1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Need help for avenue q puppets replicas

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by darkranth, Feb 22, 2008.

1. darkranth

darkranth New Member

Hi, I just wanted to give an update of my puppets building process.
    I just finished a foam base for kate monster. So the next step is to find all the fur and the fleece. That's what I found;

For Trekkie Monster fur
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-YDS-FAKE-FUR-F...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

For Kate monster hair
    http://clothdollsupply.com/hair.html

for nicky and other characther without fur...
    http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3815&PRODID=prd7089

For Trekkie's Hair
    www.tonyhill.net/productCat95937.ctlg

for kate monster fur
    http://imstuffedfur.com/specials2500page3.html

I'm not sure for the kate hair. I looked at pictures of her and it look more like a wig...

Can you tell me if these are good material choices?

Thanks again!
  2. Danspuppets

Danspuppets Member

They look like some nice choices. The Kate monsters hair, however, you should use a wig. Go back on ebay and you will find some great deals on womens brown wigs. A medium length is about what you need and you can give her a hair cut when you get it.
  3. Greedo

Greedo New Member

Yahyahyah, Rick Lyon sed he used REAL hair for KM's hair. of course, a wig made of real hair. U don't need to go that far, but just some fun facts that may come in handy.:halo:

Everything else looks like it would be fabulous, but the Trekkie fur would also work for KM (maybe a little better too), just trim her fur.
  4. jcnegron

jcnegron Member

I think you should use a lighter shade on KM otherwise you won´t be satisfied with the final result, I believe, because you probably won't like to put KM & TM together looking like relatives.
  5. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I don't think anyone mentioned this, but I once spoke to Rick about eyes, and he mentioned that Trekkie's eyes are just 2 large, plastic spoons.
  6. Hack2112

Hack2112 New Member

Actually, the workshop was done at Stagedoor last summer. My friend was in it.

And no, I don't go to that camp. Just a fun fact.
  7. darkranth

darkranth New Member

I realised that I'm supposed to sew to fabric (sew: is that the right word?) on the puppet and that glue it is not a good idea. What do you think about that? Is sewing really hard? How long does it takes?
    Also did someone have an adress for a fur similar of kate's. And I can't find a wig that look enough like the originals...
  8. staceyrebecca

staceyrebecca Member

Sewing is not difficult at all! There are a lot of tutorials on youtube that will make it that much easier, too. Good luck!
  9. Greedo

Greedo New Member

Sewing ain't hard, per se, but sewing good takes a whole lotta practice I tell ya. I'm learning something new everytime I mess up on a puppet's construction (which is often!). It just takes practice, patience, and more sewing.
  10. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Member

11. darkranth

darkranth New Member

These are awesome puppets but there is something annoying about the new princeton's design. I think you could give him a smaller nose to make him cuttier. The bears have something strange but I really like nicky! Don't think I don't like the puppets it's just that the new design are weird when we know the originals... Good work!
  12. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Member

It's been a weird job for me cos they had to be quite different to the originals but still kind of recognisable.
  13. Onath

Onath Member

I like the rod you have even better than the original. Awesome work Phil.
  14. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Member

Cheers i think i prefer this design of Rod to the original.
  15. darkranth

darkranth New Member

I bought fleece on friday and today I covered my Nicky foam head with it. You were right sewing is not hard. Once I learn the way to do it it was really easy.
    So now I need fur for the hair. Where did you get yours Lab Rat?
    And how am I supposed to make the eyes (the white part)?
  16. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Member

I get most of my fur from e-bay and the eyes are made from plastic spoons.
  17. jcnegron

jcnegron Member

I also liked your Rod design. Princeton with a purple hair looks good. Maybe what Darkranth misses are the eyelids which are characteristic of Rick's princeton. What I am not sure is if the two bears would work together well, because the color of one is very bright and the other is pastel. Maybe if you add a bright tie for the blue bear and some pastel ornaments to the other it would compensate.
  18. darkranth

darkranth New Member

I already knew for eyes made from spoon but nicky's eyes don't have the shape of a spoon actually. Maybe I should make it with wood?

And I still can't find Nicky's hair... I think I could buy it from clothdollsupply.com but I'm not sure if the fur is 3" long so I sent an e-mail. I'm waiting for the reply...
  19. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Member

do you have any pics of your puppets so far?
  20. darkranth

darkranth New Member

Yes I can take some photos. I could use a photohoster tomorow.
    I received my response for the fur and it's 2" long. Do you think it's enough?
    Today I made the first hand... It's cool! I felt for the first time that I was really manipulating a real puppet!