New movies coming out...

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I just watched a full version of HG2TG last night,looks promising,might go see it.Never read the books either. Will try to someday.

Drtooth

Reaction score
BTW, since the Movie is released by Disney, the preview for "Chicken Little" is piggy backing onto Hhg2g's eventual success (if any) by copying some key points of the movie. at least the "Don't Panic" written in friendly letters at the back of the book.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Seems the CGI animation genre is taking a hit. For people keeping score, seven CGI animated movies were released in 2004, and seven more are due to come out this year. In 2006, 11 CGI movies are planned for release including Disney/Pixar's Cars, Over the Hedge from Dreamworks and Curious George from Universal. The fear is that with so many animated movies, eventually they will just be recycling old material and they will cease to be entertaining (Hollywood's specialty). Referenced were examples of 2-D flicks that have fizzled including Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Sinbad, The Road to El Dorado, etc. These examples were compared to pretty if not really good animated features such as The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. Successful movies such as these get Hollywood's eyes seeing dollar signs and they want to cash in on the potential profits.

So here's my question:
Do you suppose movies such as The Incredibles, Shrek, Toy Story and Finding Nemo set the bar too high for future CGI movies? I know some of us here did not like The Incredibles (Dee), but it's originality, humor and heart made it a huge success. Finding Nemo has grossed well over $700 million bucks since its release. However, I don't know how many of you saw Shark Tale, but it's blahness could be the beginning of the end. Upcoming movies such as Madagascar and Chicken Little look hilarious based on the previews, but what does that prove? Good editing and a strong marketing budget, nothing more. Shrek has proven adept at inserting timely cultural references ("It's a thong!"), but was there really a need for a sequel, and possibly another one to come, and most likely a lot of copycats? LucasFilm has opened their own 3-D animation studio, so it looks as though the competition will be heavy. When Pixar breaks from Disney, I feel strongly that they will put out some good, thoughtful movies. I just hope the movie-going public will not condemn CGI movies after the upcoming onslaught before Pixar has a chance to put out something good.

Some upcoming CGI films to (maybe) look forward to:
Over the Hedge
Flushed Away
A Day with Wilbur Robinson
Cars
Ant Bully
Happy Feet
Curious George
The Barnyard
Open Season
Madagascar
Chicken Little

I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Beauregard

Reaction score
WARNING

If you are a Guide fan, DO NOT GO TO SEE THE MOVIE!

It sucks..worse. It is (And this is putting it lightly) the compleatly and utterly worst film I have seen in my copleat utter entire life! Period.

...mroe details when I have calmed down some.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Just picked up the book Bo,planning to read it soon.Thanks for the warning.I might still go see it.Lots of movies haven't been following books for quite some time,nothing new to me;but others might think different.:smirk:

Beauregard

Reaction score
JaniceFerSure said:
Just picked up the book Bo,planning to read it soon.Thanks for the warning.I might still go see it.Lots of movies haven't been following books for quite some time,nothing new to me;but others might think different.:smirk:
Weeeeell. I wasn't complaining because it wasn't to do with the book, but that dispite it's being practically a whole new story it hasn't grasped the fundimently edge of the book. THE characters are totally wrong...BUT...even if I didn't know how they were meant to be, it would still be the worst made film I've seen. Pink Panther looks good by comparison...heck, anything does.

This has been turned into a dumb-dumb, stupid, over-acted, under-budgeted, slap-stick, cheap-laughes, cheap-TV-comedy look-a-like...I've seen detergents that leave a better film than this!

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
films today...

Whelp,to me,the majority of films that have recently come out have a certain look(comic bookish),sense of humor(down the drain,dark & dumb);relying on CGI/poor acting/fast-paced/violence/gore/stunts without much of a plot to move the flick,expecting us the audience to pay over $10.00(ticket & concession) to sit still for a few hours and tolerate what is dished out.<shaking head> No wonder I rent films nowadays,LOL. I've been sticking to watching Indie & foreign films for the most part.Glad I've gone that route.

*leaving post,stage right*

Drtooth

Reaction score
Considering this is the same industry that gave us XXX, 102 Dalmations, and Gigli, I think Hitchhikers was pretty good, myself. They usually do screw up books when they make them TV shows or movies (They completely changed Jurassic Park, as you recall)

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I saw Hitchhikers Guide friday and I really hated the movie. I haven't read the book nor have I seen the television show. So I went in not knowing what the whole movie is about. The movie didn't make me laugh and I was getting tired of the robot voiced by Allan Rickman and how much he's depressed. Maybe I should have read the book or watch the television show but I just didn't like it.

1.5 out of 4 stars

ryan