Need help for avenue q puppets replicas

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
i think my point(not sure how clear i was), ist not the imitaion, or duplication that is at stake, its the perception that what is being present will to the uneductaed/untrained eye be seen as work done by the original craetor, when in fact it may not be, its aodd concept for sure,

sort of like "Off" Brand cereal, or juice, it may taste ok, and even look ok, but its not your product of choice, and if its not a good juice, or cereal, but the labeling is the same, it would reflect poorly on that company, or invidivual, does that help?

sort of like poorly made knock off toys, or appliances that you get a discount store. again this is not a slam against doing different looking puppets of high quality, im all for doing different puppets , i think it makes it afun show to work on when u are not stuck following the designs to the letter, im building some little shop of horror plants right now(on avery meager budget i might add) that looking nothing like Mrty Robinsons original, and i think the show is going to look really cool, and i think Labrats puppets are going to make for a very special production of Avenue Q,

the whole idea of making them look different from the Lyon Puppets original, or the Authoriuzed Reproductions that im sure will come down the pike , is mostly a desire to protect a "Brand" , and nothing else,

Greedo

Reaction score
If someone was redoing something I did, even in lower quality, I would feel glad because this person liked so much my work that he tried to do the same. But it depends. We should not encourage people duplicating your work for resell. But that's also a sign of admiration.
Imitation CAN be the highest form of flattery. It's wonderful practice for making original work, too. But it's definitely a slippery slope.

darkranth

Reaction score
Anyway my goal is not to resell them its only for my own fun!

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
I see where the confusion lies, i wasnt really commenting on your replicas, i did the same thing sort of when i was a kid trying to teach my self how to do stuff,

but it was about the conversation people were having about why Lab rat would have to make his puppets look different for the Q production he was working on

blemker

Reaction score
Ravage:
Well said. (I don't want to start arguments with others but...)

I think this practice of replication/copying/inspiration (whatever you want to call it) is such a gray area in the creative arts and tends to be misunderstood by artists and inspiring artists. We must understand that although skills are often learned and practiced by replication, that replication (by definition) is still the copying of someone's work.

To relate it to bigger business, this is why larger design companies in the fashion industry (purses, etc) pay millions of dollars to stop replications from being sold. These companies want and need to protect their product, their inspiration, their identities.

As artists, we must work to understand that we have all learned by practicing and replicating but when we look to sell our services, our laborsl, we must sell ours alone -- not the work, designs or inspiration of others.

Now to what extent does something stop being a copy and start being original work? That I think may never be answered but I do think that if someone says "that looks like" or "that is a likeness of" than it is way too close to the original.

Doug

puppets.dougblemker.com
http://puppets.dougblemker.com

darkranth

Reaction score
Well said blemker...
Copying for admiration is one thing. Copying for resell is an other. I think everybody here think like that.

jcnegron

Reaction score
Hey Lab Rat,

I ran into this page of one special production of Avenue Q

http://avenueqtwells.moonfruit.com/#/media/4527385039

Is that the production you are building the puppets for? Well maybe you are not allowed to say, but your descriptions fit on that.

But wait a minute, wait a minute! is that Nicky in your photo bucket? Ha ha ha, looks great! but that throws away what i just said..

Lab Rat

Reaction score
yeah that is the production i'm doing the puppets for i didnt do the re designs the pics on that website are all i have to work with so i followed nicky and gave him black hair but cameron mackintosh said it was still to close so i gave him the blonde hair you see in the photobucket pic.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
It's a small world hey. James Frost, a friend from the British Puppet Guild, is acting as puppetry tutor for it.