Need help for avenue q puppets replicas

jcnegron

Reaction score
Congratulations Lab-rat

He is quite different actually.Takes a little to get accostumed to that. I think the original Rod was trying to be reminiscent of Bert (slightly in shape and mannerisms). It´s like if a completely different actor would be playing the part. But if that is the case with humans I don't see why not with puppets.

Your Rod is very good-looking and I love the hair. And I think yours have more detail in the ears etc..
Well done.

PS. Love your other replicas

Lab Rat

Reaction score
yeah it's weird when you are used to a look for a character then you see a different design, Trekkie will be red kate will be light purple etc.

darkranth

Reaction score
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UlBuj9moCJ8
I made a short video with photos of the making process of my replicas... Please tell me what you think...

By the way, is blizzard fleece's a good choice for making puppet skin? Is it flexible as polar fleece? And also, can I undye (is this word exist?) it?

Thanks for your help everybody!

Teenager's

Reaction score
That's a really cool vid so far darkranth!.....I like how they all look so far. Especially Trekkie. I like how you're carving them. Can't wait to see the finished puppets!

jcnegron

Reaction score
Hey Darkranth. Its still only foam, but I think that you achieved the likeness of Trekkie just perfectly.

Just be aware that it could grow very large after you put the fake fur on it.

darkranth

Reaction score
I was thinking of that too! I think the head is small so I tought it could grow with fur...

Greedo

Reaction score
yeah it's weird when you are used to a look for a character then you see a different design, Trekkie will be red kate will be light purple etc.
If you read some of the interviews with Mr. Lyon on his Ave Q puppet color choices, it may be a big help. He chose the colors he did for many character reasons, like Trekkie and Kate's fur color (both are brown so as to identify their Monster heritage, but Trekkie is more raucous and wild than Kate, thus the tuft of maroon fuzz on his head).
He hand-dyed the non-monster characters' fleeces. Nicky's nose color is the same as Princeton's orange color, Rod's nose color is the same as Nicky's green color, and Mrs. T's purple color is the same as Kate's eyelid color. Lucy the **** is bright pink with yellow hair to express her need for attracting attention to herself, and her eyelid color resembles Nicky's green color. The characters share colors to allude to the fact that everyone's connected to each other on the Avenue, in one way or another.

And never forget their roots! Rod = Bert, Nicky = Ernie, Trekkie Monster = Cookie Monster. Good luck with everything!:smile:

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
I would imagine it has to do with Rick not wanting his work to be associated with , pardon the expression,"Lesser Quality Puppets", i know if it was my designs,and my characters that were being dublictaed. i wouldnt want puppets that are not of the quality i provide to be associated with my work in anyway.

im sure Rick, and other designers feel the same way, we have all seen the less than stellar Rental Audrey Two puppets, some are great , but some are really poorly made.its just a way to safe guard an artist's reputaion,

this is not in any way a slam against LapRat(who builds great puppets!) or anyone else building puppets for local shows, just a generalization.

darkranth

Reaction score
If someone was redoing something I did, even in lower quality, I would feel glad because this person liked so much my work that he tried to do the same. But it depends. We should not encourage people duplicating your work for resell. But that's also a sign of admiration.