With the help of "Was Once Ernie," we've got a designated meeting place and time for the Muppet Fan/Puppeteers Get-Together in Los Angeles. Everyone is encouraged and invited to attend!! Oh, and while you can't use a hand-puppet at the auditions, bring your puppet character anyhow to the dinner!!

If you are interested in going, email me at FozzieMup@aol.com and put "Puppeteer Dinner" in the subject head. That way we can keep a count. They have a party room they could reserve for us if 35 people are going, otherwise we'll have tables.

Currently the reservation is for 10 people. The reservations are going to be at the following location under the name of "PUPPETEERS," Saturday, September 24th at 7:00 pm.

Tony's Bella Vista
    3116 W Magnolia
    Burbank, CA 91505
    Phone: (818) 843-0164

It's not too far from the audition hall, and serves up italian cuisine. I'd suggest checking out MapQuest (or some such) for directions from your location to there.
  3. Fozzie Bear

One other thing: In case someone has spaghetti, be sure you ScotchGuard (R) your puppets! :zany:

folks should test the ScotchGuard on a similar piece of material first to ensure that it doesn't fade the material.
  4. Jinx

Jinx Member

I think maybe we should all have dinner under the table with our puppets held above. That would be sure to turn a few heads, now wouldn't it? :D
  5. Fozzie Bear

Okay, then. At some point in the night, we'll have to duck out of the view and have someone take a photo of just our puppets sitting at the table. If someone does NOT bring a puppet, they have to stay in view!!
  6. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

Aw phooey, I have to be at LAX at 6 pm that night to fly home!

I WANNA SEE PICTURES!!!

:)
    Anthony

P.S. Are you sure you don't wanna change the dinner to Friday night?

Hee-hee :zany:
  7. Fozzie Bear

AAUUGGH! No! No, you can't do that. Call the airlines and tell them they aren't leaving until 9 pm that night so you can come to dinner at least an hour.
  8. mummytomb

mummytomb Member

I agree. I'm going to a Dodger game at 7:10 Saturday.
    Friday would be much better.
    Also, Some of us won't be in the area on Saturday, as it is a call back date. I suggest Friday because we will all need eachother and we will all have the experience of Day 1 fresh on our minds. Our vocal forum would be so inspirational after such a huge event for each one of us.

I ramble.
  9. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

One thing about doing it Friday night -- who knows how late the auditions are going to go? It could be a really late evening.

Steve
  10. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

I saw somewhere where 2 puppeteers got maried and they had all the guests bring puppets or vent dummies
  11. Fozzie Bear

Thanks. That's one of the things I was keeping in mind about that. Also, folks don't want to be up too late the night before an audition anyhow, and we know us: once we all get to talking and puppet-ing and being our usual online selves, we'll wander off-topic, "muffin" the meeting, and have too much fun to call it quits early! That's why I chose Saturday evening.

So far, there's quite a few who's making it to the dinner. Wish others could go, too.
  12. mummytomb

mummytomb Member

Thanks.

Thanks a heap.
  13. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Still trying to decide if I will be able to go to the audition. I live about 5-10 minutes away from Burbank so it wouldn't be a hassel to drive out there. Aaah I can't decide.
  14. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Go! Gogogogogo!! Bear, GO! Even if it's just for the experience. Go, go go go.
  15. Fozzie Bear

BTW: Just because I've got something scheduled for Saturday night doesn't mean folks can't still get together through the week. If you've got an opportunity to plan something out do it and post the info here.

I just wanted something to wrap the weekend up for everyone, but also wouldn't interfere with 'rehearsals' or 'practice sessions.'
  16. MGov

MGov New Member

Why would a puppeteer NOT do this?* I mean, I've been a Sesame Street and Muppet fan for as long as I can remember. I've made paper puppets, real puppets, I tried to teach myself ventriloquism.

But I've also done a lot of acting, writing and directing. I never planned on puppeteering being a career. But the chance, any chance, to audition for the Muppets comes along and I would hate myself for passing that chance up.

If I get bounced at the pingpong ball stage or because my voices aren't good enough or because I'm left-handed, at least, when the opportunity came along, I was there. And not being good enough for the Muppets certainly isn't going to stop me from using puppets in my work.

I've seen it posted many times here, that it is very difficult to get into a Muppet/Sesame audition. They are going to see a lot of puppeteers in a short period of time and are going to have a great selection to choose from in the future. Which will make it even more difficult to be seen by them in the future. Why not go for it now?

Everyone has to make their own decision. And if someone is being completely honest with themselves and know that, right now, they just aren't good enough, then that's respectable.

But if the only thing that is keeping people from going to this audition is fear of failure or fear of success or even fear that the dream of working with the Muppets will end now, well...

*footnote: other than the obvious reasons like too far away, four broken limbs, dog ate my puppet, etc.
  17. Penelopepitstop

Penelopepitstop New Member

Yes! Yes! yes!

Exactly why I am going to LA! A chance a hope a dream! FUN
    and an opportuinity to meet my Peeps :zany:

The lovers the dreamers and me! :)
  18. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Thanks, Mrs. P. I dunno. I am not primarily a pro puppeteer by trade like most of you are. I am an actor. I do like to play around with some of my toy Kermit and Grover puppets sometimes. Thats about all I have done. I think I would do okay. I like to do voices and things and I have watched Muppets my whole life so I pretty much know the Henson technique, but I dunno if I should bother. I think maybe I should just stick to sending my resume and headshot to Sesame Workshop casting for the human cast as I was thinking about instead. It doesn't matter, I just really want to be a part of Sesame Street someday.
  19. Jinx

Jinx Member

C'mon, Bear! There's no reason why you can't audition as a puppeteer and a live-action performer! I spend a LOT more time onstage than I do behind a playboard, but puppeteering is just a different form of acting. The way I often describe it when I am teaching a workshop is as a "tanslative" performance. By that I mean, as an an actor you know when to look up, when to look left, when to bring energy up, when to bring it down. Puppetry requires exactly the same results, you just have to translate what is ordinarily in your entire body into your hands. Your wrist becomes your neck, etc. etc., but the acting instincts are identical.

On another note, some of the best times I've had in my life have been going for huge auditions where all I got was a "thank you very much". But the fellowship shared with fellow performers gave me experiences I will never forget. And because of those experiences, I am far, far less intimidated (if at all) in an audition environment. It can only make us grow.

And since you're right in the neighborhood, well, just come on down!
  20. Fozzie Bear

Come to dinner if nothing else, Bear.