New movies coming out...

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Could someone give me a rundown of Garden State? I keep hearing that it's good but what is it? Is it a romance? A comedy? Is it comparable to any other movie I may have seen? I ask because there are a billion movies on my list to see and I bump movies up on the list based on how "must-see" people tell me they are. It's a flawed system because I'm relying on other people's opinions (like the person who told me Shaolin Soccer was the funniest movie out there...I don't listen to her anymore), but good movies such as Session 9, Pi, Donnie Darko and The Princess Bride are movies that have been recommended to me and I'm grateful for it because otherwise I probably wouldn't have seen them.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Garden State is a comedy, a drama, a romance, etc. Many critics compare it to The Graduate, which makes some sense. It's about a young man coming to grips with himself and the circumstances of his life in the wake of his mother's funeral. Lest that sound like too much of a downer, it's a very funny and touching movie, and one of my favorites of the past year. It also has a terrific soundtrack, and a real sweetness to it that never feels typical or manufactured. Definitely worth a shot...

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Garden State...

Well Ryan,here's the write-up from IMDB:

Andrew Largeman shuffled through life in a lithium-induced coma until his mother's death inspired a vacation from the pills to see what might happen. A moderately successful TV actor living in Los Angeles, "Large" hasn't been home to the Garden State in nine years. But even with 3,000 miles between them, he's been unable to escape his domineering father Gideon and the silencing effect he's had on his son from afar. Stunned to find himself in his hometown after such a long absence, Large finds old acquaintances around every corner living quite unique lives as gravediggers, fast food knights and the panderers of pyramid schemes. Meanwhile, at home, he does his best to avoid a long-simmering but inevitable confrontation with his father. By a twist of fate, Large meets Sam, a girl who is everything he isn't. A blast of color, hope and quirks, Sam becomes a sidekick who refuses to ride in his sidecar. Her warmth and fearlessness give Large the courage to open his heart to the joy and pain of the infinite abyss that is life.

Gideon(his father)is played by Ian Holm(Ash from Alien,and recently Bilbo Baggins from LOTR),Sam is played well by Natalie Portman,and Andrew Largeman is played amazingly by Zach Braff.I bought the soundtrack before I rented the movie.I'll prob. buy the movie within the week or two.It was very refreshing to watch.Having lost many family members recently,and having a life-style almost like Andrew's,I could really relate to this movie.My personality fits in very well to Natalie's Sam too.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Thanks very much to Dee and Andy Wan Kenobi. Methinks I shall be renting that flick along with perhaps The Clearing with Robert Redford. My wife really wants to see that one.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
The Last Castle and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid are probably my two faves of his. Wonderful actor.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
My favorite Redford roles are in The Sting(overall fav.),Butch Cassidy...,Last Castle,Sneakers,The Way We Were,Barefoot in the Park,Indecent Proposal.Very happy about Sundance,wish to go there someday.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Ah, yes, Indecent Proposal. Almost forgot about that one. Shame on me.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I think I may go and see Lemmony Snicket's U events on Saturday. (It's the only day that it's on at our cinema)

I think I will. Even if I'm dissapointed, better to be dissapointed at the cinema than having bought the DVD, right?