Muppets.com relaunches with Disney XD

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
It can't all be comic gold.

The latest blog clips are just not the best work on the site so far. There's some really good stuff on Muppets.com that outweighs any missed opportunities at humor. I do agree with your statement that you expect too much. No one could meet the mark you've set for Kermit. It doesn't make your criticisms invalid - just unduly harsh at times IMHO. :wisdom:
I'm not saying anything about it being funny myself but when you have taken over the role of some one else's character I would think you would want to do it justice and perhaps to a T.
But to me it's sort of become or seems to me like forget Jim was ever Kermit and let's just pretend it was always Steve and Steve is great, don't dare ever say anything about his performance.
I do think Steve is a great performer btw just not as Kermit, well wait that's only half true.
Some time's like I said he's very good at it, other times it seems to me that it's just Steve the frog and not Kermit the frog. *shruggs*
Yep guess I'm just not a Kermit fan anymore, gotta face the harsh facts. Steve's made me less than excited about Kermit.
But in the same hand he's made me excited about the News Man being back.
Like I said good with the bad..
Oh well I still enjoy most of the other characters.
Well...the majority of non-fans who I know either only remember Animal and the Chef, or think Miss Piggy was a bi-atch. I had one friend rant for about ten minutes just the other day about what a bi-atch Miss Piggy used to be. If they can't even get that right, what do they know about the deeper meaning of clips or puppet design? No offence meant.
He's a film student an a fan of Jim's work just not crazy like us and knows every single characters name.
Frankly Miss Piggy could be taken that way if you watch every season it seems she becomes more and more of what you say people think of her.
Allot of the people I know do remember those characters you listed it's true but they remember allot of other things like mahna mahna and hugga wugga also because of those old Playhouse Video tapes that where out in the 80's.
It's probably why we see Snowths in that Hannah Montanna special coming out.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, I would not give up any Kermit fandom I ever had (and that is a lot of fandom) just because the new person playing Kermit does not fit him..I would just go back and watch the older movies...It's not like a new actor just overrides the fact that an older one was there :wink:.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Ya know, I actually thought Kermit was very much in character in the "Kermit's Blog" video. He didn't really like the pun so much as he just went along with it. It's not my favorite clip on the site, certainly, but it is good.

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
I don't know, I really like Steve's Kermit. Obviously he's different, but would people have disliked Kermit if he had originally been Steve's?

The reason Kermit seems a bit simplified, I guess, is because Steve had to pick up a character that had already been established and couldn't really add any new characterizations without them seeming awkward and everyone being "That's not how JIM used to do it."

Redsonga

Reaction score
Ya know, I actually thought Kermit was very much in character in the "Kermit's Blog" video. He didn't really like the pun so much as he just went along with it. It's not my favorite clip on the site, certainly, but it is good.
For me it wasn't his character, the tone of his voice just sounded a bit off for him :eek:. His 'ack!' sounds were fine though:excited:
Obviously he's different, but would people have disliked Kermit if he had originally been Steve's?
Maybe they would have..But then, he most likely would not have been the Kermit we know, or might not have even been made in the first place to need someone to play him :stick_out_tongue:. It's one of those things where the maker and the character are strongly linked and it will never go away but that is not exactly a bad thing IMHO :smile:. At least Kermit's character has some strong character to work with, not like some other characters like Mickey Mouse that are a little bit like happy lumps of clay that are changed for everything :\

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have seen every single Muppet movie in the theater (even the muddled Muppets From Space that broke my heart) this will be no exception no matter what. It's the second viewing that's in question. The only Muppety/Henson film I avoided like the plague was Elmo in Grouchland (how can they make a film about Grouchland with so little Oscar is beyond me and became the final nail in the coffin of my ever fully appreciating Elmo, but Dave's chicken was cool). Whew...he he. I'd rather have seen a Bert & Ernie film or Follow That Bird sequel.

Back to the Muppets. People seem to either love her or hate the pig. I feel she's been a bit misused lately and some of the puppets have been unattractive. Honestly, i'm just thankful she lost that bad 80s perm. :mad:

That latest Piggy puppet is terrible. I'm glad that a future poser reportedly won't be based on this Puppet Heap monstrosity due to that company's privacy practices concerning work product. We know Terry can do much better and fantastic things! :coy:

Redsonga

Reaction score
(and I'm talking both personality AND looks here, and no excess chubbiness please)
And what is wrong with chubbiness? Hm? HM? *pokes*
I actually always liked her 80's hair and the tragic past part, I've been a fan of piggy since I was little...But I hate her new hair and the shallow diva thing they seem to be pushing on her now. Sure, she was always full of herself, but she wasn't an airhead :\.
Awah, and all the leopard print things, ew :stick_out_tongue:. But that is another fashion rant...

Anyhow, ever since I was little I sort of didn't like that they downplayed the fact that she was a pig and never had her doing anything really piggish...A movie where she is finally forced to go home again and they are all farm style pigs would be so funny to see, after she gave Kermit so much fuss about his family in the swamp :wink:.
As for chubbiness, it would be more realistic, she is a pig not a Barbie doll. I think one of the points behind piggy was you don't have to be a size two to be pretty and get the guy ^.^.

If not I'll avoid it like I did Muppets in Space and Kermit's Swamp years (frankly I don't care enough about the frog to watch anything that features exclusively him. He's frankly a bore most of the time.
He is one of my favorite characters :smile:. But then I'm one of the few that liked Kermit's Swamp years, and Muppets In Space...Not more than the classics mind you, but I rewatch them :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And what is wrong with chubbiness? Hm? HM? *pokes*
I actually always liked her 80's hair and the tragic past part, I've been a fan of piggy since I was little...But I hate her new hair and the shallow diva thing they seem to be pushing on her now. Sure, she was always full of herself, but she wasn't an airhead :\.
I agree, there's a lot of disrespecting of Piggy lately and it's so annoying (and sexist by the way, seriously). She was a great female character and pop culture didn't know what they had.

I hate to say it, but I'm not a fan who will go to see a movie no matter what. I'm going to try and hear from reviews first, either from here or the magazines. There's been two times in my life when I've walked out of a theater (or REALLY wanted to) during a non Muppet film and I do not want to go through that again.

Luke

Reaction score
I watched that Kermit blog video, it did seem awkward. Like Kermit just wasn't himself and Fozzie was too overbearing. OverBEARing ... Get it? haha

Redsonga

Reaction score
I agree, there's a lot of disrespecting of Piggy lately and it's so annoying (and sexist by the way, seriously). She was a great female character and pop culture didn't know what they had.
It's true, she taught me it is okay to give my friends a HI-YA every once in a while if they needed it :wink:. Not always a real HI-YA, but a mental one works to ;3.
Turning her into the cover of Cosmo just makes me sad :stick_out_tongue:...
I watched that Kermit blog video, it did seem awkward. Like Kermit just wasn't himself and Fozzie was too overbearing. OverBEARing ... Get it? haha
I think it is because they never let poor Kermie just be himself and do a full blog, I'm sure his everyday life has to be just as funny (as people butting in on him or not getting the camera right), since he has to act as the sane glue with many of his friends :smile: