Muppets/L.A. Times article

How do you feel about the Classic Muppets' future?

• I want them to return to glory and I think they will.

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • I want them to return, but I just don't see it happening.

Votes: 33 50.0%

• Total voters

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree. They've tried "updating" the Muppets for the current generation, and it hasn't worked. And how do they know the current generation wouldn't like the classic Muppets? They've barely been given a chance.

beaker

Reaction score
wes said:
Yeah but Disney also knows that the Muppets are not as great as they once was (do to Jim's death) and they know they are taking a chance if they try to revamp the Muppet.

Not to mention that this generation is different then our Generation. If Disney brings them back to the lime light, they will haveto be revamp to fit the current Generation. Not that I wouldn't like to see a New muppet show based on the old Heck yea, but I don't se that happening.

I think they should invest in new preformer in the muppet style like they did with Bill Barretta his charater are awesome!
Well a lot of young people of the newer generation sure liked that Weezer video the Muppets did in 2002, so as far as I see JHC was able to keep the Muppets hip and relevant.

The fact ya havent even heard any rumors or vague hints at "good things in the future" for the Muppets from anyone, is bad news.

Frogster

Reaction score
Hey, I know that even when Jim was around the Muppets weren't always perfect. Heck, if I was watching the first season back in '76, I probably wouldn't've watched it much, cuz the first season is... well, something else. But they got better and better (with a few exceptions), until the time of Jim's death. It's been 16 years since, and they haven't gotten better. I have no problem enjoying the past, though... and that's why I still love the Muppets.

Bubbadog

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I can't believe that I still see folks being doomsayers about the Diz's reign of The Muppets' franchise. That certainly isn't going to inspire them to be any more creative with the characters we all love.

Besides that, is negativity all that you've learned from The Muppets? If so, you've not been paying attention.

Give it time, wait--this is all still new to Diz.
Fozzie Bear, you make a great point.

As I've stated before though (in other posts, of course), my frustration comes from their snails pace releasing of the second season, and no resurfacing of old specials, etc.

(bites nails):eek:

Bubbadog

Reaction score
wes said:
Yeah but Disney also knows that the Muppets are not as great as they once was (do to Jim's death) and they know they are taking a chance if they try to revamp the Muppet.

Not to mention that this generation is different then our Generation. If Disney brings them back to the lime light, they will haveto be revamp to fit the current Generation. Not that I wouldn't like to see a New muppet show based on the old Heck yea, but I don't se that happening.

I think they should invest in new preformer in the muppet style like they did with Bill Barretta his charater are awesome!
I agree and disagree with you. (Which I have conveniently sectioned into two labels)-

Disagree:
I really think the Muppets are as great as they were before. Perhaps I am biased on the topic.

Agree:
But I agree with your comment on Barretta, he cracks me up with all of his characters (particularly Bobo and Pepe) and I think he's done a great job in taking over the voices of Rowlf and Dr. Teeth. I can tell the difference, but it's still very well done I must say.

With the "new generation" taking to the classic characters, I sadly agree with you on this. You see, I work in a middle school, we have a day every week where I bring in videos to watch, and when I bring in Muppet films or shows to watch, it's almost always dismissed by a comment like, "That's for babies!" and so forth. Meaning they don't get it. It makes me sad.
Basically the format would need to be retooled to meet the current generation (either with characters or story) while still maintaining the zany sweetness and wild goings on that is the Muppets.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's unfortuante that they dismiss it as baby stuff. Although middle schoolers are at that awkward age where nothing pleases them. I commend you for trying. I wouldn't give up, sometimes it's about finding the right video.

Based on experience, I think it's very difficult to update something, try to make it hip and current, without losing what made it special.

Personally, I don't want to send kids the message, "We know you think anything old is bad. Instead of teaching you you're wrong, we'll alter something that is already decent just to please you." But I do understand how hard it can be to reach kids on these things.

There are young people who enjoy the classic Muppets. It feels like their feelings are being ignored for the sake of some misguided people.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
muppetperson said:
Yes, and Diz are new at Diz too, if they keep changing staff and C.E.O's.:smirk:
Just saw this February 2006 point that was made, and agree now.

I'm ready for something new. It's been all year and we have a CD that was supposed to be released in December 2005 (if I remember correctly).

I think the Muppets are everything we want them to be, they're just not being 'handled' correctly.

Diz needs to step up to the plate and move forward. I don't think they're going to move the Muppets into obscurity, but (as has been said) I think they're going WAY TOO SLOW with this, especially considering the price they paid for it.

Where's the TV show? The Movie? Give us something, but do it RIGHT, Diz!

Marky

Reaction score
One comforting thought...

M. Baker said they needed 60+ puppeteers for new projects at last year's auditions. Maybe ONCE (hopefully not 'if')they get things going they'll a) hold more auditions or b) giver the runners-up to the 9 who went to Olando a ring-a-ling...

beaker

Reaction score
Kevin, I agree we need to stay positive...

but man...we haven't even had ANY 2007 details, plans or even hints of things to look forward to from Disney.

Again, not even rumors from Jim Hill or anyone else. That's bad.

Then again, as Muppet fans we've COME TO EXPECT massive news that just suddenly emerges out of nowhere(which seems to be the case for the biggest Muppet related news since Muppet Central began)

HOPEFULLY, soon...soon someone will say theyve heard *something*.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
In the course of 2007 I've become a bit more...I don't know.

They're all merchandise now--that's cool, but we need shows and stuff. That's what the Muppets do best.